difficult child's medication change

crazymama30

psychiatrist called. She talked about increasing Lamictal, and then suddenly said no, I don't want to do that. I had told her I had no idea what to do, it was up to her. With old psychiatrist he would have pushed me to try to decide, and probably would have wanted to up the stimulant.

She increased his abilify to 3 times a day. 5mg in the morning, 5mg after school, and 10mg at night. I do not like him being on this much abilify, but it worked. He is calm, nice, appropriate, and not violent. So for now, it is ok. Not sure what will happen when this dose peters out, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe this will hold for a while, you never know! Meanwhile, enjoy the "new normal" and all that comes with it!

C

cboz

Good luck with this! I hope it lasts a while. One day at a time, right?

Hi, I hope the medication combo works for a long time. Sounds like a good combo with the AP and mood stabilizer. Hoping he has no side effects. Maybe the psychiatrist will then have some room to increase the lamictal if the abilify poops out (but hopefully it will last and last and last). This is easy for me to say because I'm not his mom, but the abilify dose doesn't seem all that high. I like the way it's spread out over key times of the day. Does the 10 mg dose at night help him sleep?

Jo