difficult child's Personal (UN)hygiene is grossing me out!

Fran

Former desparate mom
lizinmd,those are wonderful suggestions but for the vast majority of our difficult child's, it's not an issue of not knowing how but of not wanting to do it. My son was bathed everyday as his life and went into the shower happily enough until the time he figured out he had a choice. Puberty created the negativity and it lingers on.
He thinks it's a waste of his valuable time to worry about hygiene or taking care of his body.
I banned him from my house unless he came in a clean shirt. I can't control what he does but I can control what's happening in my house. I'm sure he puts it on a not so clean body.
He is doing pretty well since he is working but he came fairly unshaven today. Ugh. I bit my tongue. It's his life. It's a basket C for me as long as he doesn't live with me.

CCRidr2

Sheena-Warrior Momma
Too FUNNY!! I also thought it was just our difficult child! It is a major struggle to get the hair cut much less to wash it so I actually let him grow it out for about 6 months (it grows fast). It was totally GROSS most of the time since one of his tics is to push at the front of his hair and twist it.....he looked like he had a mohawk with a mullet most of the time! :rofl: After the 6 months I had sister take a picture which I was sure would do the trick and VOILA! Haircut time....of course she put the picture next to a picture of her when she was about 6 and they looked identical! He said he was tired of looking like a girl....why he couldn't see it in the mirror every day is still a mystery to me. Now I just pull out the pictures and say "Your starting to look like your sister again" hehe!

We still go through a toothbrush about every few weeks because he chews it rather than brush with it and he still hates to get in the shower (he'll pour all the body wash down the drain and say he couldn't wash). Now dad or I stand guard at the back end of the shower curtain and watch him. I can't stand stink!! :bath:

neednewtechnique

I have a difficult time getting our difficult child to take showers, change clothes, etc. First of all, she would take showers lasting hours at a time, and never wash?!?!?!? What was she doing in there?!?!? So we finally tried to explain a good process that would allow her enough time to get everything clean and out of the bathroom in half an hour, and she decided to condition her hair without shampooing first, and decided that shaving her legs was more important than washing herself!! I don't get it!!! Then, she refused to brush her teeth, so I finally figured out it was because she didn't have the right kind of mouthwash. She wanted that new stuff made by Listerine that you swish around and it shows you the dirty spots...so I got it for her (enabling her??? yes probably, but what else could I do??) Then I found out she wasn't wearing deodorant, and asked her why, and she tells me she doesn't like the kind she has, so we went together and picked out some new that she liked, and she STILL doesn't wear it unless I force her, then there is always a meltdown...(basket a??? NOT EVEN CLOSE). THEN I found out she has worn the same bra for 3 weeks!!!! Why?!?!? because she didn't have any clean ones and it was too much work to put some in the laundry for me to wash for her!!!!!!! ARGHHHHAAAA!!!!! I TOTALLY am with you all on this one, WHY ?????? It's so gross!! There's one even better than that, we have started this thing, with her in AGREEMENT with us that she will have 20 minutes in the shower, and then the hot water goes off...if I find she didn't shampoo hair or wash with soap, she goes back in, and the hot water stays off....I expected that she would TOTALLY throw a fit about the idea, but she for some reason agreed...then I figured that the first time we followed through on it she would get ANGRY and throw a fit, and she didn't....I don't know why this works but it has been... but the other night, she came out of the shower and her hair looked a funny orangy color and I could not figure out why...then I found out that she tried to use my shampoo and I use the kind for redheads that supposed to keep the red bright rather than let it dull out, so it has some red tones in the shampoo that don't wash out...she has BRIGHT BLONDE HAIR so it turned her orange!!!!!! (improvement? yes. at least I know she washed her hair, right???? )

K

Kjs

My difficult child goes in streaks. Depending on his mood and if he has any friends at the time. If the friends are girls, I notice he will shower every morning and brush his teeth. He does brush his teeth and wash his face every morning. I have one rule that I will not allow to be broken. difficult child is 12, and chooses to have long hair. (touches his shoulders) If he wants his hair long, it must be clean. That means washed every other day for the least. if he cannot keep his hair clean, we will cut it off.
His bangs are just to his eyes and tapered around his face, but I can put little pigtails in when I am in a "I wish I had a girl mood". I don't tell him that. But I like to see what I can do. Luckily I don't have any girls because I really don't do a very good job with his hair.

I worked with someone years ago, a male, who just smelled so bad nobody could stand to be near him. Management had to tell him to wash up because he smelled. Our office complex had a fitness center with showers. He would work out and shower, come back with wet hair, but still smelled. Turned out it was a medical issue and had to do with some things he ate.

My easy child smells. He showers, but his feet just stink up the whole room. We finally told him he had to do something. Look into some powder, or odor eaters, buy new shoes....anything. He is better. He lost a lot of weight so maybe that helped too.

Marguerite

We still have to wash difficult child 1's clothes separately. When he's been girlfriendless, he's really let himself go. When he has a girlfriend, he's more careful. But he still avoids changing clothes, changing pyjamas or changing bedding because he prefers the familiar smell of his current stuff. He wears a deodorant and washes his hair at least twice a week, but it's still too long and he gets bad acne down his back and neck from the greasy hair.

A washing trick - I learnt years ago that to get out perspiration stains or sweat smell, you splash vinegar on it then soak it in enzyme soak. I found it gets out a great deal. I was in a local play and had to wear a suit which had previously been worn by a man who was a HEAVY chain smoker (I visited their house, and I kid you not, the room looked like there was a fog machine in it and the wallpaper, benches and cupboards were stained yellow-brown - wife was also a chain smoker). He also sweated a lot, especially under stage lights, and NEVER wore deodorant and I suspect only washed round the edges once a week. You could smell him before he even entered the room. He'd worn the coat playing a bushranger on the run, and had literally run around the theatre several times a performance, wearing the suit coat.
The properties manager handed me the coat with a broom handle. "See if you can get it professionally cleaned, but we expect we'll have to throw it out and buy another".
I figured it was now or never to try the vinegar trick.

With a garment this bad (it REALLY stunk!) I soaked the whole thing in vinegar, in a bucket. It took most of 2 litres (over 3 pints). I then soaked it in a concentrated solution of enzyme laundry detergent, with the vinegar still all through the coat. It was a wool coat, so I had to use nothing warmer than lukewarm. I even got a laundry plunger into the bucket and was horrified at the colour the water was turning. At first I thought the dye was coming out, then I realised that the coat was NOT meant to be black, it was actually dark grey. The lining especially changed colour and got paler.
After several days of this, changing the water and using more laundry detergent, I put the coat in the washing machine. The rinse water was STILL looking horrible, so I washed it again. Cold water wash, because of the wool. Also, hot water wash seems to set in sweat smells, I've found. I added a few drops of rosemary oil to the final rinse.

I hung the coat outside to dry and then ironed it. It was a bit crumpled and I had to reshape the lining, but I had saved a coat. It had completely lost ALL smells (except for rosemary oil, which I could happily tolerate).

I now use the same technique for difficult child 1's clothes. I try to not let them get anywhere near as bad as that old man's coat. I do find, especially with difficult child 1's shirts and underwear, that they literally fall apart in the wash if it's been too long since they were last washed.

My favourite author, Terry Pratchett, writes about a barbarian hero (a very old barbarian hero with a haemorrhoid ring on his saddle) who never washes and rarely changes his loincloth, because as he says, "Good leather don't rot for years!"
I remind difficult child 1 of this line when it's been too long between washes. We handle it with humour and a very long broom handle.

Marg