difficult child's puppy is in hospital she's so sad

Jena

so, yet again i try to do something good and boom it explodes in my face. puppy was off all day yesterday, stools were loose.

last night he had me up and down every 15 minutes till 4:30 in morning coughing, sneezing, diarhea with blood in it, crying.

rushed him to vet hospital where we bought him today, winds up they think he's depressed (difficult child dog wtf) and has parvo. vet said i'm hoping that isnt' it, yet my gut tells me it is. if it is he'll have to be in hospital for two weeks and than when you take him home he mite not make it.

what can i say difficult child was beside herself cried all the way home with-her empty blanket in hand we wrapped him up in for trip. me i'm just done been popping xanax for two days now. just way too much lately.

sat in bathroom today hysterical myself for an hr and than popped a xanax. might not seem like a big deal but with everything else that's been hitting as of late and there is even more husband stuff i haven't even shared it's just ridiculous at this piont and fact i got this puppy to help her and it seemed like it was. our dog loved him to pieces took them one day to adjust.

i have to now scrub my entire house with-bleach any clothes sheets blankets puppy came in contact with. so i'm scrubbing away, exhausted and should just be sitting with-difficult child yet i can't because i gotta get it all cloroxed and dry by bedtime.

so freaking sad. i'm hoping doctor is totally wrong here. keeping my fingers crossed he's supposed to call in the a.m. with blood test results. they put Toby on i.v. right way to hydrate him and i.v. antiobitics

H

HaoZi

Ah man... *hugs* I hope he makes it, I know it can be rough. The big dog had his shots yet? The cats can't get that strain at least. A small ray of hope is that there are many types of worms or combinations of worm infections that can have similar symptoms.

Jena

it's ridiculous right? never ending **** in my life lately. i can't seem to keep up. i held that little guy in my arms all nite as he cried, got up every 15 minutes to put him on wee wee pads because dairhea was so bad. than he'd cry some more. him and i finally fell asleep around 4 or 5 than got up at 7. now i'm afraid our dog will get it so im scrubbing everything it's highly contagious. clothes, floors you name it to other dogs. wow if this puppy dies difficult child will really lose it.

so much for trying to do the right thing. i'm done with that approach

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Jena, did you get this dog from a reputable breeder or from a pet store? Reputable breeders make SURE that puppies have their first two sets of shots before they go out. I am so sorry puppy is so sick, but if he doesn't pull through, PLEASE get your next dog from a reputable breeder and make certain his feet don't hit grass outside your yard until you are sure he's had that third shot.

Parvo is lethal and incredibly contagious. You've been given good advice on sanitizing the household.

Jena

North shore animal league. he's 6 weeks old. adorable little guy. hope vets' totally wrong. north i know. i have cloroxed entire house and washing everyone's clothes and bedding. and i'm allergic to bleach so it's been fun :)

Jena

me 2. won't find out till the a.m. when they call. sweet little dog also. yea it's been coming from all ends. i've heard the it's gotta get bad before gets better yet this is absurd now. i'm ready to throw difficult child into truck and head upstate and away from all this b.s.

katya02

Solace
I'm so sorry to hear this. GoingNorth is right, parvo is everything she said, and the shelter should have made sure the puppy was free of it, and vaccinated, before
placing him. What heartbreak. I also suggest finding a *good*, reputable breeder, if looking for a pet another time. For now, disinfecting everything is paramount - parvo can live on surfaces for many
months, even longer than a year. Mature animals can get it but aren't as likely to die from it, as they've usually been vaccinated plus they can tolerate it better.
I hope so much that your puppy pulls through.

BusynMember

This is so sad coming from a dog lover. WTH were they thinking, not having this baby checked at the vet first? Don't they give it it's first shots??? Here is hoping and praying that little doggy pulls through and that it isn't parvo (but I know puppies who have had parvo and do live). When it rains...it pours. Your poor daughter doesn't need this. (((Hugs))) to you, your precious daughter, and the little doggy. Keep us updated, Jena. We all care about you and yours.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
At six weeks he was only old enough to have his first shots if those were even given. (Parvo is given as part of a combination vaccine in dogs). The issue beyond the GI effects is that parvo can attack the heart in very young puppies, which your little guy definitely is. It can do permenent heart damage on top of everything else. It's a nasty, nasty illness.

donna723

I'm hoping and praying that your pup makes it. I don't know how this puppy came to be in a shelter in the first place but six weeks was way too young for him to have been put up for adoption. Eight to ten weeks is more like it and twelve weeks is even better. He should have been at least old enough to have had his second round of shots.

If this does turn out to be parvo, you need to call this shelter and let them know before they adopt out any more pets. If this puppy has it, chances are a lot of others in this shelter have it too. Parvo is such a nasty disease - they can go from appearing perfectly normal and healthy to being deathly ill in a very short time. If this shelter is like some of the ones here, people don't bother to spay or neuter their dogs, then a couple times a year they're dumping off a litter of puppies at the shelter. It sounds like the shelter was trying to get rid of the puppies as quickly as they could and they weren't as careful as they should have been.

Jena

hi

toby was rescued from georgia puppy mill. where we went is def. reputable they are non for profit and a rescue unit. it really isn't their fault. they checked him out and north is correct he had his first round of shots only. he already had an intestinal parasite infection and i was medicating daily.

i'm hoping that isn't it. we'll know more in the a.m. difficult child is def. havinga hard time falling asleep tonight, her mind's clicking.

i went on a website on how to stop puppy mills. http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/tips/what_you_can_do_stop_puppy_mills.html

it's a kids site also. we have doctor's all day tmrw. yet difficult child needs something to keep her mind busy. i'm going to ask her if she wants to write our elected officials here about puppy mills, give her a job a mission sort of so that she feels like she's doing something to stop it. gotta pull some good outta this one somehow.

i truly hope if toby does have it we caught it early enough and with hydration and medications for secondary infections and care at the hospital he'll make it. doctor said you did right thing by bringing him in on first sign. so i told difficult child shes' a good dog owner and very responsible. if this puppy dies we'll feel horrible and she will be beyond distraught.