difficult child's puppy is in hospital she's so sad

Marguerite

If this puppy dies of course it will be sad, but keep reassuring difficult child (and yourself) that IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. As you told her, you did everything right and took the puppy to the vet at the first sign. And another thing to tell yourselves - that puppy experienced love for the first time and knows it is loved. If his life is to be short, then you gave him love right there at the end when he needed it most.

It is not your fault. And even with this tragedy, it is still good for difficult child to have another living thing to learn to care for and love.

Here's hoping Toby will survive. You did your best to give him that extra edge. Another owner might not have recognised the seriousness in time. You are good dog owners.

Marg

B

Bunny

Jena, I would call North Shore and tell then that the puppy your adopted from them has come down with Parvo and see what they say. I'm sure that they didn't know that Toby would come dow with it, but they should know that it happened.

I feel really bad for difficult child. It seems like Toby was really helping her and giving her something to focus on. I hope that he pulls through.

Pam

Farmwife

Geez Louise this hoovers big time.

Did you accidentally "steal" the identity of someone who has bad karmic debt?:sick:

I know it may seem like life can be the bottom of the darkest abyss sometimes and that some of us get more than our fair share of b.s. I'm not going to feed you a line of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" that junk always cheeses me off when I am struggling. What I would like to offer is that there is a natural ebb and flow to life, the universe or whatever...There are times of good and times of bad, dark and then light, life then death. These hard times will come to pass even if it doesn't feel like it.

Unless you can bend the rules of the universe, which I doubt, you certainly are due for things to flow more positive in your direction, eventually. It's like that desk top chrome thingy with the balls that click and clack back and forth. (nobody seems to have those anymore) Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Give it time.

My brealthroughs always seem to come when I am beyond emotionally weary and give up. It's like if I have a fight left in me the fight wages on but as soon as I collapse into a heap and cry "uncle" to G*d, the universe or whatever I very quickly find solutions, not perfect ones but a new way does reveal itself to me.

I hope your way finds you as well, sooner than later and with minimal wreckage in between. I'm sorry I can't lift you up but like many of the good people here I will walk beside you in this difficult time.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It is fairly common for puppies to get parvo; it doesn't necessarily mean he will die. With proper hydration and rest, he should be okay. The vet should also have him on a human-like BRAT diet to help him remain hydrated and not have to pass painful stools. Your other animals cannot get this so don't worry about that. And his depression is likely caused by the illness and nothing more.

I'm sorry for you all - especially difficult child. I'll pray your vet does right by the puppy and he gets well soon so you can bring him home. Hugs~

Jena

Pam - he's at that place, that's where he's hospitalized.

farmwife :) hi and yea i know there was someone who had a doll and some pins years ago, an ex boyfriend possibly? LOL

JO - it's highly contagious so i dont' know where you got that from. my dog could catch it as per the vet and every website i went to. that's why i bleached everything. older dogs do have a higher immune system to it also when they have all their shots yet possibility is still there. as far as the puppy the vet said where he came from was very bad. i found the place in georgia where toby came from. so if it is parvo that's where he got it from. doctor said if it's that its touch and go even if i get to bring him home no guarantee he'd make it.

i just have to be careful because they say it's not good to mix the pup with other dog even once their in recovery mode. parvo can live in your home for up to 6 mos.

didnt' have to do the yard puppy was too young to go out, once he had next round of shots he was allowed out.

called today no word yet on him, place didnt' even know if he was alive to be honest. i asked and she said if that happened you would of gottena call. i said are you sure?? she said blood work didnt' come back yet and they'd call later. so difficult child is on the edge of her seat.we have doctor's all day today so that maybe a good thing keep her mind busy and occupied. me i'm very sick. coughing, fever, head congested. gotta get me some apple cidar vinegar. :)

and another thought, why didnt' they test this puppies poop? it's a simple test that they should be doing to all puppies that are rescued from puppy mills. because if toby does have it he was surrounded by at least 10 other puppies who would def have it. see my point here? so later after i get news i'll be on them for that.

difficult child will be writing letters tmrw she wants to to stop puppy mills. something proactive to do. toby is a tough little guy i think either way he'll pull thru. they just say if they get it super young their higher chance of it being fatal. guess that makes sense younger immune system not so good etc.

i popped a xanax last night and finally fell asleep by 3:30. which was great

Jena

Ok, just got a call it isn't PARVO! yay my house smells like bleach for NO reason lol. ok what we have is a very sick little puppy with some type of lung respitory disease. their running chest xrays, etc. to see the extent of it. so far he's still holding up. they said his lungs have fluid in them, hes coughing, etc. isn't eating. glad its' not parvo but i guess still wait and see she said. next call won't be till late tmrw. to update us.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Glad its not parvo.

I don't know about puppies, but I know in livestock, pneumonia is a common threat to newly weaned animals, partly due to the stress of weaning. I would assume its the same for puppies, but I don't know. Doesn't make it any better, except that it is treatable and not as contagious and deadly as parvo.

M

Mamaof5

Hookworm can cause intestinal bleeding and dehydration. Sometimes pups end up with both roundworm and hookworm as a co-morbid infection (parasitic). I'm hoping your vet is wrong and it's a bad infestation of hookworm - do be careful, both parasites are zoonotic (cross species to humans). Bad intestinal parasite infections can cause resp issues, especially if it's a big infestation. You have to tell the rescue shelter you got the little guy from so that they can re-screen the other dogs too, just in case. Parasite infection is extremely contagious too though older dogs build good immunity to it they can still be infected and so can humans.

I have one phrase for you - FOOD GRADE D.E. It is silica salt, ingestible, used for parasitic infestations of dogs, cats, cattle and horses as well as humans. It gets rid of fleas, parasites, ticks, ants, flies, etc etc. Pests of all kinds (even head lice).

Wolf Creek Lodge in the states sells it by 2 lbs and up with application tools. Good prices and this is what I use with my animals (including birds).

Got my fingers crossed.

H

HaoZi

Ok, just got a call it isn't PARVO! yay my house smells like bleach for NO reason lol. ok what we have is a very sick little puppy with some type of lung respitory disease. their running chest xrays, etc. to see the extent of it. so far he's still holding up. they said his lungs have fluid in them, hes coughing, etc. isn't eating. glad its' not parvo but i guess still wait and see she said. next call won't be till late tmrw. to update us.

Keep us updated, hopefully Toby and your daughter can do their recovery together as a team. :)

Jena

yes and ill be in an early grave :)

it was some fancy name like lung respitory blah blah disease. i'm like ok lifetime medications, death what are we talking?? their like well he's hydrated now and poop is solid yet he's coughing bad and chest is all congested and getting xrays done will know more tomorrow.

great. by the way not one shake today for difficult child. not a one.

smallworld

Jen, I'm sorry about the puppy. What a sad turn of events for you all.

Has difficult child started on Zyprexa? Because of the situation with the puppy, the psychiatrist may have to push the dose faster than he originally planned. M started on 5 mg Zyprexa, just so you know.

Hugs to you.

Jena

small hi. no pharmacy didnt' have it it, they ordered it and they said it "should" be in by tmrw. before they close. figures right? so doctor wouldn't let me start at 5mg. we're starting at half because i have to titrate down the seroquel at the same time.

actually difficult child flew manic off situation with puppy. total opposite. she cried yesterday on way home, hit the house and flew......boy did she fly. drawing writing pressured speech wouldnt' go to bed so so busy gitty laughing at things that weren't funny. same stuff today for most part, sticker's on her face she grabbed out of my planner at doctor's office. bubbly takling so fast from 12 today till 6 when we got in. my heads' spinning

BusynMember

I believe you just got really good news about the puppy, Jena. Parvo is a real risk, but puppies survive respiratory infections. My dogs had them at the same time (yuk) and responded well to antibiotics. I know he's a puppy, so it's worse, but (crossing fingers) I believe that with antibiotics, he will recover and come home to help your daughter heal again.
Keep us posted!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad to hear it's not Parvo. Wonder if he gave you the medication term for kennel cough? And it's good you acted fast, that works in his favor. Will keep my fingers crossed he pulls through.

As per adopting via reputable shelters................eh been there done that and still came home with sick pups. Ours here will sell you a sick pup and not bat an eye, they do it daily and it's supposed to be the Humane Society (except they state they have none here). But some do it purely by accident as it can take days for an infected pup to show symptoms and by then they've found a new home. Normal routine is they offer to pay all vet bills so you might want to ask as really they should. Also just as in people, some pets actually can (depends on type of vaccine) get the infection from the shots. Had a pup get distemper that way.........and he pulled through even though vet wanted to put him to sleep. Lots of chicken broth, water, jello water, and TLC.....longest week of my life. ugh

Thanks to our shelter...............I check any potential adoptee over with a fine tooth comb before I even consider it. I check eyes, nose ears mouth, check for fleas ticks weight ect. Any suspicions and I don't adopt. Ours will not foot the bill of a vet even if they sell you a sick animal. But I now prefer private owners/breeders but I still check them out big time. And still you can wind up with a sick pet........because of the whole it can take days for symptoms to appear thing.

I'm surprised you had to wash everything. If your other dog was vaccinated he can't catch parvo and once your pup had it he'd have a natural immunity to it.

Jena

hey,

guess what my dog is coughing now too. they told me to use bleach because they thought it was parvo. only way to kill it is bleach or burn the stuff. my big guy is vaccinnated yet they were so close puppy would lay on the big dog. their giong to update me tmrw. i forget the name. it's a lung respitory infection thing. i said pnuemonnia, she said no tha'Tourette's Syndrome not it. ill find out tmrw. hes a tough little puppy. hes' soo cute. thank god i hope he pulls thru i told difficult child be positive for once positive thoughts help.