difficult child's trick or treating experience

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband and I took difficult child trick or treating tonight. He was so excited and easy child helped him get in his costume which really made him happy. He was doing great, being appropriate, thanking people.

After a short while he was getting tired so he decided to hit just a few more houses on the way home.

At one of the homes, a guy dressed in a scary costume and was scaring some kids (in fun). We were at the sidewalk so couldn't quite hear what was going on. When difficult child came back he was very quiet and sad.

We asked what happened. Apparently difficult child called the guy in the costume an idiot (which he should totally not have done). I think he did it because he thought the guy was mean for scaring kids-this would be typical of my difficult child. He said the lady at the house then called him an A**h****.

You could just see his heart breaking. I felt bad for him even though he shouldn't have said what he said. An adult should know better. If she was upset she could have spoken to him calmly about it or come and talked to us.

We thought about saying something but since he had started it decided against it. We did tell difficult child that the lady was wrong but that he has to watch what he says.

On a bright note he did turn his night around.

crazymama30

I am glad he turned his night around. That has to be huge for him. I know it would be for my difficult child. Some people are just ignorant.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sharon

It's just my opinion, but the adults should've completely ignored difficult child's comment or let him know it was all in "fun". NOT spoken to him that way, regardless of what he said to them.

He was right. They are idiots.

I'm glad he had fun anyway.

Hugs

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Geez, Sharon - who was the adult in this situation? While it was wrong for difficult child to call names - the adult was just as bad or worse because they knew better. :hammer:

I'm glad that difficult child turned it around & recognized when he was tired. Now - onto the sugarland blues! :ghost: Always a fun time around here. :frankenstein:

LittleDudesMom

I have two things to say about this situation - first I think they were the idiots for saying something so offensive to a child, and second, great that difficult child turned his evening around.

Now I have one for you. I have a really long driveway that goes down the side of my front yard, along side my house and then back to the back of my property where the garage is located. We set up just about even with our house so we could be in the dark and not near the front sidewark where the streetlights are. So, easy child, her friend and I are giving out candy while the boys are out gathering candy. A lady pulls up right in front of and blocking my driveway. I figure she is just dropping off and watching her kids and will drive down the street and follow them (bear in mind that our neighborhood is crazy and you really can't find anywhere to park since there are so many people). So, we see her kids come up to our table, then cross the street. Then easy child sees the woman get out of her car and start walking with her family. Since she knows bonehead needs to get out soon, she tells the woman "maam, you are blocking our driveway, you need to move your car."

She totally ignored easy child so she said it two more times - you are blocking our driveway and need to move your car. So, fast forward bonehead needs to get out......well that's for another story. Anyway, our neighbor two doors down also gets blocked in so they call the police. easy child calls the nonemergency number as well. You know, it's the principle. We don't' mind you bringing yoru family to our neighborhood for halloween. We decorate and buy candy for YOU. Please respect our neighborhood. So the police come and ticket several cars blocking driveways. About 9:10 I get a knock at the front door. It's that woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is holding the ticket. She tells me that she was here earlier this evening. She wants to know if I called the police on her. Well, I'm admitting nothing especially since it wasn't me it was easy child! She wants me to write a statement that is was ok because she wants to fight this $40 ticket. I told her that it has gotten to the point where people are not respecting our neighborhood and the police patrol randomly on Halloween. She said it would have been one thing if there was a cone or a sign. I told her that I guess the police feel people should know not to park in front of a driveway.

So she will be going to court. I wonder if they will tell her someone called. Oh well........ she should have listened to easy child. I didn't want a confrontation so I didn't even bring it up that easy child told her to move.

Idiots.

Sharon

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Gracious sounds like difficult child did well after words. We all slip and make comments but the "adult" response was ridiculous.

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry difficult child was "treated" to Adults Acting Awfully. I do not like the trend for adults to scare kids. It is one thing to have the decorations, but for an adult to purposely scare kids he/she does not know seems unwise to me. You just never know how the kids will react.

Your difficult child spoke unwisely, but with a caring heart. It is wonderful that he cared enough for the littler kids to speak up, so many people don't.

I am glad he turned it around.

Hugs to him,

Susie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks guys-I did think the lady was over the top. Of course, today I thought of a good response but probably better I didn't.

Sharon-Good for easy child for calling the cops. I can't believe that lady had the nerve to come back to your house last night! I'm glad she got the ticket.

Nina

Sounds like the one he needed to call an idiot was that woman. What kind of person curses at a kid. On Halloween night!! If she doesn't want to deal with kids she should keep her door closed.

Good for you and your difficult child for not letting ignorance ruin your night.