Dinner was late

klmno

and I'm sure it wasn't low-fat or healthy, but boy, was it good- if I do say so myself. We cooked (difficult child did help) stuffed cabbage, mashed potatoes, grean beans, and my family's recipe of southern style corn bread. It takes FOREVER to make stuffed cabbage rolls (ok- forever by my terms- I don't spend hours on meals normally), and I don't even know if these are made by anyone other than my family..... are they?

DammitJanet

I love stuffed cabbage but someone on here posted a recipe to make a much simpler and quicker version that tastes just as good just not as much work. If you want me to dig it out I will.

It just doesnt come out as rolls. But good heavens...once you cut a roll, it isnt a roll anymore and when you eat it...it certainly isnt a roll!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
How about if next time you invite us to dinner? :D OMG I haven't had stuffed cabbage rolls in forever.

Janet, I'd love to have that recipe, I don't know how to make them but I LOVE them!

klmno

I'm so gald to hear we are eating normal!!!! I really didn't know that we were normal in any way !! Janet, if you have a recipe that makes cabbage rolls quicker, please do post it. difficult child and I both love them but I don't make them often because it does take so long.

PS- Lisa- you don't need an invitation to dinner- just call and tell me that you will be here!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My in-laws are big on stuffed cabbage. They call it some funky Polish name that I'm sure is butchered and I won't even attempt to spell here without knowing what it's really called :) It does take a long time to make, but it's pretty darn tasty, I have to admit. I've only made it once or twice. father in law showed me how :D

everywoman

I used to make it all the time when my children were small. Then I "invented" a dish that I call unstuffed cabbage. I simply layer the ingredients in a dutch oven, cook slowly, eat with rice---in the South we eat everything with rice. If I cook real stuffed cabbage, the rice is mixed with the hamburger meat inside the rolls.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
SO and I love stuffed cabbage - you should have let us know and we would have stopped by for dinner :)

I am way too lazy to make it the normal way so I take the easy way out and make it in a roasting pan. Take the big leaves and line the pan, put a layer of uncooked rice, a layer of hamburger, a layer of onions, and some brown sugar (SO is not allowed to do the sugar layer - he gets carried away), then a layer of chopped cabbage, then the rice, hamburger, onions and sugar, layer of chopped cabbage till its at the top with the top layer being cabbage. Put a cup of water and a can of tomato juice in, cover, bake at 325 for about an hour and a half or two hours..

Only problem is I only have a very large roasting pan, so we have enough for days on end - the boys do not like cabbage..

Marcie

klmno

Good morning, Ladies! I really like the layering idea- that would save a lot of time. My recipe sounds a lot like EW's- with rice mixed in the meat mixture (along with a little sausage, egg, onion, spices).

Everyone could have stopped by- we cooked enough for everyone here! :) I thought we'd have them as leftovers tomorrow, then I'll try freezing what is left.

DammitJanet

Everywoman ...YOU are the one who posted it! I knew it was someone down here....lol. Dont you use some spice like seasoning salt? I know the recipe is over on the archive forum somewhere.

everywoman

I probably put Lowry's in there. I use Lowry's on just about everything so I'm sure if I posted, it would be in the recipe.

DammitJanet

I just found it!

Posted by Everywoman

Almost stuffed cabbage

Brown beef.
Spinkle with Lowry's seasoning salt.
Add large can of tomatoes.
Add in one chopped onion.
Add one head of chopped cabbage.
Let cook.

Serve on top of rice.

My grandmother made the best stuffed cabbage. This was my shortcut to her recipie.