Disability Question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
SSI just contacted Travis, gathered some info, and explained that he's "presumptively accepted" for disability. They'll cutting him a check for this month & next month. This is supposed to prevent them from paying out large amts in back payments until SSD gives the official acceptance. According to this person, should he not be accepted, for whatever reason......Travis will not be required to pay any of the money back.

WTH?

Am I safe in assuming he's been accepted for disability, it's just not official?

Because I can think of no other reason he wouldn't be required to pay the money back if he's denied for some off the wall reason. He will be getting disability if accepted, he didn't apply for SSI, he only applied for disability.

Can someone explain this to me? I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

T

TeDo

I guess I'm confused too. From my understanding SSI is what adults apply for if they've never worked a job where Social Security was taken out of their pay or they didn't work enough for there to be a certain number of "credits" on their Social Security record. Social Security Disability is for those that have worked and paid "enough" in to Social Security. The amount the SSDI initally pays each month depends on how much they have "contributed" to Social Security during their working years. At least that's my understanding.

If they specifically told him he wouldn't have to pay it back if he is ultimately denied, then that's probably what they mean although it makes no sense to me. I would however, call the local office and check into it. Since Travis is an adult, he'd have to be right there with you and tell them first that it's okay for them to answer your questions and then hand you the phone or you'd both need to be on the line at the same time so you can hear it for yourself.

I hope it's correct and that he will start getting something soon. If I were in your shoes, I would be skeptical too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, I won't let him spend a dime until we know for certain.

And they skipped doing for SSI because he had worked long enough and paid in enough for disability benefits. Just barely, but he had.

They're cutting him a check, then sending him the benefit card drawn on a local bank. So it must be legit. (he doesn't currently have a bank account)

I know that they limited how much back pay Katie could get for Alex, they don't do those enormous pay outs anymore, there is a cap on it now.

It's just this presumptively accepted thing that bugs me. I thought it was you are or your not. Not oh, we're pretty certain you will be. Know what I mean??

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa, what bothers me is that THEY contacted HIM and gathered information.

Something about that doesn't sit right. PLEASE have him verify with the local office. ASAP.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, they just wanted to know if he had a bank acct and if he helped me pay the bills or not. (which he doesn't because he has no income) Then they double checked to see if he had any "assets", typical stuff. Which he doesn't. The rest was explaining to him what they were doing and why.

But I think we'll call and double check in the morning. I'd do it now but I have a house full of noisy boys and a puppy.

witzend

Well, they just wanted to know if he had a bank acct and if he helped me pay the bills or not. (which he doesn't because he has no income) Then they double checked to see if he had any "assets", typical stuff. Which he doesn't. The rest was explaining to him what they were doing and why.

But I think we'll call and double check in the morning. I'd do it now but I have a house full of noisy boys and a puppy.

Sounds like a good plan. Maybe whoever you talk to tomorrow can explain it better, as well.

InsaneCdn

"presumptively accepted" - around our parts (ok, this is Canada, but...) THAT would mean... you're getting "something" we just don't have the details fine-tuned... or that the paperwork has to catch up with the decision (or both)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OK. Made Travis clarify what they told him.

He has been accepted for SSI as blind, hence he will get payments from them. But as per SSDI (disability) that approval hasn't gone through yet (paperwork) and so that is why SSI will be paying him until that happens which explains why he doesn't have to pay them back.

Well, now. THAT makes MUCH more sense. Well, sort of anyway. Geez

InsaneCdn

There are only a handful of disabilities that tend to be "hands down" for disability payments... and one of those is "legally blind". (Quadrapelegic counts as well, not sure which others are on "that list").

T

TeDo

Glad you got that all figured out. I am waiting for them to make a determination for difficult child 1 to get SSI. He gets a little money off my SSDI as a dependent. IF he's approved for SSI, the amount he gets from my SSDI will be deducted from the SSI amount because they come out of different "pockets". He will essentially get BOTH and they will add up to the SSI amount he'd be due.

Good thing Travis was listening carefully and was able to repeat it ALL back to you, apparently accurately. Good for him and what a relief for you.

DDD

Whew. I am just getting ready to post on a similar topic. Fingers crossed yours is a slam dunk. Hugs DDD