Discrimination of the Handicapped

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Marg

That's horrible. I confess I don't know anything about how your government works, but how on earth did they get those laws passed??

I'm glad it worked out for her in the end.

Marg's Man

Those laws were passed by our former extremely right wing federal government under a system laughingly called "Work Choices". They were able to get it through because they completely dominated the legislature. This doesn't normally happen.

Work Choices was a major reason for their electoral loss late last year. We got it right this time and the new mob don't have the same complete control.

One of the first acts (after a formal apology to our idigenous people which the same mob refused to give) of the new government was to begine to unravel the Work Choices laws. They are very complex and will take a couple of years to repeal.

Marg's Man

Lisa,
He absolutely can collect unemployment now, because they didn't give him any hours. Even if his hours were so minimal- he can still collect partial. NOW- GO TO A LAWYER! This same thing happened to me, I got 25,000 dollars for pain and suffering!!!!! I got another job the next day!!! But Travis will get all his back pay, plus pain and suffering. Don't talk to this manager anymore. Once the lawyer gets involved and the higher ups at Krogers get wind of this, they WILL give him all his back pay- plus! Trust me!!!!!!-Alyssa

donna723

I would absolutely contact both the union and an attorney. If they've done it to him, they've probably done it to other people too.

Have you considered contacting your local news media? Your hometown newspaper and TV stations? Usually they are very quick to jump all over something like this! They LOVE this kind of story! No company, especially one as big as Krogers, wants to look bad on TV! When the media gets involved, the store will get so much adverse publicity, they will look soooo bad! They will probably right the situation immediately, make some big "sincere" statement about how this is NOT store policy, that it was an isolated incident(?) ... then they'll probably do away with Evil Store Manager! And Travis will be able to work all the hours he wants, which is what should have happened in the first place! It's certainly worth a try. This is soooo wrong.

skeeter

Lisa - while husband doesn't know attorneys from Highland Cty, he DOES know quite a lot of them from Hamilton Cty. I'll have him ask around on Monday for you.

by the way - I HATE Krogers. I refuse to shop in them unless it's absolutely necessary. They used to have a small store here in our neighborhood, and all the prices were higher because of the "captive" food stamp purchasers. They closed it and built a "super" store in the next community up, but they will NOT let anyone use the dang property or store left here! It's been empty for over 9 years now.

You may also want to contact Paul Daugherty at the Cincinnati Enquirer / WLW. While he's a sports writer,he has a special needs child and often writes about the issues he's faced over the years.

slsh

member since 1999
Lisa, the P&A folks (link above) should be willing to look into this from a legal/discrimination standpoint and I believe they're free of charge.

TerryJ2

Why did they hire him to begin with? Certainly they knew his limitations. What happened in the meantime?
So sorry.

dreamer

Forgive me, I apologize in advance, I did not read replies.
easy child is also employed by this chain grocery here. (THey have a different store name here)
easy child began as a bagger, and was promoted to cashier. SHe has been there nearly 3 years. Yes, her hours can get pretty low sometimes....well below the number she is supposed to get.
Becuz of the court case she is a victim in, she also cannot go out and gather carts, and it has caused some weird moments. (But her offender has been caught inside her store and has had several arrests added on for witness and victim harrassment)

Yes, easy child is also in the union. A newsletter comes often. I think there is contact info in the union newsletter? For ?? a union steward? I am also wondering if you could talk to labor board or employment services (thru the state)? Maybe they might know what you can do.

When difficult child got fired at subway a couple months ago, the reason was "not learning enough fast enough" altho they had not corrected her, complained about her or to her, she had donenothing wrong, and in fact the manager working WITH her had been complimenting her the day before about how well she ws doing? difficult child gets ssi for her bipolar and anxiety, and SUbway KNEW that when they hired her. They also knew she had not had academic education thru her Special Education here since middle school. SHe was 10 mins early for every shift, her uniform clean AND ironed (how many kids iron their uniform these days? I am notsure but......) her hair was kept back in a french braid.....and they called her in extra off schedule - I do not remember for sure, but I think as many as 3 times? in 3 weeks, at last minute when coworkers called in.

The only reason I did not follow up with anything was difficult child begged me not to.

This is just so wrong.
Good luck!

I heartily agree with Witzend.

Contact the union asap .

Kroger either needs to place him in a job that he can perform or let him go. He can then get unemployment and disability and work on a better job fit (Vocational Rehab can work with him, he's certainly eligible). I find the Kroger group treats my clients in a similiar fashion when they have a work injury, and they always force litigation. Life is just too short for this kind of mistreatment!

Also, for those with inquiring minds..... Look into the real ownership of Kroger... I can tell you that the group behind this organization is not located in the U.S.!

Food for thought.....

Hi Lisa,
I want to add one more thing, the pain and suffering $ I recieved, was for the illegal things they said to me. Document the conversations, before you forget them, it may take awhile.The union did nothing for me in my case!!! If there is a union invoved, they may back up the store, don't let them bully you. Travis can get unemployment right this second. They will be so sorry, there are laws protecting Travis, this is total descrimination- by their own words. My story is, I had breast cancer, they didn't want to pay benefits for me, so 3 days after my benefits kicked in, I was told (screamed at until I cried)- that I was fired for not telling them of any past medical conditions I had, plus now they were changing my job description, and THEY said, I couldn't do it. The union backed up the store. Then I got a lawyer got involved-I found one out of the phone book-look under employment law-and by the way they all lied during the depositions, so what- I did have breast cancer- I was never written up, late, and could do every job in the dept.-that was my proof. Had I not gotten a job right away, I would have also gotten back pay.-Alyssa