distorted thinking and another Dr bites the dust

Andy

You just can't buy a break lately can you? :2dissapointed:

I hope the SW doesn't make you send difficult child II to that camp if you don't feel comfortable. I was uncomfortable with my difficult child going overnight just across town for a cub scout outting I don't think I could handle him being out of town, let alone out of state. (probably part of the reason for his anxiety - his mom is too protective? - though I promise he does not get smothered with over protectiveness)

I hope the next psychiatric is perfect. Can you ask for difficult child II's record so that you can read through it? Then just tell the new person to read the chart - everything is in it.

Andy

P.S. Ask the new doctor to read the chart and then tell you what he/she knows about difficult child. Then you will know if he/she understands what is in the chart.

witzend

I loved summer camp, and I was definitely a difficult child who never fit in. I think it would depend upon whether difficult child wanted to go. It would be nice for everyone to get a break from each other. Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Sara PA

So if he doesn't want to go to sleep over camp in another state, why does the SW think you should send him? What's her rationale?

BusynMember

Hi. Frustrating, huh? I'm not a big believer in SW's, therapists, even psychiatrists knowing what is right for my own kid. Do you think your child will like camp once he's there? Make good choices? Do you know any of the counselors? My friend's son went away to a "Behavioral Therapy Camp" and a counselor sexually abused him (it was a young adult man). He came back worse than ever.
I'd say use your Mom Gut, and if this SW makes you uncomfortable, find someone else. I was thinking of sending my son to Easter Seals Camp for kids on the autism spectrum. He wouldn't like the idea of leaving, but he'd have fun once he's there. But the idea that I didn't know the counselors held me back. Maybe I'm overprotective, but he doesn't have the life/social skills to defend himself if a counselor or another kid is inappropriate. Not yet anyway.
Good luck with your decision.

susiestar

Roll With It
Do you have a Parent Input report?? Can you drop off a copy of it for the new doctor, with a note asking the doctor to read it before you meet, so that difficult child will not have lost more time with their personnel changes?

Just a thought.

TerryJ2

I am so sorry. People here have asked some great questions to help clarify things.
I have no idea how you will fit in anything else ... unless it's 6 a.m. and they come to your doorstep.

klmno

((HUGS)) I second MM- use your Mommy instinct on this- no one knows your difficult child better than you.

Christy

Not that I was thrilled with her, but I am so tired of going over difficult child II's stroy over and over again for new BA's, new Dr's, new SW's etc etc etc

I can so realte to this! difficult child's counselor is leaving and this will be another person to tell his life's story to. Even if you write it out or it is in the file, they never take time to read it! husband and I used to joke when difficult child was in psychiatric hospital that they had so many people ask us the same things over and over to see if we kept our story straight.