distraught pup

Steely

Some of you have read my post about difficult child leaving for residential, if not it is on the general forum if you want to read it.

Anyway, here is my other dilemma...................
One of our dogs, whom we have had the longest, Chester, is beyond distraught that difficult child is not here. Chester is a cocker spaniel, with a great herding instinct, and has been our pup for 10 years. He adores difficult child. difficult child could be throwing the biggest tantrum ever, and Chester just looks at him like, "whatever".

So, since difficult child left, he sits at the door and barks for him. It is like he is calling him home. It is so freaking sad!!!!:sad-very:

What do I do to calm him? I hug him, I pick him up..............but still..............even at 4 AM he resumes his post at the front door barking for difficult child.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. Something with difficult child's scent. Otherwise, you might have to call the vet and see if they can suggest something. Poor thing. :(

((hugs))

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Can YOU wear one of difficult child's sweatshirt/jacket and transfer his scent to you? (If it was my difficult child I know I might just be tempted to listen to the whine before I would don an article of difficult child's clothing......) Just a thought?......

Lothlorien

Awww, that is so sad. If the scented clothing or blanket isn't enough, you may want to ask the vet for a tranquilizer for him at night so you can sleep.

TerryJ2

I agree with-what everyone else has said, but in addition, I would suggest you re-do the dog's basic obedience training, even at 4 a.m.

"NO BARK!"
"Sit!"
"Stay."

Keep small treats in your pocket or bedside drawer.

Practice down-stays in the daytime, when you are on the computer, or watching TV. Start with 5 min., then 10, then work your way up to an hr. Then in the middle of the night, you can say, "Down!" and you'll get some peace.