? Do all Teachers "have to" follow IEP who work with your child?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K has classes during week, that are about 20 minutes in length. They are pretty cool and have continued because of a bond that was passed.
All of the Teachers have been wonderful with her so far.

I have learned that her 2nd Grade Teacher has gone around and discussed the basics of K and how to manage her, which has worked so far. She gave them a copy of the Teacher and Education pamphlet from CABF that I gave her.
Which I have no problem with.
None of them have read her IEP.
I was under the impression that anyone working with K has to follow the IEP and should read it and be aware of it and what it says?
She has I believe a Spanish/Computer (same teacher), music and Art teacher.

The only reason I am concerned about this is number one if they are supposed to, and her Spanish/computer Teacher last Monday did something that still has me a bit concerned and I am going to write her main teacher and make sure the Teacher understands the situations.

The Teacher singled out K, even though it was her and another boy, said after K was starting to elevate and get scared. "2nd graders don't pout"
She said this in a very stern voice, which is in K's IEP that this is one thing that will trigger K and send her over the edge. K can not read facial cues or understand vocal tones without freaking, they are all yelling. Sometimes it is the same with grabbing her once she is elevated, much like an Autistic child.
K then started sobbing and crawled under the computer table, very dangerous, the teacher then raised her voice and said, "If you do not come out you will have to stay after school!" (which would never happen especially to K)
K started to scream...
The aide ran to get Ms. J, K's teacher. Luckily the bell rang and K ran out of the class and started running out of the school sobbing and yelling, I saw her and caught her.
Her teacher was waiting for husband, came and got K out of our car and walked with her for about 20 minutes.

She told me that the Teacher was out of line and wrong.
She called me later that night and said she would talk to the teacher, but because it was a Holiday week it has been hectic.

She told me many Teacher's feel it is the main teachers job to read the IEP and not theirs.
So that is my question???

I am concerned about K going to this class tomorrow.

Luckily she leaves early for TROT, but this may not always be the day she goes to TROT.
TIA.

I also feel K may need and apology? She has to give apologies when she does things like this...

Last edited:
YES, they are all obligated to follow the IEP. They all are supposed to read it. As a teacher, I cringe for the teacher who has put herself in this position. If she can get out of this with an apology, she has a huge addition for her "I am thankful" list.

KTMom91

Logically, if someone is working with your child, they should be aware of the IEP and any modifications it addresses. However, I've found that in may cases, the information doesn't get where it's supposed to be, due to "privacy issues." Most of the time, I have no idea if a child has an IEP, a 504, or what, if any, modifications have been agreed on, which makes it harder for me to be an effective substitute teacher.

I would check with K's teacher and see who she was able to talk with, and who still needs to be aware of the IEP. Is K worried about class tomorrow? Many hugs to her.

JJJ

Yes, that teacher is legally responsible for following the IEP. From a practical point of view, the lead teacher summarizes what each 'extra' teacher needs to know and gives them the Reader's Digest version.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thanks you guys. I understand if it a sub. I also understand that many do not follow the IEP, but I would at least like them to be aware or take a look at it.

I think we need to have a meeting with her Spec. Ed. Director who is in charge of it all.

I think she will be concerned once it get closer to class time.

JJJ you snuck in on me. That makes sense... I will talk to her teacher.

susiestar

Roll With It
If the teacher who yelled at K can get out of this with an apology, in a school and SD that is so proactive, she truly WILL be lucky. In districts where parents have to fight to get IEP's and to get people to follow them, this would not be considered a big deal by the school, or school board.

In your SD? I would be surprised if something isn't put into the teacher's file, esp if K clearly has problems with this teacher after this. I can't imagine that K could handle that teacher well for quite a while after this.

I think an apology from the teacher is definitely in order, and it needs to be directed to K, NOT just to you and husband.

As for these teachers not having to follow the IEP? Hogwash. It is their job. Period. Their legal responsibility. If they don't want to follow an IEP they should either move to a private school or to a profession or position where they don't have contact with students or parents in any way.

I hope K can recover fairly soon. This must be so traumatic and scary for her. Give her hugs for me.

smallworld

Toto, as others have posted, it is the responsbility of every teacher K has to follow her IEP. However, in my years of having children with 504s and IEPs, the practical implications are that not all teachers are aware that my kids are entitled to these services and accommodations. So I've had to do a little legwork at the beginning of each school year to make every teacher aware of my children's needs. I know it's a pain, but it's been necessary in my children's cases, particularly when more than a couple of teachers are involved in their school day.

I do think calling a meeting with the sped director and all of K's teachers to clarify the terms of her IEP will definitely help.

Last edited:

tiredmommy

Totoro, It's my understanding that all teachers who supervise the student have a copy of the student's IEP; at least that's how it's done at Duckie's school. It also applies to 504's and health plans.

Marguerite

The gap between what out to be and what IS, is just too wide sometimes.

It was the likelhood of problems like this continuing even when we had moved difficult child 3 to a school which was very active in doing the right thing and helping kids like this, that had us pulling him out and home-schooling.

In difficult child 3's case the class teacher and the school principal were absolutely brtilliant, fully awre of his needs and helped with a lot of problems before they got out of control. But there were inevitably times when another teacher might have jurisdiction, however briefly, that caused the trouble. Short of having every teacher in the school read (and memorise) the IEP, we had to accept that there were going to be problems. And even a later apology from that teacher (which I dont think happened in our case, we were too fast at pulling him out of there) wouldn't have helped. Too much damage had been done, difficult child 3 had had a major meltdown in front of the whole school which resulted in having to evacuate the school hall until they could calm him down. It's very hard to come back from this without feeling too scarred by it.

In difficult child 3's case to the school's credit, the principal and class teacher were immediately called and they made it clear that difficult child 3 was not to be punished, since the problem had been caused by conflicting instructions from a teacher who was unfamiliar with the IEP and who was being totally inflexible. They helped talk him down and out of the hall so the school could go back in and continue the planned activity (without difficult child 3, unfortunately - he was by this stage too upset).

The aim is to prevent meltdowns, not to have someone apologise afterwards and think that it's just as good. Because it isn't, harsh words can't be unsaid, fears can't be so easily erased.

In my situation when I've had problems like this, I've requested a meeting as a matter of urgency and have even taken my knitting to the school and sat there waiting for my appointment. I figure I can sit there until the person I need to see knocks off for the day; they have to see me then. It makes it clear just how seriously I take the situation and how urgently I require it to be attended to.

If the weather is getting cold, a thermos is a nice touch. And a nanna blanket. Make it clear you are set up for a relaxed, long wait, and continue to be polite and patient. Your very presence in the waiting room (looking like a tidy bag lady) usually stings them into prompt action.

Marg

pepperidge

Toto,

something I do at the beginning of each school year is write up about a one page description of my child and issues likely to present in the classroom--send it to all their teachers. You can end by saying that you are sure that Mrs. Special Education teacher will be a great resource if the teacher has any further questions and that you would be delighted to brief them in more detail. At least then the teachers are clued into the picture.

If the teachers are then totally out of line (like what you are describing), then I would send an email to Mrs Special Education teacher saying that you are concerened that MRs. Teacher is not following the IEP and offer to come and brief Mrs. teacher in a IEP meeting if need be. If you have a good relationship with your Special Education teacher (or regular teacher) and it sounds like you do, this should be enough for the Special Education teacher to have a discussion with Mrs. Teacher. If it happens again, then I would go to the principal and make it very clear that the teacher is out of line, that you have tried to resolve the issue with the spec. ed director, and you want the principal to step in now.

If your daughter freaks out about going to the class, I would make sure that the school sends someone with her that she trusts to the class. That should make the point.

Good luck. How's house hunting going? Hugs to you. I am sorry.

P.