Do any of you cover your furniture to avoid dog "presence"?

DDD

My dear husband (yes, he is a dear) has gotten increasingly attached to our boxer, Ace.
Ace is a needy affectionate 100 lb. plus lap dog for husband and now :embarrassed:sofa and chair napper when I'm not around. I can't prevent it so I'm trying to go with the flow and stop complaining.

So out of State sister in law is coming to visit and I'm calling the cleaners for the upholstery. Once it's cleaned what to heck can I put on the furniture to keep it company fresh. Seems like sheets might help a bit (we don't have regular company outside of family) but is there a better choice. I know I can use the Febreeze for odors but Ace is also a drooler. Any suggestions? DDD

DammitJanet

They make some snap on sofa covers. Remember the old slip covers, well these snap on easier and tuck in so they look much more natural. I think you can order them on overstock.com or maybe even get them at walmart or kmart. Not sure. Of course, there is plastic but not sure where you get that anymore.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Slip covers. But I've found that old sheets work best as I can toss them into the washer frequently and easily. And in my opinion they're somewhat more attractive then the slip covers I've found so far.

If your furbaby is going to be sleeping up on the furniture............. a good investment might be a carpet shampooer as they usually have a furniture attachment as well. I've had a shampooer in my house for almost 30 yrs. I wouldn't go without one, not with pets in the house. Has saved me a small fortune, well maybe a large fortune........ lol I can shampoo carpet or furniture whenever I feel it needs it and I don't have to pay someone to come out and do it for me.

DDD

Sheets it is. If it works for you guys it should work for Ace. I bet husband sits on the sheets with his bosom buddy.

Since I got rid of the carpet in the house I haven't had anything cleaned this year. The family room only has leather furniture because easy child/difficult child couldn't pay attention to eating habits etc. after the brain surgery. (How lucky we are that he is alive and well and functions normally in so many ways!) That original upholstery furniture got the heave ho. So all I have
to worry about is a few chairs and a sofa in the mostly unused living room. I should be fine with twice a year visits from the professionals unless husband decides that his precious "puppy" ?? isn't comfortable on sheets. Lol. DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
If you go to some pet supply websites, they have specific covers for furniture. I have one for the car that fits pretty over the head rests. I have seen them for couches and upholstered chairs.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I saw one in a flyer for Kohl's also. It's washable and specifically made for keeping pet "stuff" off of furniture. Of course, sheets, blankets, etc. work also if you don't want to buy a full slipcover.

donna723

I bought new living room furniture about a year ago and bought sheets in the same color to throw over them. I also keep some soft blankets on the sofa for the dogs to wallow in. Of course, they like to burrow under the blankets and sleep and just the sheets don't protect the upholstery if the dogs get drooly. Since there's four of them and only one of me, I've kind of given up on it for the most part and just clean the upholstry every few weeks. I'm sure it probably smells "doggie" to someone just coming in but I've become immune to it.

H

HaoZi

Sheets, though the drooling might be an issue. I've known people with pets that used clear plastic slipcovers. No fur, order, drool, or anything else got through those unless they got ripped.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Sheets, blankets are an exercise in futility at my house unfortunately - all three dogs dig and scrape them around to make a cozy bed for themselves. I have two sofa's in my office/living room that they "own". Thankfully SO helps his friend with the storage so when the sofa's start looking like the dogs sleep on them, I tell SO to be on the lookout for new ones so I can toss the current ones in the dump. LOL

Some day we will be dogless and I will get sofa's of my own. I remember when the boys were little I had the same "disposable" sofa thing going on

Marcie