Do/did you or any of your kids, family or friends have a catchy nickname?

AppleCori

I have heard lots of prison stories, too.

My mom worked in the prison admin. office and she brought a guy home, the day he got his parole, and married him.

That's why I have five Difficult Child step-siblings.

Lil

My mom worked in the prison admin. office and she brought a guy home, the day he got his parole, and married him.

I once represented a man whose family we also represented. After his court date, he wanted to "thank me" by taking me to dinner. (It was just a old DWI Probation Violation and a mistake at that, all he had to do was show up and they let him go.) Afterwards, we did start dating.

When my dad asked where I'd met my new fella, I responded, "I got him out of jail."

Without batting an eye, he responded, "Well, there are lots of men there."
:D

My boyfriend's father was known as Junior. In his 60's he changed his legal name to Bill. His real name was Oscar. His last name? Meyer. Poor man. lol

AppleCori

My hubby had a few run-ins with the law, in his younger days.

My step-dad, though, that is a whole different thing.

donna723

Female employees getting involved with inmates? Not very darned often! I saw it happen three times in 24 years. That's the very quickest way to lose your job! That's the very first thing they drum in to the new hires, male or female! You do NOT have any kind of personal relationship with an inmate, whether it be friendship, romantic or business. That is a line you simply DO NOT cross and if you can't abide by that, you have no business working in a prison! There is "us" and "them" and they never ever mix. We were also forbidden to have any kind of personal relationship with inmate's families or even former inmates. To do so is a huge security risk. And inmates will test employees to see who can be manipulated and might be vulnerable. Male employees can be drawn in to it too and can end up being blackmailed by inmates in to breaking all kinds of rules. This is what happened in the instance of the recent escape and massive manhunt in New York.

Last edited:

Lil

Yeah...I have to say that always baffled me. Not only people who work there either. There are always inmates who end up married behind bars - Heck, Charles Manson was trying to get married a while back. There are some odd folks in the world.

Lil

Sorry SWOT, didn't mean to hijack your cute nickname thread into one about prison love affairs. :p

BusynMember

Caboose!!!!! OH YES. I forgot about her (mine was a her). I didn't think there'd be two of them in this world.

After my divorce I dated a man who had married a woman named Caboose. When he had to talk to her because they had a child together, it was so weird to hear him saying,, "Caboose, well..." "Caboose, yes, but..." just like he was saying "Mary."
I have no info on why she had that name.

BusynMember

There are some odd folks in the world.
Jeff MacDonald, who slaughtered his wife and three kids, but of course he is innocent *wink* DID get married. And his wife is educated and truly believes him, although MacDonald has "evidence" written on his face.

I'm always puzzled by inmate groupies. I mean, if you want to have a crush on somebody, aim higher than that, ya know? Charles Manson? Jeffrey Dahmer? Ted Bundy?

"Guess who's coming to dinner."

donna723

Ted Bundy did get sort of married during his second murder trial, the one in Orlando for the little Lake City girl that he murdered. I'm not sure if the "marriage" was legal but supposedly it was. My former boss at the newspaper was the foreman of the jury at that trial.

AppleCori

Maybe it was different where my mom worked--or maybe it was different 'back then'.

She advocated with the parole board, brought him home, and married him. While continuing to keep her job.

Jabberwockey

Maybe it was different where my mom worked--or maybe it was different 'back then'.

One or the other because we lose people all the time to "inappropriate relationships" with offenders. You will lose your job quick, fast, and in a hurry but it does still happen.

pasajes4

My son's juvenile detention caseworker started an affair with one of the probation workers. The got caught doing the horizontal polka on her desk.

donna723

There is no accounting for what people might do. They said there were whole fan clubs of young girls who considered themselves to be madly in love with the surviving brother who was responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings! I assume those were all silly little teenagers, but you would expect growm, mature women to have more sense than that! Marry Ted Bundy? Sure! Why not! We've seen women who became penpals with prison inmates with life sentences, then end up marrying them in the prison even though they will never, ever get out! People do some really weird things and they don't always make sense to the rest of us.

pasajes4

I had a friend who married an inmate who was serving time for murder. She was a very carrying individual and he hooked into her need to help people. It served a purpose in her life as well. She had a man who could not physically abuse her and told her all the things she had never been told before in her entire life.

donna723

I just thought of another one with a funny nickname. I used to carpool to work with a guy who lived in the next little town down the road from ours. He was talking one day about some of the town "characters" and mentioned an old guy that everybody called "corpse"! I thought it was awful ... until I saw him for myself one day. OMG! He looked just like someone had just dug him up and brushed the dirt off of him! He was at least 6'6" and so skinny it was hard to believe he was actually able to walk! His skin was pale GRAY, his hair was very thin, his eyes were sunken and dark and his cheeks were hollow looking. He looked like he was right at deaths door (or beyond!). He just walked around town, not really talking to anybody. He'd give you quite a start! I thought he must be either very, very old or deathly ill. But they said he had looked like that even when he was young!