Do I kick out my 18 year old son if disobeys my rules and/or the law??

tgee76

I wonder.. my son has a history with getting arrested failing classes and disobeying rules..he lived with his father this last year..then returned to me since his father kicked him out.. my son did goto summer school and received 80's in two classes, he also passed the science regents..with only 7 classes and 1 more regent to take to graduate.. i am afraid he will go back to his old ways.. i am trying not to be negative.. but he is scaring me (i still feel he hasn't grown up yet)..what should i do??

T

TeDo

Welcome to our little corner of the world. You have come to the right place. These parents have seen and dealt with most every situation you can imagine.

I just want to start by asking if you would describe the actual behaviors, not generic he won't listen type stuff, you are seeing. It would help guide any input you may get. Has he ever seen a mental health professional and does he have any diagnosis? Does he take any medications? Why did his dad kick him out? Does he exhibit any behaviors at school or is it just at home? What kinds of things has he been arrested for? How old is your son?

Like I said, you'll get great advice and support here. Others will be along to probably ask more questions at first but the suggestions you get will be from parents who have lived through whatever it is you're dealing with. Again, welcome.

L

Liahona

I think the parent emeritus forum has more people on it who have dealt with kicking out kids. Welcome to the board.

T

toughlovin

Yes come to the PE board... several of us there have adult kids where we have been in a similar situation. It would be helpful to have a little more detail.