Do I let it go?

JenD

I feel that my difficult child's teacher has been less than helpful during these past few months. Today was really bad...She came home from school crying that the teacher doesn't listen and that she doesn't believe her. My mom was able to calm her down after about 25 min (I was at work) and finally got out of her why she was so hysterical.

A few weeks ago they had planted some flowers and radishes in cups and watched them grow. Well today they were going to take them home and as she went to get hers a little boy's flower was caught between the trays. She said she didn't want it to break and tried to move the but the flower broke off. She took it up to the teacher and the teacher got mad. She says she tried to tell the teacher it was an accident but the teacher made her give her radishes to the little boy. My difficult child feels that the teacher doesn't believe her. I feel the same way. I know she is difficult at times and it can be frustrating but she was so upset I believe she didn't do it on purpose. There have also been things said to me from the teacher and my difficult child that I feel a teacher should not say.

I have just recently had to take her off of her medications due to adverse side effects. I feel that the school has not offered any help with her behavior. So I guess what I am asking is do I let it go and wait till next year(she has 4 days left)? And I need help with what to do or ask for. I am new to this. I do have an appointment for some test but not until Aug. just to make sure that we have the right diagnosis.

Any suggestions for school?

Wow-didn't realize I went on that long. Thanks!!

JenD

No. I just found out about IEP's and Section 504 on Sunday. Do I just ask the school for one and they will then do it?

Sheila

No - "no talking." lol

It's always best to do this via a letter sent Certified Mail. The Certified Mail kicks in timelines within which the sd must perform and is your proof that you requested the evaluation.

If you're not in the habit of documenting occurrences, you need to do so.

You might want to consider documenting this incident in a nice was by sending an email to the teacher or principal.

It's the end of the year and everyone is frazzled -- teachers, parents and students alike. But what I've found with-my son in cases like this is that when he starts acting out at school, it's automatically assumed that innocent events like this are willfulness. It's a natural assumption, but it doesn't build good trust in authority figures. An IEP can help educator's remember to maybe take a second look at "the incident."

There's a getting started thread in the Sp Ed Archives that will be beneficial for you. Lots of other good info regarding school also.

Welcome to the forum.