Do they cancel surgery due to a cold?

SRL

I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on Tuesday and I came down with a cold last weekend. As of today I still have congestion and glands are a little swollen--no fever, no asthma symptoms. Is it typical to cancel surgery for a cold?

I think I'll just die if this gets postponed.:faint:

aninom

Well, yes, even for dental work - any kind of invasive surgery, really - they're afraid the presence of bacteria or virus can complicate the procedure and cause or worsen any inflammation or infection. I think that if this phase of your cold has already passed, though, meaning you no longer have an inflammation/infection and the swollen glands and congestion are just stragglers from the cold you should be fine. But I'd just call and check. Hope all goes well, whenever it goes!

M

ML

My prayers are with you SRL. That your cold is better and surgery goes off without a hitch and you recover in record time. Hugs

SRL

Thanks everyone. I talked with a friend this morning who had the same surgery and who I learned also had a cold the week leading up to it. She suggested calling my doctor because hers prescribed antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine ahead of time. Mine said to push fluids, take Tylenol, and thought it wouldn't hurt to nebulize preventatively. We're already planning spinal anesthesia and that in this situation would be better than general. As long as there's no fever and the lungs are clear he sounded okay with it.

We've reached our out of pocket deductable this year so if this gets pushed back it's going to cost us a bundle.

busywend

I was going to suggest the pre-op antibiotics. The worst would be if you had a cough - it is not fun coughing after that surgery, believe me. I had sneak attach sneeze 3 days after surgery and I thought I was going to die. It hurt so bad. I was not prepared with the cough pillow - oh year be sure you have a cough pillow or rolled up blanket handy at all times. If you press it into your belly as you cough you barely feel it.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope your surgery goes very well. You should have a pre-op physical that will clear this up. Usually it has to be with-in 72 hrs of surgery, here. If you have no fever they will likely say it is fine. Just make sure you rest and drink lots of fluids and push the vitamin C. Antibiotics may not be a bad idea.

I really hope your hysterectomy goes smoothly and improves your life a LOT. Mine was the BEST thing I have done for myself and my family. I had no idea how much PMS moodiness and crankies had taken over my life. I was ALWAYS PMSing.

So I hope this helps you and makes you feel wonderful after you heal!!

SRL

I went for pre-surgery testing this morning but only talked with the nurse. Her only concern was that I'd been in communication with my doctor and his big concern was that I call him if I had a fever of 101 or more.

As of now, I'm on. I feel like I turned the corner on the cold yesterday as I feel loads better. Still some sore throat and swollen glands but my lungs are clear and I don't have a fever.

Thanks everyone for the input and for checking up on me. :) My only regret with the cold is that I never got to have the farewell to my uterus party here with my girlfriends. These big events don't come around too often, you know. ;)

Lothlorien

I was just checking in to see if you had responded to this thread. Glad to know that everything is as scheduled. I hope you feel better today!