Do you always listen to your intuition?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Jody, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jody

Jody Active Member

Okay, I am worried that I have some sort of circulation probably and I am afraid it might be leading to a stroke. My fingers have been red on my right hand and itchy, you can tell the difference from one hand to another, today I woke up with a rash on my forearm to my fingers. Sometimes, when I get up, I have to steady myself and take deep breaths, or I feel like I might sway.
    I have had tests previously that show blood flowing thru perfectly. I think I am having a circulation problem. Could be my weight, a blockage of some kind. I made an appointment and I am going to the dr at 11:15 Cenral Time. Something is telling me that I need to really push my Dr into checking, he's pretty thorough anyway, but maybe I am just worried and it's causing me more stress. I took an aspirin just in case. Ugh. I need to lose this weight. I can't tell if it's circulation problems from weight, or what.

2. busywend

busywend Well-Known Member Staff Member

I had the same thing for a few years. Everything was so hard to accomplish because I was so tired when done, almost low on oxygen feeling. I swear it is hormones. I had every test known to man and nothing was wrong. I still have this some times, but to the same level. Hormones......mess you up!

3. rejectedmom

rejectedmom New Member

I hope it is nothing serious will be looking for your update post. -RM

4. StressedM0mma

StressedM0mma Active Member

I hope things go well at the Dr. appointment. and that he listens to your concerns.

5. recoveringenabler

recoveringenabler Well-Known Member Staff Member

Good to trust your instincts and get checked out, you are the one who knows your body the best. Insist on whatever you think you need to have tested. Good luck, let us know how it turns out and how you are feeling. (((HUGS))))

6. buddy

buddy New Member

I'm terrible about trusting my instincts for me. The queen of denial. Im glad you went in!

Hope they have reassuring news.

7. Jody

Jody Active Member

He said he thinks it's my carpal tunnel acting up. Could be but my fingers never turned colors. He said they do a lot in carpal tunnel. I've been on my computer a lot more lately. He told me to get some cream for my arm, and my oxygen was good and blood pressure was a little high, but i was nervous. Who knows, but if it gets worse i am going back in. I worry a lot, but not catching breath and fingers turning red scared me.

8. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Last time I checked having issues catching your breath has nothing to do with carpal tunnel, nor does getting sort of dizzy when you stand up. (plz make sure to stand up slowly ALL the time, hypostatic hypotension is not something to mess with if that is what is going on)

Not sure if it could be circulation with the hand symptoms or not. Travis has circulation issues due to the polycythemia if his blood is thick.......it tends to pool in his hands/feet and they turn red and sometimes burn/itch as a result. Don't recall a rash of any sort though. Don't know why there would be with a circulation issue.

I've been having issues with my hands/feet something awful of late. Cold causes pain, and I do mean pain......extreme at times. And cold can be merely "chilly" not even actually cold. To the touch they literally feel ice cold. Warming them back to blood temp is not easy either.

It's not something I've ever had issues with before this fall.........but I recognized the symptoms. Raynaud's syndrome. I thought to myself wth?? So I looked it up to see if I could figure out why in the world I'd suddenly be having this issue. I found it among the causes.......... allergy medications. Be darned. Made sense when I thought about it (knowing how they work) but it had never occured to me this could be a side effect of long term use. Oh goody. So now I do my best to avoid taking them every day. Not easy because I'm allergic to cats and Bruce is living inside. Looks like I may have to either rehome him or transition him the rest of the way outside this spring. ugh

Might want to look up the side effects of you medications and see if something turns up. (some of those lists can be awfully long)

9. cubsgirl

cubsgirl Well-Known Member

I am learning to trust my intuition. I have always been one to do whatever the doctor said and never question anything. About 1 1/2-2 years ago I started getting awful pain in my right side. Every three months I see my doctor for asthma management and I told her every single time about the pain and she kept telling me to take prilosec. I just knew that wasn't right. Finally a few months ago she did an ultrasound and voila! my gallbladder was chock full of stones. Now that it's out that awful pain has gone away and I feel great. I'm going to listen to my intuition from now on and stand up for myself.

10. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

I dont have fingers swelling but I have been having issues with my thumb either going numb or actually hurting. It may be using my lighter though, not completely sure because it comes and goes. I have also been having the hives and rashes. Now the thing that does concern me more is the difficulty breathing. I would want to have more of an explanation. When I had the meningitis I ended up with both a pulmonary embolism and a Deep Vein Thrombosis. I didnt know I had it until I went what they called "wet noodle" on them. I was attempting to do what they wanted me to do and I simply couldnt move anymore. They checked my blood oxygen and I was down into the 80's and could barely respond to them. They did tests on both my heart and my legs and I was throwing clots. If we had waited much longer to catch it and start the warfarin I would have probably died. Again. That meningitis was really trying to kill me!

11. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

If your instincts tell you something is wrong, something is wrong. Period. end of discussion. Any/every doctor who blows your instincts off needs to be fired and replaced with one who listens to you. Ditto if you are a parent and your instincts say your child is ill. It is what it is, which is your survival instinct telling you that you have a real problem.

While carpal tunnel can do much of what you are seeing, it should not cause dizziness or breathing problems. Hand swelling, changing colors, burning/itching can be that. If it is just the outer two fingers, or the thumb/other fingers, it can be a sign of a disc problem. MANY disc problems go away on their own, but they should be evaluated if you have numbness/tingling/burning/itching in either the ring and pinkie fingers or the other fingers.

It is not uncommon for your blood pressure to drop when you sit up from laying down or stand up from sitting. My docs called it orthostatic hypotension, and mostly they don't treat it other than to tell you to get up slowly and to sit for a few min before you stand, to stand up a minute or two before walking, and keep track of your blood pressure. You can get blood pressure monitors easily, and most fire stations, county health depts, and your doctor's office can help. Around here either the fire station will check it for free or the county health dept will if you are there while they have a nurse on duty. Here the ER will check it for free if they are not busy and you do not mind waiting until they have a free moment or two to hook you up to the machine.