Do you buy your pets Christmas presents?

BusynMember

Am I the only one who actually puts aside money for my pets?

I got new beds for all three dogs, doggie cookies, and am getting candy cane chews (they are huge and should last a long time).

The cats? Not sure yet. Probably some toys and special treats. Right now my three dogs are all wearing Christmas decor. My border/cocker is wearing a green and red one with bells. My cocker has a Christmas banana around his neck and my cockapoo is wearing a knit green and red scarf. My daughter laughs and says I'm crazy.

What do you do for your pets for Christmas? I can't be the only goof...can I be?

Last edited:

donna723

I absolutely buy them Christmas gifts! Their feelings would be hurt if I didn't. I went to Petsmart yesterday and loaded up with new toys for them but I have to leave them in the car for now because they can smell a dog toy a hundred yard away! But I must have lost my mind because I bought all three Bostons new Cuz's! If you've never seen one, they're like a rubber ball with feet and they have ear-piercing squeakers! They love them! They will not get them until after Christmas though. My son and I are going to South Carolina on the 22nd or 23rd and they will be boarding with the vet tech again at her home. No way would I subject her to the deafening sound of three Bostons with brand new Cuz's! She'd never agree to puppysit again!

And I not only wrap their gifts, I take the price tags off ... just because! They love to tear the wrapping paper off to get to the toy.

Last edited:

muttmeister

Not only do I buy gifts for my pets, I buy gifts for the people on my list to be FROM the dogs. They would feel bad if they didn't remember everyone who is here at Christmas.
And this year, I'm baking dog cookies for my two, difficult child #1's dog, and difficult child #2's two dogs. Peanut butter cookies for sure because they are Annie's favorite and I think oatmeal ones too, just because. I've found lots of interesting recipes for dog cookies so I will try a few out and make a treat package for each of them.

flutterby

Fly away!
Yep, they get new toys. This year the cats are getting a new tree stand thing. Jewel will get new toys and treats.

Like Donna, I have to hide Jewel's. She can smell the toy as soon as I walk in the house.

jal

I never have been one to, but that's just me, even though I am a HUGE animal lover. Yet, this year we will be getting some new toys @ Xmas for our 2 yr. old Boston, as she's gone through everything we've gotten her throughout the year (and she's spoiled). Our 2 cats could really care less for toys, they like their catnip and to harass each other (they really are close). Although one of them has some Siamese in him and he plays better fetch than any dog or cat I've had!

crazymama30

I love my animals, but things are so tight that I have never been able to do that. Not sure who is getting presents this year. If I could get them presents, I would get all the dogs a new squeaky--the really tough kind that is hard to chew thru, and the cats would get kitty treats and toys.

katya02

Solace
I bought a Santa hat for our horse a couple of years ago ... he looked so funny in it that we laughed at him, and he knew! He got the most depressed look on his face. Maybe I should upload that picture on the holiday card site ...

Pet Christmas gift FAIL :p

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, my pets have not been raised in a Christian household, so they don't celebrate Christmas, LoL.

My dog, who was born on 20 July 2002 (the same day husband died) gets a b-day present.

Jake, the cat, was a rescued feral so I have no idea of his actual b-day beyond it most likely have been in Spring or early Summer. I celebrate what I call his "Gotcha Day", which is the day he actually joined the family.

The route for gifts for my crew is right through their stomachs. Gryphon gets a BISON bone or venison neck roast for his b-day.

Jake is crazy about ground bison, or even better if I can find them, those tiny farm-raised quail.

We all eat birthday dinner together with me being the only one who eats her share cooked.

Gryphon likes those rope toys but is such an aggressive chewer that he shreds them in days. Even with the very heavy bones he can only have them under supervision. Only toy that really holds up is the Kong toy.

Jake doesn't "do" catnip, doesn't like traditional cat toys, but will chase a string or shoelace on occasion.

He does like those "glitter ball" cat toys, but after finding one in the "residue" while cleaning up outside after Gryphon, I decided those weren't a good idea, LoL.

toK

klmno

Yep, normally, but not this year-I'm not celebrating it really. I don't buy the costumes or dog decor but try to get stuff they want and can use anyway- like new beds if needed. They each have their own stocking which gets hung on the mantle beside difficult child's. That added a nice touch since it had only been difficult child's stocking before we got the dogs. Their stockings are filled with treats (maybe a brand I wouldn't normally buy due to cost) and a new toy(s). Oh- and a flavor coated bone. I will say though that their toys last them all year so this is the only time they get new ones. The male only has one type of toy he likes- a certain type of squeaky ball- so he gets a new one each year. The female, on the other hand, loves her stuffed animals that make noise. She gets a new species each year. LOL! She has so many now that difficult child says he wants to make her a toy box that looks like Noah's ark.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LMAO you're kidding, right??

Honey, not only do I buy gifts for my furbabies, but my kids who have moved away from home still buy gifts for my furbabies. :rofl:

Molly expects them. She is a huge lover of xmas and even unwraps her own gifts. lol Right now she's rather POed with me because I've as yet to find the box with her jingle bell collar. The tree is up, she expects to be wearing her xmas gear. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go get her and Betsy new ones. lol Cuz I keep getting the LOOK. ;)

donna723

Mine also exchange gifts with their poodle 'cousin' who lives in St. Louis. Every year mine send her something, usually a nice stuffie, and she sends them gifts in return - either toys or a big box of doggie cookies.

It's the only chance I get to buy those cute little stuffies. This is my cousins dog and she keeps her toys nice for years! She carries them around with her like a kid with a doll and always takes a favorite to bed with her. Mine will tear up a stuffed toy in less than a minute ... I've timed them!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My critters exchange gifts with a friends' critters downstate. In fact, when we visit, the critters usually send along some gifts for their "cousins".

Fran

Former desparate mom
New collars and tags are this year's gifts. I'll get them some treats but not too much. I love to fill their stockings. I have gotten them hats, back packs and various things that I think they would like. They aren't impressed with costumes but that's for me. : )

I may get new elevated food bowl holder if they are on sale.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When Gryphon was still a youngster and I lived in Chicagoland, I stuck a set of belled antlers on his head, and one of those belled jesters' collars around his neck. We walked in the pet parade at a local park.

You would've thought he was going to need intensive therapy to get over the experience!

He wears a heavy leather collar that is now on its third German Shepherd as is his street leash.

His flexi line is comparatively new: it is only on its second dog.

All the leather gear was made in Germany by a German saddlery company and there is no way to get that kind of quality over here unless you want to spend a fortune.

witzend

Mandy's getting a new dog bed that I ordered from a green stamps type thing I'm involved with. I don't know that I'll wait until Christmas...

DammitJanet

My dog and cat are getting new toys for Xmas and some cookies. Of course, they will also get the usual Xmas scraps too. Buddy doesnt need much in the way of new toys because he keeps snatching Keyana's stuff...lol. I will go see if I can get him something that looks like one of those baby toys that has bells and crinkly stuff in it...if not, Im getting one in the infant dept. It took him over a year to work his way through her old one. My cat just loves those scented mice...or real mice if he can find them...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
Of course we do presents for the cats. They are people too!

We do gifts for my inlaws' dog, my sister in law and nephews dogs (2 households), and I take special treats to my parents' cats. One of them shares whipped cream (from a spray can) with me. He gets his own can at Christmas.

I generally buy a really GOOD brand of canned food for them. There are a few shops here who sell super high quality canned cat food and dog food. I use the info on dogfoodanalysis to find the really top quality ones.