Do you collect anything odd?

cadydid

I do.. I collect pajamas to the point husband calls me the Imelda Marcos of pajamas. :laugh: Right now I have at least 15 pj sets.

I get a new pair whenever I'm sick.. Just something about a nice new comfy pair of pj's that make me feel better.

The kids like it because they know getting me pj's as a gift is always a safe bet.

donna723

What do you consider to be 'odd'?

I have a small (but growing) collection of souvenirs from the 1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair. My grandparents met there. I have glassware, plates and little metal trays, 105 year old magazines with articles about the Fair, lots of post cards and stereoview picture cards. The blank post cards are more valuable but I like the ones that people have written on. It's like seeing a little slice of someone's life from 105 years ago. My favorite thing is a fancy little aluminum case with three slots in it that opens like an egg carton - men put their cigars in there and then put the case in their shirt pocket - neat! Nobody can ever figure out what it is!

I also have a ton of old antique glassware, lots of Victorian stuff, EAPG, some just old weird things. I started buying old glass candy dishes, then branched out to wine glasses (mostly Tiffin) and decanters, sugar bowls and spooners. THEN I got in to old Victorian pitchers and Depression glass stuff and a few pieces of Carnival glass. When I ran out of shelf space, I built more shelves, but now I'm kind of maxed out again.

B

bran155

I collect quotes. I have 3 compositions notebooks full of them. In fact, I meant to post some. I am going to look through the books and pick out some good ones and post them. One of these days!!!

I also collect jigsaw puzzles. I have over 200 of them. I do them and then put them back in the box and they are all in my attic. I love to do them. It is very calming.

Oh and lately I seem to be collecting POUNDS, they seem to be adding up, mostly in my STOMACH!!!! LOL

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh Bran you got it before me!!! I was gonna say Cellulite!!!
I got nothing.
We did this one a couple of years ago also, as well as the weirdo quirk one.
I don't really collect anything. I have a bunch of snowflakes. But not a real collection yet.

Lothlorien

It's not odd, per se, but I collect Christmas ornaments from places we've gone on vacation. I also have a lot of Old-World looking santas. I have so many of them that I stopped buying them. I haven't gotten one in about two years.

I haven't expanded on it, recently, but I collect pieces that match my grandmother's china set. It started out as a simple tea set and I've added many pieces to it over the years.

I don't collect anything else. I don't care for tchotchkes. I don't want to have to dust them. The Christmas stuff gets taken out once a year and then gets put back. I don't have to worry about dusting those items.

KTMom91

Kitchen utensils from the 1920s' and 30's, to go with my house, also from the 1920's.

Willow Tree angels.

Lambs, because Mary had a little lamb.

Along the same lines as Loth's Christmas ornaments, my mom gets a gold charm from the places she's visited, and puts it on a charm bracelet. She started this years ago, and has filled three bracelets. She had the most fun finding charms in Europe.

F

flutterbee

Pets and kids. They just seem to show up.

Also, jammies and shoes. Can never have too many of either.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Stupid X's.

LOL Kitty, I will call my collection a collection of "Y's" but I will only have one Y in it, I am so burned right now, I give new meaning to the word extra crispy, sigh...................

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Dust.

Wrinkles.

Gray hairs.

And unfortunately, just like bran155, pounds. This part of my collection can definitely use some purging/thinning!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I collect old grocery tins from the early 1900's and old tin advertisements.

I think I was born in the wrong era. lol I love them. Oh, and they also happen to go with my house, which was built in the 1880's. Makes cool kitchen decor. :)

And yeah, I'm also collecting pounds. School is killing me. Somehow I've got to make the time to get some exercise. ugh!

SRL

I'm drawn to odd historical stuff. I have a lamp in my living room that's base is a clipper ship which gets raised eyebrows when people first see it but I love it.

Other oddities:
A President Nixon plate. FYI--demand isn't high on these and you can pick them up for only a quarter. ;-)

An ice bucket on the outside of which is a picture of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. (I'll bring it to the Cabin Fever party as I know you're all dying to see it).

Old Photograph of a big train wreck from the late 1800's.

DDD

I used to collect books but once we moved I had to quit as there is no room for more. I have a small collection of dinner bells and if I can ever retire I will add to that. What I would love to collect would be Civil War photos. Maybe in my old age..lol. DDD

Woofens

I am another book and jigsaw puzzle collector. Grapes. Anything grapes, my kitchen is done in green and purple, and grapes and ivy. Eeyore and Taz figurines and stuffed animals. SO collects motorcycle stuff and Goofy (from Mickey Mouse) stuff. Shot glasses. Kids LOL

When I was a kid it was unicorns. Glad I grew out of that one :)

OH, and toe socks and Birkenstocks.

Hugs
Janis

SRL

I used to have a hard time parting with books until I started going to the library book sales. I'd walk out with big bags of books for $7 because others had donated. After donating my first big box it got easier because I realized others would enjoy things on my shelf I don't use any more.

I still have loads of books, but I don't feel the pain--like giving away a friend-- when I part with some like I used to.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I've had a lot of collections over the years. I love movies- at one point I had over 1500 in my collection. I downsized when I got my divorce and no longer had the storage for them. I'm slowly replacing my favorite ones with DVDs since they are so much easier to store. A few times a year I grab the tapes I've replaced and take them to work and let the folks at work have them.

At this point my only real collection is watches. I bought my first fun watch about 5 years ago from Chicos (www.chicos.com). Collectible watches are all over these days so it's easy to add to what I have- I'm up to 20. At Christmas I found a silver rhinestone encrusted Fossil ($95.00 retail) watch at TJ Maxx for $20.00. I felt like I was stealing it! I love a bargain! :D

Suz