Do You Ever....?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Just wondering if anyone ever lets their difficult child go somewhere or do something just to get rid of them for a while?

P

PatriotsGirl

Absolutely! Got to the point here where when she was out for the night I was just glad she wasn't here making every one miserable. Gosh, it is so sad to say something like that. But, it is the truth.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Heck yeah. Sometimes the stress of having them there, is greater than the stress of "giving in" or worrying what they're up to while they're gone Choose your battles and all that.

klmno

Yep- even before he was a difficult child. I think it started at age 2yo. But I was a single parent and was with him 24/7 if I wasn't at work so I definitely needed a break from him and a conversation with an adult unrelated to work or babies.

Jody

All the time. Today is one of those days and I am going to mean it when I say it. The further away the better. Heck yes, but it is always more drama when she comes back, or she calls and wants to come home. She only gives other people 1/100th of what she gives me. Ugh. If I had somewhere for her to go tonight, I'de be all over that. The only thing I think is sad about that is that I really would like to spend some time with her, but can;t because of the behaviors. Take any get away you can get. We need and deserve it.

klmno

Maybe I should clarify and add that since my son became a difficult child, I can't find someone who would watch him.

KTMom91

Yes. When she was little, I was a single parent, so anytime she could stay at the grandparents, I was fine with that. Now...I have 50 more days till she leaves for college. Not that I'm counting or anything...

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh heck YES!!! MANY times!!! We were blessed when we lived out of state because my parents came to visit about 2x a year. They insisted we have a "date" if it was humanly possible. I also had a very good friend who would take my kids overnight every so often. I would then stay at her house while she and her husband went out. She had four kids and two of them did NOT do well at other people's homes or they would have been at my house.

Sometimes you just need a break from each other, regardless of behavior.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, often! And I couldn't wait for now so I can actually leave and not worry so much or even care if they got themselves into trouble!! Lol. I also used to allow easy child to do things I ordinarily wouldn't have just so she would get the break away from difficult child.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Mentioned this to husband last night and he laughed... He told me - sort of sadly - that he wished.

Later out of NOWHERE Onyxx asked us, "Wouldn't it be nice for you guys if I went to visit BM? So you would get alone time?"

I about spit my hamburger off the deck...

busywend

YES! For sure! In fact, I used to really take my time before handing out a punishment so that I could make sure I was not punished in the process.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yeah... No matter what happens, I seem to get stuck with babysitting duty. So, punish the kid? Punish the parent, too. Like the whole house arrest thing - it inplies we will hover over Onyxx every waking moment. Sigh.

idohope

Definitely. easy child 1 gets on my case sometimes about letting difficult child getting away with too much because she still gets to go to sport activities but it is too punishing on everyone to keep difficult child home from them. Better she is out of the house getting a physical workout for a couple of hours while we get some peace. I totally agree with thinking before dishing out a punishment; dont want to punish the parents/siblings more than the difficult child.