Do you have a Kindle or E-Reader?

Jody

I want a Kindle or E-Reader. Let me know if you have one, what kind and if you like it versus reading regular books. I went to price them and there are so many different kinds, I don't know what I would like to purchase when I get the money for one. Do you have one that is in color or black and white?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have a Nook - Barnes & Noble.

It's black and white, I don't see the point in color because most of the books I read are black type, white paper... LOL!

It's pretty cool. I wouldn't go for a Kindle because it is proprietary.

Jody

StepTo2,

Does the Nook come with books, and if so did you find any that were worth reading? Does it come with any magazines?

DammitJanet

I have a Pandigital and I adore it! I got it at Radio Shack. It does color and can access the web thru wifi or your internet access at home. It can use any format and isnt locked into one store. I have used it to go onto the web and come onto conduct disorders before...lol.

donna723

I don't have one but my son has a Kindle and he loves it! He's a BIG reader and I was going to get him one for Christmas but he said he wasn't sure if he'd use it, he likes to look at all his books on the shelves! So I didn't get him one but then his sister did! And now he loves it! It's much cheaper than paying $20-$30 each for all the books he wants and there's all kinds of free books you can download too. I'm thinking of getting one myself now.

H

HaoZi

Kiddo and I both have Kindle 3G/wi-fi. Love it, it has text to speech (okay, that feature needs work, but it saves my voice some nights), can play MP3s that I upload to listen to while I read, and the battery life is wonderful. I've also downloaded a ton of free books from Amazon, and with their other Kindle apps I can read those books on the computer, too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It came with a few samples, and there are thousands of free books out there - including Dickens' A Christmas Carol, Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and others...

Jody

Wow, I just searched online about the Pandigital Janet and that sounds great. It's in color and it's on sale for 129.00 at Best Buy. I didn't know I could go online with it too. I think this is what I might save for, hope it goes on sale again. Any problems with it that you can think of?

DammitJanet

None that I have found. It has a slot for a SD card and it also has the MP3 thing and all that. I have a ton of books that I can send you that someone else has sent me. I still havent read them all..lol. You can get a case for it at Radio Shack because I couldnt find one to fit at Walmart. I dont have a Best Buy near me. Make sure you get the screen protectors with it. That is needed with any large glass screen though...even the phones. If you have one of the newer smart phones with a touch pad, you should have a screen protector so you dont get scratches on it.

KTMom91

I have a Sony PRS-505, and I love it. It takes straight pdf's, no conversions required, and has a memory card for increased memory. Hubby got it for me at Target a couple of years ago.

muttmeister

I have a plain black and white Kindle and I LOVE IT!!! I mainly got it for traveling...the battery is supposed to stay charged for about a month. But lately I've been using it a lot even when I'm not traveling. It is great to tuck in your purse to use while you're waiting in an office, in line, etc.
They have TONS of free books (especially if you're into classics) and most new books are available for download (which you do by WiFi and a whole book takes about 2 seconds). To buy a new book for the Kindle is MUCH CHEAPER than buying the actual book. You can store up to 1000 books on it.
I still like the smell and feel of real books but I'm using my Kindle more than I ever thought I would and I really do like it.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have a black and white -no color -Kindle and love it - didn't think I would cause I love a book in my hands, the smell of the paper....but like to read in bed and a paper book requires two hands - the side of the kindle you press a button and it turns the pages - so I can munch and read at the same time

I can download books at a cheaper price than I can buy them, down load free books, and games. If someone wants to give me a gift card, they can do that thru Amazon so I can buy the books I like and have them automatically download. And the best thing is you can lend out your books for two weeks to friends I "think" the Kindle is the only one that has this option

Marcie

I charge it on the USB port on my computer and the charge lasts a really long time.

skeeter

we have 3 Sony's - I have an older 505, husband has the newer "pocket" and we have a touch (bought reburbished off of Woot).
I love the Sony's - as already stated, they take .pdf and Word docs (although the formatting in word can get a little messed up) so I have a lot of my work documents on mine. There are tons of free sites out there (one of my favorites is Smashmouth). And if you like Sci-fi, I've gotten a lot of free books off of Baen.

I love the battery life. I flew to the UK last September, and was there a week. Didn't have to charge it at all - even with two over 8 hours flights (and a 4 hour pain in the rear layover in Chicago).

Plus our library is connected to the Ohio ebook project, so I can download those books for free.

BusynMember

Haha. I've been writing e-books for YEARS and actually make a good buck sometimes. Of course, what sells big right now, unless you are a NY author, is erotic romance, so that's what I write. I write love stories (my favorite part), but also have to include LURID sex scenes. My biggest seller, for example (probably sold 5,000 copies or more) is Kidnapped and Spanked by an Alien...lol. I am published under Loose-Id Publications and two others, but Loose-Id is the big one.

Yet I don't OWN a Kindle yet! I hope to get one soon because I really love to read.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
You can also get the kindle for use on your laptop or disktop computer. It is a free download and then you can purchase all the kindle books and get the ones that are free also. I don't know if you can get nook software on your computer. my inlaws all LOVE their kindles. I have also used mobipocket software for ebooks on my laptop. It has been around for quite a while. I started because my hands get so bad I cannot hold a book open for long and I like to read for hours.

Thanks for starting this. I am thinking about getting an ereader in a few months, but just am not sure yet which one or when.

Steely

OK I will the one and only party pooper. I hate them all :( :(

I know, everyone in my family has a kindle - they even offered to give me a hand me down, and I said no.

My reasoning? I feel like we are losing a whole legacy, a whole era - BOOKS. Most book stores are closing down because of this, which also means fewer jobs for people. In addition, every book that I have read and not given away sits happily on my bookshelves. I look at each book cover and am nostalgic or reminiscent of where I was when I read it, how it made me feel, who gave to me, etc. The one and only thing I wanted from my sister's house when she died (which I didn't get) were her books. She had touched every page, some tear stained I am sure. Her soul resided a little in each page.

So there you go. I know for some with arthritis or bad eye sight the electronic books are a life saver - but I just feel like for the rest of us we should stick to the actual book. The ones that sits and stares at us on our bookshelves full of memories, and can be passed down to other generations for centuries.

Just my 2 cents - I know - most don't agree - but I feel pretty passionate about it so I had to share my take.

H

HaoZi

Haha. I've been writing e-books for YEARS and actually make a good buck sometimes. Of course, what sells big right now, unless you are a NY author, is erotic romance, so that's what I write. I write love stories (my favorite part), but also have to include LURID sex scenes. My biggest seller, for example (probably sold 5,000 copies or more) is Kidnapped and Spanked by an Alien...lol. I am published under Loose-Id Publications and two others, but Loose-Id is the big one.

Yet I don't OWN a Kindle yet! I hope to get one soon because I really love to read.

I saw the article on how well those stories are selling. I'm working on a dark fantasy story right now. Well, I'm guessing it falls under dark fantasy, I really need to see where the genre lines are drawn.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I received a Kindle for Christmas and I absolutely love it!!!! Like others I wasn't sure how I would like it because I love books, turning the pages, everything about them but I love my Kindle. It's great and I like that the books are less expensive. I like that I can highlight with it and take other notes. I even have some games on it.

H

HaoZi

You're not entirely alone Steely. If space wasn't as much of an issue for me as it is I'd love to have a huge room as a dedicated library with nice comfy furniture for reading. As it is I've cut my collection down to pretty much just my favorite authors and some reference books, and I still don't have enough space!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have the original K2 Kindle with Whispernet to Amazon. You are NOT limited to Amazon content. There are several free apps out there that allow you to d/l books to the computer, convert them to Kindle (.mobi) format, and then transfer them to your Kindle via USB.

I love my old Kindle, and unlike the colored screens; there is no problem with reading in bright sunlight.