Do you have any...

tiredmommy

New Year resolutions? I've never been one to wait for the new year but I'm considering it this year. Which resolutions have been successful, which have not? And why?

meowbunny

I don't make real resolutions but I do try to make a mental list of things I would like to change. I've found that if it's important to me, I can do it. If not, it won't happen.

For example, I got tired of the non-stop battles with my child so I decided I would have to change, she sure wasn't going to. Even before I ever heard of The Explosive Child, I started putting things in baskets of sorts. It saved a lot of battles. I should lose weight and I should quit smoking. Neither is all that important to me to change, so they don't happen.

F

flutterbee

I don't make New Years Resolutions. If I decide I want to change something, I change it then.

goldenguru

I make resolutions year round. I think it was Socrates that said "An unexamined life is not worth living". I think there is so much truth to that statement.

Right now I'm working on less worry- and trying to just be more in the moment.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm one who also likes to make changes when I need them but the end of the year does give me a good chance to reflect.

The resolutions that have been the most successful for me are the ones I have truly been committed to. They are ones I have spoken out loud to good friends or have written down also seem to help me follow through on.

M

ML

I seem to make the same resolution over and over again: get healthier. But my addictive eating habits make it hard. by the way I make this same resolution throughout the year, not just on New Year's. Despite my lack of success, I'm not ready to quit and I'm ready to give it another go. I will try to do some things differently and will be looking into the healthy living section for encouragement.

Lothlorien

I never make resolutions. This year, I just want to get to a healthy weight and be more fit. I don't need to be skinny, just fit.

smallworld

I think it's more helpful to make concrete resolutions. Instead of "I will get healthier," I find it easier to stick to resolutions like, "I will go to the gym 5 days a week," or "I will go through my cookbooks and make recipes for dinner that are healthy and taste good."

TM, good luck with whatever resolutions you decide to pursue.

Fran

Former desparate mom
PHP:
"An unexamined life is not worth living"
GG, absolutely.

Knowing that there are things to work on can start any time of the year for me but Jan. 1st is a good starting point.

I'm forever setting short goals to get to the long term goals. It's more manageable for me.
Last years goals were more closely achieved than prior years. Gives me hope that this years goals will be even better.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Not sure it's a New Year's goal, but I'd like to lose the 20lbs I've gained in the last few months. I suppose it didn't help that I just got up at 2am and ate a HUGE chunck of jalepeno cheese helps a whole lot.:surprise:

Abbey

maril

Abbey ... lol ... your post made me think of myself -- I just ate some sweets in the middle of the night after earlier deciding I would let the holiday goodies alone and pick better foods to snack on; PLUS I was determined to not eat in the middle of the night! So much for that...

KTMom91

My resolution this year is to get to the gym at least four days a week. I want to get my high blood sugar under control before I become diabetic.

LittleDudesMom

I don't really call then new year's resolutations, but like someone else said, the end and the beginning always give me pause for examination.

Last year my goal was to begin to get healthier. If started with eating and eventually worked into exercise. While I did not loose as much weight as I hoped, I definately made a dent at just shy of 60 pounds this past year. I will continue on that journey this year. I have learned to respect and enjoy exercise for the first time in my life.

I would like to quit smoking this year. I've just been having this internal dialogue as to whether I should 'cold turkey" it or cut back and eventually stop. I think the cold turkey method might be the best.........not sure.

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
YES I AM - and thanks for asking!

I'm resolved to NOT BEING THE PATSY in my son's troubles -

This 2009 is a YOU FIXA you own problems year......

Wow that felt good.......