Do you know what cats do...

F

flutterbee

...when they've gotten themselves half in and half out of the handle of a large plastic Kohls bag?

They tear through the house like a bat outta hell, running into walls and doors, sliding on the laminate floor, knocking over candles on the coffee table, knocking books off of bookshelves, running under the bed, then over the bed, then back to the front of the house where they make a flying leap for the top of the shutters, but the bag has grabbed some wind and they weren't counting on that when they made that jump and they just kinda slide down the wall. And this is all happening so fast that all you see is a streak of white and this large gray bag flapping behind them.

Then the dog perks up and starts barking hysterically and you'd love to help the cat, but you're laughing so hysterically that you can't breathe let alone move. :D :rofl:

When you do contain your laughter enough to try to help the wild-eyed, panting-hard cat, they FREAK and take off again and now you've just peed your pants from laughing so hard and you have to enlist the help of your children. Who, fortunately, have the wherewithal to get a pair of scissors to cut the bag off the cat rather than trying to disentangle the cat from the bag.

Abbey is going to be so upset that her favorite bag is ruined. She has the best time playing with that bag. But, Abbey is 6 pounds soaking wet and walks right through the handles - on purpose - whereas Hydro is a good 15 pounds, at least, and not nearly as agile and feline-like as Abbey. He's a big, clumsy oaf who is sweet as can be, but never has an original idea and only decided to play with the bag because Abbey was having so much fun. So, he had to kick her out of it.

Bet he won't do that again. :bigsmile:

ALWAYS remember to factor in the entertainment factor of our pets. :D

donna723

OMG ... I can just SEE that happening! That's hysterical. What is it with cats and plastic bags? My daughter's huge cat loves to crawl in to those big semi-clear plastic trash bags. He'll sit in there for hours, just looking around through the bag - it seems to fascinate him because everything looks so different through the bag.

Ragan (my oldest Boston Terrier) was once "chased" through the vets office by an old office chair on wheels. Funniest thing I've ever seen! The tech is a friend of mine and I was sitting behind the counter talking to her while Ragan wandered around exploring the open area behind the counter, dragging her leash behind her. Her leash caught on an old wobbly chair in the corner ... when she noticed that the chair was "following" her, she freaked out and started to run. The faster she ran, the faster the chair "chased" her! She was in an absolute panic, eyes bulging even more than usual, running in big circles as fast as she could with this old chair rattling and clanking along behind her! We were laughing so hard, the poor thing made at least three rounds of the office before anyone could catch her and calm her down.

busywend

boyfriend just told the same story to difficult child last night about a cat he had years ago doing the same thing. Pretty funny scenario. Pretty scary for the cat, I bet! LOL!

Abbey

Spork Queen
My cats always loved paper bags.

My inlaws own another house down the block. They get a call last night from the elderly lady who lives there that her cat had wedged himself between the screen and window and can't get him out...and her arm was stuck trying to get the cat out with it biting and scratching her.

He runs over there and yep...granny's arm is dripping blood. He quickly took the screen off from outside and got the cat out. She broke the cat's leg!! So...vet trip!!

Abbey

tiredmommy

My youngest kitty (a real difficult child) likes to do stuff like that. As a matter of fact, her favorite activity is to run and slide on the hall runner at about 5:30 in the morning. :rolleyes:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
OMG, too funny.
difficult child 1's cat got her front legs thru the window blind cord while running on the back of the couch. It was an "L" shaped couch and when she reached the end to jump off, she hit the end of the blind cord. As the kitty flew out, the blinds would go up, and as kitty lost momentum and swung back around to the couch, the blinds would come back down. When kitty hit the couch, she would take off running again, only to repeat this several times before difficult child and I could stop laughing enough to rescue her.
As funny as it was, it was a valuable lesson - thankfully kitty got caught behind her legs, not her neck. All blind cords in my house now and thoroughly knotted so it can't happen again.

F

flutterbee

It was the funniest darn thing. I laughed for hours. Was telling easy child's girlfriend about it and was laughing again. Poor kitty.

When we moved in, there is this valance type thing above the picture window in the living room. It is material that is stapled to plywood and is screwed into the wall. It's not something I would have picked out, but I can't take it down because Abbey has the best time on top of it. She gets up there and then her tail hangs down behind it and she goes around and around on it chasing her tail. It's so much fun to watch her. If I had anything else up there, it would be ruined.

As I said, Hydro doesn't have an original idea. So, he saw little Miss Abigail up there and decided it looked like a lot of fun. Doesn't realize he's more than twice her size and not nearly as graceful.

So, I'm outside planting flowers right under that window and hear a noise and look up and there's Hydro....dangling by one paw from the valance...just kinda swinging around trying to figure out how to get himself out of this particular predicament. :rofl:

Cats are so much fun.

Here are some pics of my babies. :D

Hydro when we rescued him (and they had 3 weeks to fatten him up before we got him):

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/?action=view&current=HydroThen2.jpg

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/?action=view&current=HydroThen.jpg

Hydro Later (he is the most laid back cat I've ever known):

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/?action=view&current=HydroLater.jpg

Miss Abigail:

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/?action=view&current=MissAbigail.jpg

Miss Abigail on the valance (to give you an idea of my story):

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/?action=view&current=Abbeyonvalance.jpg

Jewel (notice the white heart on her forehead):

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/?action=view&current=Jewel.jpg

Lothlorien

Love the pics....

Cats are just too funny. My old cat used to do the ricochet thing and was running through the house one day when the glass door to my entertainment center was open. She ran right into that glass. She stood there for a while trying to shake it off. husband and I almost peed our pants laughing.

She was on my dining room table once and swatting at the zipper on my gym bag and being a little skittish about it. I snuck up on the side and just when she swatted it, I moved the bag toward her and she seriously jumped about three feet in the air and sideways off the table and took off. I still laugh about that when I think of it and that happened 12 years ago.

Marguerite

My parents had two cats which used to be very good friends; only occasionally while the white cat was grooming the tabby, he would suddenly get bored with the task and bite. The tabby would then box his ears.

One day I saw the white cat grooming the tabby again, both cats looking content. I couldn't resist - I snuck up behind them and pinched the tabby's tail. He turned and boxed the ears of the white cat. Poor white cat had a look on his face of, "What'd I do?"

Mean, I know. But funny.

Then another day - SH & I were walking back from the beach and saw the tabby sitting on the roof of husband's car where he had parked it under a dense tree. The tabby didn't hear us - he was oblivious, muscles tensed like a coiled spring as he watched the birds just above his head in the tree.
I walked up behind the cat softly and then shouted, "Boo!"

The cat levitated. it's the only word for it. However, he did manage to turn in mid-air and land, glaring at me.

The birds flew away.

And speaking of birds - it's cold here today, but something mischievous has got into Buddy the budgie. It's like he's been overdosed on caffeine. I went to get him out of his cage and he BIT me! Not tat it hurt, it wasn't hard enough, but he was made to stay in his cage a bit longer. When I reached in again, he behaved himself and got onto my finger. But he was very agitated, scurrying here and there. Very odd.
Then I had him on my hand as I began picking up rubbish from the kitchen bench. I picked up the plastic ring that had been attached to the screwtop lid of the milk bottle and Buddy went crazy. He grabbed at it, balanced it, climbed through it, wore it round his neck, dropped it and caught it again and got even more excited. Then he managed to get his legs tangled in it and rolled over along my arm. He would have fallen if I hadn't held my cupped hands under him!

The funniest thing! So I tied it to his play gym with string, and he's been having a wonderful play time all afternoon. He's been perched on his play gym, pulling up the plastic ring as if he's reeling in a fish.

It's amazing the fun they have, with our rubbish.

Marg

F

flutterbee

Oh, those plastic milk rings will keep Abbey entertained for hours. She has the most fun. She entertains herself so well...and the rest of us, too. :D

I would love to see your budgie doing his tricks with it. That sounds so cute!

Loth, I've been known to sneak up behind one of the kitties when they're focused and just poke 'em real quick. hehehehehehehe They can jump pretty darn high on a second's notice. :bigsmile:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez, Heather. Everytime you say "Abbey," I think you're talking about ME. How does she know I love to stuff myself in paper bags and play with plastic rings??? Hmmm...

Abbey

W

Wishing4Sanity

I love "hearing" the animal stories. Thanks for the laugh, it was much needed tonight!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Oh yeah, milk rings, wadded up paper, pen lids......my cat used to go after all of them. (she's too old and fat now to bother). When she was a kitten, we moved a large chaise chair and when we picked it up, found all sorts of her "toys" underneath. She came running up like "GASP!!! You found my stuff that I lost! YAY!!!"

When I was still living at home (maybe elementary school age) one of our 2 inside cats had a case of worms. One very long one didn't quite make a complete exit into the litter box which of course freaked the cat out. She's tearing through the house with this long worm, uh, chasing her and our other cat is tearing along right behind her chasing and batting at the worm. A couple of days later, mom fixed spaghetti for dinner and set the plain leftover noodles down in a small dish for the cats. They came running up but when they caught sight of it, the one who had the worms skidded to a stop, turned and took off. You could almost see the cartoon conversation bubble above her head saying "Oh $%& no!!!" All Mom or I have to do to send each other into convulsive laughter is to bring up the spaghetti incident.

Another good giggler story.....my dad and step mom had this really neat cat once. He was absolutely huge, had long hair and the neatest coloring. (full name was Katmandu from the Bob Seger song but we just called him Mandu) My step mom bought some satin sheets one time. Mandu liked to sleep on their bed during the day and after the sheets were on, he went in like usual. Only this time when he jumped up on the bed, he slid all the way across, smacked into the wall and dropped between the bed and wall.