Do YOU suffer from depression? How do you keep a positive perspective?

F

familyof5

I have had to go on medicine at least temporarily for my anxiety and panic attacks. I am not a big advocate at being on medications either. You might want to try it to see if it makes a difference for you.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
[You need] family therapy to formulate a battle plan in your home so you are working towards some type of goal/achievement for harmony in your home. Otherwise you are all just existing without a plan, and nothing is ever going to be solved.

Star

This is where I am finding myelf "existing" without a plan....no goals for peace and harmony in my home....everything is about difficult child--giving to her, doing for her, everything must revolve around her and her feelings.

Am I depressed? I would say, I am "scarily depressed"....I am so far beyond regular depression--and I recognize how far I am getting. For me? Medication? Therapy for myself? What a joke!

I don't need therapy as much as I need a practical solution. difficult child's doctor says to me "O just relax !" or "You need to take a break !"--but there is no strategy for how I am actually supposed to do that. I've told her I cannot leave the children home alone together....so I can't go "out". doctor acknowledges this. Docs suggestion is that I should go "out" by spending time in the backyard by myself and just let the kids battle it out inside the house if they get into a disagreement. Yea, great. I told her that difficult child does not have any empathy for DS at all and will not hold back from causing DS serious injury or even killing him. She has already bloodied him on several occassions as well as trying to choke him and poison him. doctor does not have any answer for this....but yea--I should take a "break".

So life goes on this way...

DammitJanet

I dont have situational depression, I have bipolar so for me its different. I cant go without medication or its not pretty. Thats just not an option I allow myself. I did do therapy for quite awhile. Not as long as I would have liked but because of insurance, it is coming to an end. Blasted insurance!

I do have spells where life does overwhelm me. I think that is fairly normal with what we deal with or have dealt with over the years. Taking medications isnt a bad option when that happens.

I remember when my middle son left for boot camp with the Marines. My doctor handed me a script for ativan and said all parents of kids entering the military should get a script for that with refills until their kids were out of the military...lol. He had a point.

Bean

Gosh you guys are a wonderful, really.

I know that living through what a lot of us are going through only exacerbates any kind of mental health issue that may or may not be there. And if it isn't there, it starts. :tongue: My mother, who's never been depressed a day in her life, now understands what it is like, having lived with my daughter off and on over the past few months. It was kind of sad to hear her say that, really, but it also gave me a bit of an outside look at what chaos, sadness, fear, anger, and emotional abuse can do to a person - even a healthy-minded person.

I think I've come a long way from where I've been (it still amazes me that I'm not a full-blown alcoholic or in constant fetal position by now). I should be a hot, buttered mess, lying on the floor sucking brandy from a baby's bottle. But I'm not. For the most part, I'm thankful, functioning and satisfied. At least that's my aim. I don't always hit that mark, though.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm just a hot mess. :tongue: and. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii live in a pineapple under the sea...........................