Do you think its wrong to get second hand toys for Xmas

H

HaoZi

.I didnt even think she was old enough for that. I was thinking more towards 7 for that for her. Sigh.

Wow I thought most of them were outgrowing them around that age! Of course, my kid sleeps with a stuffed dragon, so what do I know about girl toys? lol

DammitJanet

From what I read on the American Girl website the "age" list on it was age 8 and up for the larger dolls and but they have like a set of toddlers that are twins for 3 year olds. However Keyana has had so many really expensive baby dolls over the years that I couldnt see buying her the toddler American Girl dolls.

I had talked to tiredmommy about them maybe a year or two ago because her daughter duckie has them and we were talking about what age to start keyana on them. Keyana just turned 5. She has been extremely spoiled over the years that it is now getting to the point of what in the world do we get now. It was so much easier when she lived here because I knew what she was doing, what she liked, what she was into at the moment. Heck, I dont know if she likes Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony or Star Wars. When she left she still couldnt color very well so I have no clue if she would like something in the Crayola line. They have some really nice products out now.

DDD

Janet I am the last person to know much about buying toys as, thank heavens, the young gd is the only one still into toys. What I have purchased for her, however, has been "old fashioned" toys and therefore she is the only one of her friends who has them, lol. She's nine but not very mature.

Her last present was a hardcover book with paper dolls to dress. It has a storage section to protect the dolls themselves and the "clothes" are not made of paper so they don't rip. I've gotten her an Etch A Sketch. I've also gotten her Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys in the big container. Those, by the way, had to come back to my house where she can play and then pick them all up to put them away. I "almost" got the Star Lite (or is it Star Bright) but I knew those little pieces would be lost at her Moms. Same for pick up sticks, marbles etc....somebody would have ended up with a broken neck tripping over them. LOL DDD

DammitJanet

DDD...I dont think I am the average bear as far as Xmas presents. I dont do just one or two per grandkid but maybe I should start doing that. When Keyana lived here, we were here main Xmas because her toys stayed here. We certainly wouldnt give more to her than Hailie so we always have fun giving lots of presents. Plus I have missed the fun of buying for kids once mine grew out of the toy age. A dvd player or jacket isnt much fun to me. I have always loved finding the cute toys for the kids.

DDD

Enjoy! We've never gone wild at Christmas but...if you live at our house when you're a kid, lol, nobody would know that. I'm not into shopping period. Somehow I missed that gene. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

Maybe I go more wild because I was an only child and it was so darned lonely. My life was pretty messed up. Im sure there is a whole ton of psychological junk in there to decipher why I do what I do. Duh.

I can remember waking up on Xmas mornings and getting board games and thinking to myself that it was so dumb because I had no one to play them with. My parents sure wouldnt and I didnt have any close friends to come over. I think my games got opened and probably got used maybe once.

donna723

Janet, I know exactly what you mean about the fun of buying toys! It has been many, many years since mine were young enough to play with toys, but then along came the grandson! My first Christmas as a grandmother was awesome! My good friend and I went Christmas shopping ... her kids are grown and gone too and she has no grandchildren yet. The two of us just cut a trail through the Toys R Us and had so much fun shopping for toys for Ethan! We were in there for hours!

And now it's his third Christmas and we'll probably cut back some now that I've retired. Last year he got a ton of stuff from me, a lot of toys from Santa, and a truckload of toys from his dad's side of the family. He got so many gifts, he actually got tired of opening presents and had to take a break for a while! He has so many nice toys that he doesn't even play with and they're running out of storage space. This year they have asked that instead of so many toys, we maybe get him books (which he loves), little kids videos that he watches all the time or clothes. I see their point but it takes a lot of the fun out of it for grandma!

KTMom91

I hope it's not wrong, because that's what I'm giving! LOL

I found a beautiful wrought iron doll bed and a doll's wicker chair second hand, and that's what Maddie is getting from us.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Mary it's not wrong. Remember, it's the thought behind the gift that counts. And your gift sounds pretty awesome to me.

Janet.........I come from a rather large family, with a rather large extended family. I think that whole extended part got drilled into me somewhere while I was raising my kids. <acronym title="Mother-in-Law">mother in law</acronym> adored xmas, it was totally her holiday. And she loved spoiling her grandkids rotten buying them special gifts that often parents couldn't afford, which they loved and adored her for (not only that but that she took the time ect). But I watched as grandkids turned into grandkids AND great grandkids.......and then great great grandkids........... And I decided back then, not me. Families grow, it's what they do.

I'll admit I've gone a bit crazy on some xmases, but even then I try to keep the dollar amount down and the gift number down. And like <acronym title="Mother-in-Law">mother in law</acronym>, xmas is really the only holiday I actually really get in to and enjoy. But from the very beginning with Kayla......I knew that someday down the road there would be greats coming along. So, like I've done my whole life......I made a plan about Nana gift giving. I rarely go over 3 gifts, usually it's 2 and they're pretty darn nice (maybe not in cost but in that the child really is wanting it in the worst way). Great grandkids I most likely won't buy for at all when they come along.....I may chose another more affordable route instead if I do anything.

But when you do like <acronym title="Mother-in-Law">mother in law</acronym> was doing.........adult children, adult grandchildren, great grandchildren (both adult and child) AND great great grandchildren.......omg! We kept telling her to STOP already. One she couldn't afford to buy for that many people realistically and two the job of shopping and wrapping left her exhausted until like march......and she ordered most of it.

Why did she keep it up? Because she'd always done it and she thought everyone expected her to, regardless of what we said. The woman stashed treats and holiday crafts nursing home staff and volunteers gave her for xmas to give to the great grandkids and great great grandkid when we visited her, she had herself in a real snit because she couldn't buy them presents. omg........And you know what? The kids still adored what she gave them that year, and still have the little craft decor items and put them out. (sort of goes to show cost really doesn't matter to a child)

Me? I don't want caught up in that loop, no sirree bob. So to prevent it I've compromised with Nana Rules. lol Four kids, 3 sils, and 8 grandkids.........can be a big ouch on the wallet. (and only katie has her tubes tied ugh lol )

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The links aren't working properly, but they will be.

About a month ago, husband and I sat down with mother in law to go over her budget. And we found a super OUCH. She had "budgeted" $500 per person for Christmas. OK - she has a son, a daughter, a daughter in law, 4 grandkids and 2 great-grands. That's NINE people. Plus she likes to get "a little something" for my parents - we'll say $100 each. So - she "budgeted" $4700.

Mind, she's got credit card debt up to her eyeballs. husband and I both went off. There is nothing, nothing, nothing WE need from HER that costs $1000. Onyxx - well. mother in law decided she'd just "give us the money for Onyxx's gift, she doesn't deserve anything" - that's as may be, but that's rather witchy. She'll buy Jett a bunch of video games he isn't allowed to play (as usual)... I'm likely to get something I don't need, don't want and doesn't suit me (shhhhhh)... My sister in law could use just the money, let's skip the "gifts"... My nephew wants nothing to do with his maternal grandmother... My niece already owes mother in law about $40K (not an exaggeration). Her two boys, 6 and 4, don't need a lot of STUFF.

We told mother in law the best present would be to pay off her debt. Alzheimer's or no. But I doubt she will. (Last year Onyxx and I got matching rabbit fur earmuffs. Onyxx will never wear them, and I'm allergic.)

A few years ago - I'm going to say 2004 or 2005 - it took the KIDS over 4 hours to open all the gifts from her alone. They were cranky and tired by the time they were done. That's not Christmas. That's insanity.

Now? We do one "big" gift, a couple of "small" ones, and stockings.

InsaneCdn

This didn't come at xmas... but in the fall. Every year. From a grandma we hardly ever got to see. And in it, for each kid, was... hand-knit hat, scarf, mitts (2 pr) and skating socks (2 pr). Pure wool. Hand carded, hand-spun. She did it for ALL the grands. As soon as the box was sent, she started making for next year.

I still have - and cherish - some of those socks, and she's been gone over 30 years.

The best gifts (for any occasion) are not necessarily expensive... but are tailored to the needs of the recipient, and show direct interest and care.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very true IC.

Aubrey is insanely in love with the hat and scarf I made her last year.......and the diaper bag for her doll.

Darrin is all excited and hoping I'm going to make him some mittens. lol

I'm making the grands hats, scarves, and mitten sets this year. Except Aubrey because her and Nichole got matching sets last year and are still using them. I'll probably make Aubrey mittens for her set as I still have left over yarn from that project. Other than that........I need to think of something to make her for this year.

I enjoy making gifts for the grands.........and it gives me something useful to make with my new "nervous" crocheting habit. lol

DammitJanet

Well I have bombed on my crocheting. I am just not up for it.

I do think I have decided to start cutting back though. I might make it one big present, two medium ones and then a stocking.

I am going to attempt to get Tony to make Keyana a bunkbed for her dolls. Im sure he could do it rather easily with some trim lumber from the home improvement store.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I work at GW.........so you're asking the wrong person and.......as a single Mother who raised her son WITHOUT child support (refused it due to WHY BOTHER?) Yeah ------I have no problem whatsoever with it - Neither do the nearly 200 customers that come in our store (one of 10 in the area) every day. You do the math.

So today - a man and his wife pull up in a truck towing a trailer - an 18 foot car trailer. FULL OF used toys. There were so many boxes of toys I had to get TWO huge cardboard boxes on pallets and use a pallet jack to tow them into the store. It was phenominal. Nice things too. The man took a picture of the boxes he donated and he and his wife actually reminisced as they put some of the toys in the donation box. Laughing and smiling and 'remember this?' It was all very sweet. It was sweet until they said "Well we're off to go get CHRISTMAS for the kids. And I thought "O.M.G" are you serious? You could literally fit 4 full grown women in one box that I just hauled in (and I took in TWO) and they were OFF to get get MORE toys? WOW......just WOW, and the stuff they donated was good, sellable, usable stuff.

Some customers were even out on the sidewalk asking for the items, but it's against policy - so we had to say no, but still - WOW.

Makes you wonder if they really remember the TRUE meaning of Christmas or got lost in the commercialsism of it all. At that point I remember Dude saying "One of the poor kids can have one of MY toys, and I remember thinking how proud and sad I was because here I was thinking he WAS the poor kid but with a thought like that? He really WAS the richest kid.

Janet - I'd set it up like TOYLAND...........and no one will EVER know the difference............

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know what you mean Star. easy child needs to do a clean out of toys like that for the boys in a big way. It's not all her fault either......they have a LOT of grandparents when you include great and great great and the step thing, and most on sister in law's side over do with presents. Not that easy child and sister in law don't do their fair share of spoiling.

It's what made me shift gears and try to find the something special that would make their holiday, something suited just for them that I knew would make their eye light up because they would know that Nana knew what they really wanted. And if that something is 2nd hand, so be it.

Alex nearly wet his pants over his batcave. They haven't sold in stores in years. There was no choice but to go to ebay for it.

It was Evan with his tools and tool belt. I guessed correctly that much of his destructive behavior was actually curiosity based. Last I heard he was still sleeping in the tool belt.

Darrin's barn with his sturdy animals and the tractor and trailer. He's been playing with it since he was 2. Once in a while I find something to add to it.

Star at least those people didn't just throw those toys away, but passed them on to be used and love by other kids. I know so many people who just toss them into the trash.

DammitJanet

Well I was never that bad...lol. I have about decided on my plans I think. Trouble is I have no idea how to get the toys to Jamie and Billies house for Xmas. I am trying to see if I can beg them to come down here at some point between Thanksgiving and Xmas. I just dont see how we will be able to make the trip up not only due to work but my body isnt cooperating with any travel of that distance but I doubt they will understand that. Besides I cant stuff Cory, Mandy and the baby in my backseat with the carseat. Supposedly Keyana will be done here for two weeks.

I am doing one larger present for me and papa, two medium presents, a stocking and one present that will mysteriously arrive for the grands from their great grandfather. I am going to start them on a snow globe collection or a star collection. I havent quite decided. It would be perfect if I could find snow globes with stars.