Do you throw them out? What are YOUR feelings ? Explain your detachment.

T

toughlovin

Gettxtina..... we did send our son to a therapeutic boarding school when he was 15. I think it was helpful... but did not totally solve his drug problem. I do think he learned a lot and if hadn't started using drugs again, it might have been the main thing he needed. So yes I think the good programs can do some good, but it won't necessarily solve everything either.

I do think when you are talking about kids over 18.... the idea of guiding them to a different environment only works if they are willing to take your guidance. At 18 they don't need to follow your guidance and some of our difficult children here absolutely will not.... so sometimes throwing them out is exactly what you need to do. This is what we ended up doing with our son and I hated doing it, it was awful and horrible and it had to be done. Otherwise he would have continued to wreck havoc on the family and would continue flagrantly violating all our rules and it had to stop. And in the long run I believe strongly that it was the right thing to do, and I believe my son knows we had no choice at the time.