Does anyone else get more done at home when others are around?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have no idea why I'm like this, but I admit that it is not my imagination: I get more done around the house when someone is home.

When I'm by myself, I tend to putter around and not really accomplish much of anything. When someone is here with me, I become more focused and have no trouble diving into chores. And the more people that are here, the more I get done!

Why is that? Am I just lonely? Do the other people create some kind of external stressor or pressure that motivates me more to act? (I can think of events from my childhood that could explain that... but that's a novella for another day).

Sometimes it even helps if I turn on the TV when no one is around. Music doesn't seem to work as well (I get caught up in that), but listening to other people talking, especially a news program, gets me moving. I can even IRON (the most tedious and mundane thing I can think of) with the TV on, but take that away and put me in a house all by myself, I will avoid, avoid, avoid.

Okay, so that's my own little personal insight for today. Anyone else similarly afflicted?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I get more done when it's just me and the zoo.

Mostly because I'm not constantly nagging someone else to do something or hiding from the drama.

...And company on the way? I mobilize the troops and turn into a drill sergeant. Jett! Scrub the toilet. Onyxx! Vacuum the living room and hall. husband! Dishes. Meanwhile I'm whirling around picking up stray things...

busywend

I am opposite. I get more done when alone. I guess because it feels like it will stay that way for awhile.

For sure I motivate when company is coming. I should have a party, that would get my house clean!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
IF I am motivated (i.e., house is a mess, company's coming, etc.) I can get waaaay more done if I'm alone. If everyone is home, I feel annoyed that I'm doing everything and they are just one step behind me making another mess. Just thinking about it makes my blood boil.

Nope, definitely more productive when I'm alone!

Mom2oddson

Then I'm weird too. I have recently discovered that I get a lot more done when people are around or will be around sometime that day.

This being alone in the house has left me with no motivation. Since it's just me, I don't feel the need to keep the house spotless-ish or as nice as I like it for my husband and family. Maybe I'm reverting to my teenager years? It's my mess so I'm okay with it?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I want more done when there are people around, but I get more done when there isn't. Generally, I think its because when there are others around, its husband, and he does nothing but sit in front of the tv, which ticks me off; or its wee difficult child, and he destroys more than I can accomplish in any given time frame.

So I get more done when I'm alone.

flutterby

Fly away!
Count me in the club, too. I get more done where there are others home. Alone - I accomplish little. It's the motivation, but I'm not sure how it works. It just does.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Woo-hooo! Now it's a MOVEMENT!

Just because YOU can't admit that you're part of the club TOO, Star, and have to plaster purple duct tape all over your face... well, some people have to live in denial I guess.