Does anyone else think this is disgusting?

JKF

I'm doing some heavy cleaning in the family room in order to get ready for Christmas. I decided to pull out the couch and I was absolutely taken aback by what I found under there! Along with the stray Legos and dust bunnies there were literally hundreds of ......TOE NAILS! Yes you read that right! Apparently easy child/difficult child peels his toe nails, CHEWS on them, and then shoves them under the couch! I am SO disgusted and literally speechless. He's in BIG trouble and is in his room right now. I can't even look at him! Is it just me or does anyone else here find that completely and utterly disgusting??!

BusynMember

I think it's disgusting but my autistic spectrum son did too. I never saw him do it and never saw any evidence of it, but once he was asked if he did and he blushed and said he did. Ick!!!

DammitJanet

Billy also bites and chews his toenails. I will be darned if I can figure out how he gets his toes to his mouth! The boy weighs at least 350 pounds but yet he can get his toes in his mouth! Normally men arent that limber that way. Women yes because of the way their hips have to be to give birth but even I cant get my feet up that high anymore. I could until a few years ago when the arthritis got so bad in my back and hips but now, forget it. Him, he can throw those feet right on up there!

JKF

I think I'm more disgusted that instead of throwing them out he decided to make a toe nail graveyard under the couch. There were literally hundreds under there! Uggggh! And Janet - I am totally giggling at your reply! I love your way with words and I am cracking up! Thank you! I needed that!

Mattsmom277

Okay, so this is so disgusting, but also comical looking back. My face must have been hilarious for its stunned disgusted look. As a teen, one weekend I spent overnight at my then best friends house. I had a mad crush on her older brother (2 years older than her). I woke up in the morning and went downstairs to the living room, I was last to be awake. When I walked into the living room, they were sitting on either end of the couch and honest to goodness, were literally chewing each others long toe nails off! Kid you not! Can you imagine a 15 year old girl and a 17 year old boy noshing on each others dirty feet fangs? I was so repulsed. They just cracked up laughing and said Oh we've always done this!!!! That somehow just repulsed me further.

In one of life's oddities, I haven't seen either of them since I was about 16. Well I moved this summer, and they live a block away on my same street. Apparently despite being 40'ish, they reside together. Somehow, that isn't surprising to me ;)

I don't know that you can break people's quirky habits, even if they do seem very gross. I think you absolutely can draw the line on the part where hundreds of nails pile up under furniture!!!

Edited to add: The day of the Team Chew, my crush died a well timed death. The end. Never could see him in the high school halls kissing his flavor of the week girlfriend again without giggling and wondering if she knows he uses that mouth to nosh his sisters nasty toe nails

SuZir

And here I thought my difficult child was only person continuing their toenail biting habits after toddler hood. Yes, it is disgusting, but his toes and his mouth so not my business. Apparently his girlfriend has banned him doing that when she is present. But again, what people do in their own homes behind the closed doors without hurting anyone else...

InsaneCdn

JKF... just my two cents, but... if the couch is going to be his toenail maintenance area, then HE needs to do a full vacuum of the couch - inside and out, including under the cusions - every week.

JKF

Okay, so this is so disgusting, but also comical looking back. My face must have been hilarious for its stunned disgusted look. As a teen, one weekend I spent overnight at my then best friends house. I had a mad crush on her older brother (2 years older than her). I woke up in the morning and went downstairs to the living room, I was last to be awake. When I walked into the living room, they were sitting on either end of the couch and honest to goodness, were literally chewing each others long toe nails off! Kid you not! Can you imagine a 15 year old girl and a 17 year old boy noshing on each others dirty feet fangs? I was so repulsed. They just cracked up laughing and said Oh we've always done this!!!! That somehow just repulsed me further.

In one of life's oddities, I haven't seen either of them since I was about 16. Well I moved this summer, and they live a block away on my same street. Apparently despite being 40'ish, they reside together. Somehow, that isn't surprising to me ;)

I don't know that you can break people's quirky habits, even if they do seem very gross. I think you absolutely can draw the line on the part where hundreds of nails pile up under furniture!!!

Edited to add: The day of the Team Chew, my crush died a well timed death. The end. Never could see him in the high school halls kissing his flavor of the week girlfriend again without giggling and wondering if she knows he uses that mouth to nosh his sisters nasty toe nails

OMG! I'm sitting here at work totally cracking up! I can't even imagine what went through your mind!

JKF

After freaking out a bit yesterday, I calmly explained to easy child/difficult child, that while I find the habit to be pretty darn disgusting, if that's his "thing" than fine. To each his own. Just don't shove them under my furniture. Throw them away! Also, he's not allowed to groom any part of his body anywhere but in his bathroom or bedroom. I asked him how he would feel if husband and I clipped our toe nails and scattered them under his bedroom furniture. He was seriously repulsed at the thought. Sometimes I have to use examples like that before he "gets it".

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
My husband is constantly picking at his toes right in front of me, mostly on the couch or somewhere where he can really get to them. He has ingrown toenails. Yes, it's disgusting, but the sound of it is even worse! That flick flick flick really gets to me. I don't even know what he does with the bits, maybe they're small and all over my rug :(

StressedM0mma

Oh Wow!! Thank you all for these comments. I had a crummy day today (not difficult child related) and this just had me cracking up. Cheered me right up.

Jody

I am dying here. lol. I saw my difficult child eat her toenails once. I almost vomited. omg, I can't ever remember doing that as a kid. Thank goodness. laughing so hard right now about the sister and brother. ICK.

husband and difficult child both pick their toes - don't eat at them though. Shudder shudder. That brother and sister - eeewwwwww!!!! icky!!!!!!

husband and difficult child also both bite their nails - but not in front of me!

HopeRemains

Ick! difficult child sits on the couch and puts his foot into his mouth so that he can bite this toenails! UGH! I make him stop when I catch it, but I guess that's not the most disgusting thing he does, so...

Jody

I am so sorry but I had to tell you all that I have had to come here and reread this post and laugh again, ecspecially that brother and sister thing. EWWWW. I just can't stop giggling about though I am totally grossed out. lol

JKF

I am so sorry but I had to tell you all that I have had to come here and reread this post and laugh again, ecspecially that brother and sister thing. EWWWW. I just can't stop giggling about though I am totally grossed out. lol

Jody - same here! I was laughing so hard at my desk at work today and my coworker asked if I was ok! I'm glad other ppl have disgusting toenail stories to share. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!!!