Does anyone understand blood test results?

Malika

My son J had a blood test to see if he is diabetic. He is at the high end of normal but not yet diabetic (5.5 when diabetes begins at 6). Various other things were tested, including the enzymes that I gather are to do with liver function. His AST (SGOT) is higher than normal, at 35, and his Gamma GT lower than normal, at 10.
Does this mean anything to anybody?!

svengandhi

The glucose doesn't read the same way as in the US. Here, numbers like under 100 are normal, 101 - about 130 is borderline, etc. You should ask the doctor what it means. Did he eat before the test? When I was pregnant, I chewed a piece of gum on my way to my glucose blood test and wound up having to go for the 3 hour fasting test. I didn't and don't have diabetes...but...

KTMom91

I'm borderline diabetic (hovering around a 5.8) and am on medications for it. Did they want to start him on Metformin or any kind of oral medications?

Malika

He had to have fasted for 12 hours before taking the blood test, which had been ordered by the doctor because he had already shown a hyperglycemic level in a blood test (after having fasted). I haven't yet seen the doctor about it. I have read that diabetes can cause hyperactivity. Could this be at the base of something?? I also didn't understand the liver thing, but hopefully the doctor will explain when we return from Morocco in the new year.

Methuselah

Hi Malika,

When the doctor ordered the lab tests, did they order the antibody test for Type 1 diabetes, too? If your son took a sip of a drink or snuck a piece of candy before the test, it will raise his glucose numbers. If you're concerned, get a glucometer and test him the minute he gets up in the morn before he steps out of bed to see if his sugars are normal. You can also test him two hours after he finishes eating his main meals. (Just don't let him have anything but water until the test.)

Are the liver function tests in range just on the low or high end of normal? A slightly abnormal liver function tests is usually nothing. Something a simple as a seat belt pushing against the liver due to an abrupt stop can create an out of range result.

Malika

Thanks Methusaleh. I don't really know what the doctor ordered (couldn't read his writing :)) but the test also shows the results for red and white globules, which all seem normal apart from one which is slightly higher. J didn't have a thing to eat or drink before it - I was with him all the time and could ensure that. His gycemic index was 0.9, so high as the top end of normal is 1. To be frank, it doesn't mean anything to me...

susiestar

Roll With It
I am not sure what the tests mean exactly. IF the diabetes test is the A1C, then it may mean he is predisposed to being diabetic.

Mostly blood work done once doesn't give too much info unless you are way above or below the normal range. In order to truly figure out what is going on, the tests must be repeated over a period of time and tracked to see what they are doing - staying steady, rising or lowering. That is far more meaningful than any one set of results.

Sadly, there are very very few docs who do this. Years ago my mom started doing this on advice from a friend who also had a chronic health condition. Mom was able to go back and find lab results with the numbers from tests done in her past and she made a graph for each one of them. she changed docs about that time due to one doctor retiring and insurance dropping another of her doctors. She took the graphs to the rheumatologist who looked at them and said that she had an inherited liver disease. It was the first we had ever heard of taht disease, and it was the beginning of effective treatment after more than a decade of treatments that didn't do anything to really help her or to slow the degeneration that the disease was causing.

NONE of my mom's liver enzymes were EVER out of the normal range. The level of one enzyme went down steadily and the level of another went up and that trend is what was needed to give the diagnosis. Mom was put on a medication that changed her entire life, and her pain levels dropped enormously. She would never have known about the disease until her liver was so bad that she was almost at transplant stage if she hadn't done those graphs. She problem would have been dead by now if it wasn't caught, and it would not have been caught because NO ONE bothered to look at the levels because the info simply wasn't there. One doctor had most of the tests, but the docs don't look to see how those levels change over time, and that is what tells the real story.

I do think you need to speak to the doctor about the levels, esp those out of the normal range. I would also consider getting a glucometer and testing him in the mornings for a few days or maybe 2 or 3 times a week for several weeks, keeping track of the results. This would give more info to the doctor and it would help you also. I urge you to get some graph paper and start charting the test results any time they are done. It will help the docs catch any health problems before they are major problems. I have had more than a few docs tell me that they wish that more of their patients would do this, but they never bother to TELL the patients that it would be a good idea. I think that is nuts on the dr's part, but that is another issue entirely!