Does someone know a lot about medicine? Please check mine out.

Jody

I seem to be taking more and more medication. I go to my psychiatrist and she keeps adding more medicine or upping the dosage. Here is a list of what I take. Can anyone tell me if this is not a lot of medications, and I just feel like it is?

Wellbuterin 450 mg 1x day
Prozac 50 mg 1x day
Trileptal 450 mg 1x day.
ativan 3x daily as needed

I feel like I can keep taking all this medicine and I don't really feel much better. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have BiPolar (BP) 2, depression, anxiety, extreme irritability causing anger issues.

smallworld

Most people with BiPolar (BP) need a first-line mood stabilizer (Trileptal, Lamictal, Lithium, Depakote, Tegretol) plus an atypical antipychotic (Seroquel, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Abilify, Geodon). Antidepressants like Wellbutrin and Prozac can destabilize people with BiPolar (BP). A mood stabilizer that is particularly helpful with depression is Lamictal. You might want to ask your psychiatrist about it.

If your psychiatrist doesn't understand the mechanics of treating BiPolar (BP), you might need to seek a second opinion.

Steely

Those are the same thoughts I had. It is usually not recommended to be on that high of a dosage of anti-depressants when you are diagnosis with bi-polar. ADs can increase mania, feelings of irritability, anger, etc., in patients with bi-polar.

I also would be concerned that your doctor is giving you Ativan. It is highly addictive physically, and once on it, it is very hard to get off of it. (I know this first hand.) Most docs will not recommend that type of medication long term.

I think I would seek out a new doctor and get a 2nd opinion. Being self educated is the most important piece though. Research medications and mental illness and know what seems right or wrong before you go to the next doctor.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Smallworld is right. Nearly all BiPolar (BP) people require a mood stabilizer and an AP. Some BiPolar (BP) people can tolerate an AD as well. I don't think I've heard of anyone taking TWO ADs and having success with that (unless you count a tricyclic for sleep and even that can be iffy).

The general rule of thumb is that the BiPolar (BP) patient must be stable on standard medications before CAUTIOUSLY adding an AD.

tiredmommy

Jody- I need to remind you that we are not doctors, just parents (& patients) that have had personal experiences and have done independent research for our respective family's benefit. This is not to be substituted for qualified medical advice. Like the others, I suggest you seek a 2nd opinion if you are uncomfortable with your medication regime.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Agree with the other smarty pants on the board!
I take Trazadone which is a Tetracylic AD, it works differently than most other AD's, i think. I also took Zoloft and it worked pretty well for me.... BUT I was stable on my MS's first.
I also have Xanax PRN, but I would not take it 3x's a day unless I was dealing with a huge crisis nor would my psychiatrist let me. She would push me to work out other ways to deal with the issues before the Xanax.
I try to use the Xanax as my last resort.
It is great but it is not great when and if you have to stop.

I love Lamictal for me, it seems to help with my mixed states and my agitation. I top it off with Topamax! SO far I don't need an AP.
But I also have Klonopin and a few others on board off and on... mostly for sleep.
But everyone is different and if you are not feeling better you need a tweak.

Good luck

crazymama30

My husband is BiPolar (BP) and his psychiatrist will NOT let him be on an antidepressant, he is just too hard to regulate.

Everyone reacts differently to medications. My husband takes 500mg of Tegretol xr twice a day. 900mg of neurontin three times a day, plus an assortment of other medications for different conditions. At one point husband was on 1mg of clonazepam three times a day, but that was discontinued.

Talk to your psychiatrist. We do not have the whole picture, and if you are not satisfied with your psychiatrist go get another opinion.

Marguerite

Jody, can you take your bag of medications plus any letters you have concerning diagnosis etc to a pharmacist? Preferably the same bloke you see who dispenses your prescriptions? It is a service our pharmacists provide here in Australia - we go to the chemist to get our prescriptions filled, but these blokes also have the training to look at all the medications we are taking, and see if there are any possibly cross-reactions. They can't change your medications for you but they can help you sort it out with your doctor and can also include any advice on over-the-counter stuff too, that you might be taking.

All you can really get form us is at best, experienced lay opinions from people who have no training (probably) and no access to your medical files. THis is a serious enough issue for you to need to get someone qualified to look into it.

It's a very sensible query, though. You just have to ask the right people!

Marg

DammitJanet

I agree wholeheartedly with Tiredmommy about the fact that we are just parents or people dealing with some sort of disorder that leads us to knowing about some of these medications. We cannot tell you what to take or not take.

I can share my own experiences.

When I first started taking medications, my GP put me on AD's because they assumed I was "just depressed and anxious"....HA!

That lead to one of the most hideous manic attacks ever. I will spare you the details but even the poor ladies who knew me here watched that in horror!

Then I went on topomax and wellbutrin with trazadone for sleep. Ambien was added at some point and in february 2003 I was given a rx for 1mg of ativan. That was when my son left for boot camp and my doctor told me that all mothers of kids leaving for the military should automatically get ativan...lol. Cant say I disagree with him.

I took it for two years with no problem coming off it.

Now I am on:

Lamictal
Topomax
Neurontin
Klonopin
Seroquel
Ambien
Zanaflex
Lorcet ES
Ketoprofen
Biotin
Vit D

Yeah...a ton. I rattle when I walk...lol.