Dog Anxiety medication Update

DDD

One more time "the Board to the rescue" has benefited me. Sure enough I got an Rx from the Vet for Prozac (I called and verified Walmart does pet medications and the lady laughed and said "dogs, cats, birds all the time".) That's a HUGE $$$ savings.....almost $80 a month less than Reconcile!

Thanks guys. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you got his medications affordably. I remember when prozac was brand name and I was paying a fortune for my own prescription and the vet wanted me to get some for my cat. Um. No. Not at several hundred dollars a month. I did give her some of mine to get her out of the funk. Never would have thought my cat and I would be on the same dose of prozac, LOL!

We had to go to a special compounding pharmacy for my Sammy Cat's sinus medications. They have to be given through the asthma nebulizer blown in his face for half an hour three times a day when he gets allergy problems. Never would have expected to use thank you's nebulizer on THE CAT either!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
D3, I am very interested to hear if this is successful. My sweet Chloe needs something like this.

Suz

DDD

Ace has been swallowing a pill a day for a month and it has really helped him chill out. He is NOT "drugged" but not so easily frightened and eating less furniture etc. :redface: For him there have been no side effects at all and it honestly has made it much easier for all of us since he isn't so jumpy. I
am so so relieved to get the Rx that is affordable as business has been very very very slow and $90 for a doggie scrip would have been a stretch.

Why don't you try it and see how it goes? DDD

witzend

How did you get your doctor to rx this? I have asked for it for Bubba, and it has been refused. He's soooo hyper, and could certainly use it when we are away from home for vacations, at the VERY least.

DDD

Witz, we adopted Ace just a couple of months ago. When husband took him to the Vet (the same Vet we used for our other dogs) he told the Dr. about the restlessness and inappropriate eating (books, papers, arm covers etc.)
and asked if there was anything we could give him to help him. He was so very skittish. The Vet sold us the dog medicine for separation anxiety and it cost around $90 bucks. It obviously has helped Ace. Someone on the Board told me you could get Prozac for dogs filled at Walmart. After I verified it with Walmart I called the Vet's office three days ago. No call back..lol. I called today and they put the Dr. on and he agreed it was the same medication and wrote the Rx for 90 days.

I said "two of my friends tell me that their Vets write the Rx for Prozac and they fill it at Walmart". I didn't tell him that they didn't live here. LOL! Honestly, I think that made a difference. You might try it. on the other hand, I doubt that you can use it for special occasions only. I think it is a cumulative medication like it is for humans. Good luck. DDD

witzend

Thanks, DDD. Honestly, I'm getting a bit worried about Bubba. He's getting more arthritic, deaf, blind, and panicky. I'm worried that he will hurt someone because he always was high strung, then the addition of never knowing what's coming at him from the deaf and blind tends to make him lash out, if that makes sense? He' so old, and in relatively good health, but I know he won't last forever. I wish I didn't have to put him away when people come, but the psycho barking at every new sound and movement is just too much for most people.

witzend

Me, too. I usually get "he has allergies", or "you should hire a behavioralist".

I agree that a behavioralist would be good for both dogs in theory. But in practice, we have very few visitors other than the boy who walks Mandy and is the one I am most worried about Bubba biting, and neither dog behaves inappropriately with us. Hard to train a dog to not do something he or she is not doing, if you know what I mean...

Sheila

I have a friend that had to put her dog on Prozac. I forget all the problems pup was having, but do recall that aggression was one symptom.

She said it helped a lot.