Dog biting fur and getting red spots...obvious itching

BusynMember

The dog in my avator (Damian) is 3/4th chihuahua and 1/3 ****zu. He has been biring his hind leg and has even pulled the fur out. It is red there. Well, more a pink now because I've been treating it, but he's still biting and the fur is still gone and I know it's not fleas...

I had another chihuahua who had skin issues, and tried hard to make sure Damian wouldn't. We feed him high grade food that is fit for human consumption. Ok so hub sneaks a little people food in...I have told him NOT to! He's a man. He doesn't listen :) I bought anti-itch pet spray from the pet store. He is still doing it. Today I gave him a medicated bath. He can't get in to see the vet until Monday. I'd like to make him comfortable over the weekend. Anyone else have this issue with dogs? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Without seeing it, I wouldn't be able to tell if it's like what Molly gets or not. But tar soap heals her up. Hers is more like human psoriasis.

Oddly, also giving her an egg a couple of times a week helps. Probably the amino acids. If I forget the eggs for whatever reason, the condition starts up again. ugh

You could try generic benedryl to help reduce the itchiness.

donna723

Is he only itchy in the one spot? It could be a "hot spot". They can also get yeast infections and fungal infections on their skin. And of course this is allergy season for dogs too just like it is for people. The little pink Benadryl tablets can be given to dogs twice a day if necessary - it won't clear up the skin problems but it will stop the itching, and if they're not biting and scratching as much it will heal faster. I give Ragan the Allergy Queen a 25 mg Benadryl tablet every morning with her other pills and it helps a lot. The dosage rule is 1 mg of Benadryl for each pound of the dogs' weight. Ragan weighs about 22 pounds so one 25 mg tablet is close enough. You can give it twice a day but don't give two at once - give one in the morning and one at night.

If it doesn't clear up pretty soon though, I'd have the vet look at it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
L.C. started out like that. NOW her entire body is like that - and we're fighting every day - blisters and the poor thing is just miserable. Our vet took a scraping, put it under the microscope and its Demodectic mange. NOTHING is working and he's literally out of options. We're trying straight Ivomectin right now. I can tell you that a LOT of skin illnesses need treatment with antibiotics specifically FOR the dogs skin. I think the one LC has used is Cephalexin? It's like $30 a bottle. Clears her up until she runs out. Then she's a blistered mess again. And she's on $14.00 a bottle shampoo. No corn food, and ABSOLUTELY not allowed out the day we cut the grass - we do that in FRONT yard / BACK yard stages. I cant WAIT for flea season. We're going to try ADVANTIX (was that it???) like donna suggested. Bendaryl is a godsend - it puts her to sleep so she stops itching.

InsaneCdn

Dogs with mange sometimes do better on hypoallergenic dog food. (sure, like THAT's cheap, either)

But... this stuff must be highly contagious.
Now MY skin is itching like crazy just reading the thread!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Is it JUST my imagination or does your dog look like a young version of JIM from MOlly and Mike - GOSH that is a cutie patootie

donna723

Star, It's the Advantage Multi that they have Ragan on for the demodex. That's not what it's really for but they said it also seems to help with demodex. The Advantage Multi is for fleas & ticks and also serves as a heartworm preventative so they have to have a heartworm test first to make sure they are negative for it before they start on the medication.

H

HaoZi

There's a healing spray I used to get with aloe in it when my cats and dogs used to do this. Can't recall the exact name but I think it was made by Hartz.