Dog rescue anyone?

BusynMember

Has anybody done dog rescue? I'm considering doing cocker rescue. The dogs would have to be around the same size as my dogs, which is why I picked cocker rescue (and they'd have to be male because my lab mix is dominant toward female dogs). The size thing is because Rufus and Prince are afraid of bigger dogs, and I'm not interested in a very tiny dog yet. I guess that may not make me the most desirable home, because I have to be choosy, but I love animals and I'd love to help save some.

:tongue: Funny, I always thought I'd do foster care when my kids were all grown up. Well, my youngest will be 13 and she's fairly low maintenance as is Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son. I can pretty much do what I want to do now, but the last thing I want is to ever raise a child again. I've moved onto dogs (cats too!).

donna723

I've never done it myself but a lot of people in my Boston group are members of rescue groups. It's something I've thought seriously about doing when I retire in about two years.

I assume that most rescue groups operate pretty much the same way. They do such wonderful work! They accept owner turn-ins (very sad!) and abused or neglected dogs or they pull them from the shelters and pounds. They receive all their needed medical treatment and they live with foster families while the search is on to find the perfect family for them. People are constantly watching "Petfinder" for Bostons in shelters and when they find one, someone pulls it and they take them in to rescue. Of course, they always need foster families too and people to do home visits for people who have applied to adopt a dog.

There have even been volunteers who have taken dogs from one end of the country to the other to bring them to their new family! A series of people will each drive 100 miles or so of the route and pass the pup along the 'chain' till they get to their new home! Rescue is such a GREAT thing! I'm sure you would find it very rewarding if you got in to it.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Rescue is a wonderful thing. It's hard to see neglect and abuse all the time without wanting to do something.

BusynMember

I know. I hang out at our Humane Society (it is basically no-kill, but that's only BASICALLY). They do have to kill sometimes. I always see animals I want to take home. It breaks my heart. I do want to help.