Dog Training Experts???

Marguerite

We used the knee trick with our dogs when I was a kid - we were training corgis, and yes - it even works on a small dogt. It's much more effective on a big dog and it is NOT cruel. A dog's breastbone is quite hard, they quickly learn to not jump up if you say, 'Down,' as they jump AND you put your knee up to get them in the breastbone.

The choke chain - I remember those (not the spikes though). But now in Australia they call them check chains and you're not supposed to use them (as I used to) to pull on the dog when it runs on ahead. Instead, the chain CHECKS the dog when it's donig the wrong thing. The sog is in control of how much the chain checks him, the dog learns to control it by backing off from whatever it is doing wrong. It should never choke the dog. Only check it.

We don't have a dog, but I love dogs, I grew up with them and ours were well-behaved and well-trained. People would see our corgis and buy one, wanting one that behaved like ours, then wonder why theirs was a yappy, snarly little crittur. The answer was always in the way you handle the dog. The nastiest ones wwere the ones which were allowed to control their owners, or who were allowed to beelive they were in charge. For a dog to think it has to be responsible for the sawfty and behaviour of its owners is just too huge a responsibility, no wonder some dogs get neurotic and snappy. "Some owners just don't know how to behave!"

And I think kongs are a marvellous idea. I wish we'd had them when I was a kid with dogs. Dogs (especially younger ones, which includes up to 2-3 years old espewcially for a bigger dog) will get bored easily and need to be played with. They need to be worn out by a kid. We used feed sacks, we could hang one in the tree with a ball inside it, the dog would grab the sack and swing from it. But not if you hang washing out!

Marg

witzend

We use the knee trick and Mandy hugs your knee. It's totally useless. :(

Try the medium sized Kong stuffed with small Iams biscuits. They really have to work to get the treat out and they really enjoy that. It's not so much about the amount of food they get out of it as it is about the amount of chewing they get out of it, and all the better if you can make it fun. Rope toys are great, too, but don't leave him alone with it as they sometimes eat the string and get them caught in their gut. Bubba and Mandy can go through one of those rawhides you are describing in about 2 -3 hours. It's really fattening, so if you can find something that's more about work than eating, it would be better. Like I say, try the non-edible "nyla-bone". They're meat flavored, and Mandy and Bubba both like them. Bubba doesn't chew as much now that he's older.

http://www.nylabone.com/products/

We also picked up a used treadmill on Craigslist for $100. Mandy figured it out after about two minutes. We put her on it for about 20 minutes a day at a good trot in addition to a walk outside. I always sit there with my coffee or a book and watch to be sure that she doesn't fall off or get too tired.

Marguerite

Treadmill - brilliant idea. Videotape it for YouTube.

Jerky is good, if you get it for dogs. It needs to be tougher, so it takes them longer. We can get dried pigs ears, or kangaroo jerky is great. Healthy and lean, too, not fattening. Pity you probably can't get the roo.

What about a visit to the butcher for a very large beef bone? It should keep him busy for quite a while.

Marg