Dog Vaccines?

witzend

I thought I had already posted this but it must have gotten lost somewhere.

Does anyone give their dogs vaccinations themselves? Not rabies, but all the other stuff that they get? I know how to give shots subcutaneously and intramuscularly, so that's not a problem. My dogs are both healthy and I want to keep them that way. They get monthly heartworm and Frontline, so there's no need to run those tests. They're not fat, their appetites and BMs are good, they have plenty of energy and rest well.

I'm sure that there are Feed Stores here that sell vaccines. I need to know how to find out how much I should give them. I know what their schedule is, but I need to know by weight. Any hoops I have to jump through? I'm sure that breeders must do this all of the time.

TIA for any information!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
TSC here, the staff will tell you that sort of information. Dosage is based on weight.

But I don't know of any given after puppy shots other than rabies. Here? We can do rabies as well. I don't because I like to have that record stating they've had it, when they've had it, so should something happen they wouldn't have to go into quarantine.

Only thing I've done other than puppy shots and rabies is heart worm (Maggie because it comes in her flea medication) and flea medications. I've never given a "vaccine" past the age of 5 months that was not rabies......and that is like every 3-5 yrs. If you titer the vaccine, it might give you a few extra years. Betsy only had one and her antibodies were still fine at age 6. Titering is cheaper than the vaccine....just a blood draw. Never had the vet even mention vaccines other than that. Ok, I've had a big city vet try to tell me parvo/distemper was needed yearly......phht. But then he was a money grubber too......and not just with vaccines.

InsaneCdn

I've had a big city vet try to tell me parvo/distemper was needed yearly......
If you live in an area where these problems are seen frequently, then... it's worth it.
We're in that kind of area.

If we lived out in the country with mostly-indoor dogs? Probably wouldn't bother either.

witzend

Kennel Cough is given nasally every six months or subcutaneously every year. Bubba got that and it was awful. I thought the nasal vaccine was good for a year rather than 6 months. It was terrible, and he never really got over it.

Janet, I will check aggrisupply and see what I can find nearby.

BusynMember

On the topic of dog vaccines, does anyone check the titers before they let a vet or they themselves give a dog any vaccine? Next year, before I vaccinate my pups I'm going to get titer tests. They are expensive ($80 for each dog), but I don't want to overvaccinate my babies.

DammitJanet

They are not that expensive if you buy them yourself. I guess I will have to get the Kennel cough one. We have never done that one but never had it either. I have to take Abby in to the vet soon to get heartworm check if our new TSC doesnt carry revolution. If it does, then Im just going to use that because that covers heart worms too. We need to get that for all our dogs but I have such a hard time convincing Tony that all dogs, even his beagles need such things. He thinks he can just dip them. I will prevail! He learned I was right about dog food...lol.