Doggie Dosing Help plz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Molly is in desperate need of benedryl. I bought the benedryl. But the link I had to the site that gives you the correct dosing for dogs was on my last computer...........or the last hard drive in this computer, which explains why I was confused as to why it wasn't on my favorites list.

So anyone who has such a link I would greatly appreciate it...........and so would Molly who has yet again decided to chew her tail raw and make it bleed.:itching::rolleyes::(

thanks

donna723

I just checked on the search feature on my dog board and it says 1 mg of Benadryl per pound of body weight, no more than three times per day. You can give up to 2 mg per pound of body weight if it is for something really bad like a severe reaction to an insect sting, etc.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks donna. I thought that was what it was, but I wanted to be certain.

She'd been doing well enough that I hadn't been forced to resort to the benedryl. So it's been a while. I hate to give it to her because it makes her drink like a fish and dopey as all get out. But it does give her relief.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our vet has us give 1/2 a tablet to the small cats, and 3/4 to a whole one to Capn Morgan the lard tush, and our last dog got a whole one (25mg) but she was a 45 lb lab mix. It is HARD to get them to take the liquid form - makes a HUGE mess because they froth up at the mouth. The vet did that once and it was quite amazing to watch.

donna723

Our vet told me to get the children's liquid Benedryl but a lot of people find it easier to give the tablets - I have the syringes to use to squirt the liquid in their mouths. I've never had to use it yet but it's there if they need it. If they have a severe allergic reaction or get a bad insect sting, a dose of Benedryl can mean the difference between life or death before you can get them to the vet. I have a regular little doggie first aid kit that I keep. Another good thing to have on hand is regular ol' peroxide. If they ever eat something or swallow something they shouldn't have, give them two tablespoons of peroxide at a time, every few minutes, and eventually it will make them throw up! You will not be their favorite person for a while, but they'll get over it.