Doggie hit with a golf ball.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
easy child 1 just came in from playing with the dog. He accidentally hit him in the head with a golf ball. The dog's eye is swollen and it obviously hurts him (this is the jack russel...he's volunteering to be calm...not his style).

The eye is bloodshot. He's mostly keeping it closed.

I'm worried about him.

flutterby

Fly away!
I think you pretty much watch for the same sx you would with a person. Will he let you hold him and ice the area on and off?

I can't remember for sure, but I think dogs can have baby aspirin. That would help with swelling if so.

crazymama30

Dogs can have either aspirin or baby aspirin depending on their size. No Tylenol, and I am unsure of ibuprofen.Can you ice it somehow? If the dog wants to be calm, that is good it needs to be.

donna723

I would keep a good close watch on that eye and if it's still looking bad tomorrow a trip to the vet is in order. If it hit him right in the eye I'd be more worried about injuries to the eye than concussion. A vet can tell you if his cornea is scratched or damaged or if there's internal damages to his eye.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's my concern. The eye looks different than the other, tho I can't really describe how. I'm gonna take him in.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Get him to the vet. A corneal abrasion if not treated can cause permanent loss of sight in addition to being very painful. A vet can diagnose the abrasion and give you medications to control pain and inflammation. The squinting is very symptomatic of corneal damage. Left to heal on hits own it can lead to scarring that obscures vision.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We just got back. No corneal abrasion, which is good news. She could not get a good look at the back of the eye because it is so constricted, even when she tried to dilate it. The opposite eye is excessively large...but she thinks it is strictly eye trauma and no brain trauma otherwise. He may have some vision loss, but it shouldn't be terribly dramatic. Glad we took him in.

Now he's a little drunk puppy who falls asleep standing up... lol But he's gonna be ok.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well if he's responding to cheese wrappers and the word ball, he's doing pretty well. lol

Poor lil guy. Glad you took him in to be checked out. Head injuries can be more serious than they appear sometimes. Hope he feels better soon.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
There's a good chance cheese wrappers and the word "ball" could bring thise dog back from the dead...he's obsessed. We call him Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Its all about the ball...

He definitely has damage to his left eye, but with the medications, she thinks it won't be too bad. Now that he's on pain medications, he doesn't keep it closed all the time, so you can see it. His pupils are still drastically different this morning, tho, and he looks really strange. One is huge and the other is normal to slightly small. Poor lil' fella. It was a long night. We were supposed to watch for the other neuro sx, of course, but she'd given him a pretty hefty dose of pain medication, so discerning what stumbling was drug induced and what was possibly something more was a bit challenging. lol

He's still slow this morning, but he was up and about and ready to take on the day. And didn't argue about his medications.