Doggie Question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Betsy is a bit odd in the paw department. Playing outside, even for up to 10 hours a day, does NOT wear her claws down. At all. I don't understand it as this is not an issue with either Rowdy or Molly.

Ok......that's just odd, and not really the problem. lol

Her claws can get you...sharp things even after clipping and filing. BUT her pads are rough and so scratchy that even if she just puts her paw on you, if it's an area of bare skin it hurts. I'm wondering if this hurts her? She doesn't act like it. But it sure does us.

Any suggestions? I've never run in to this issue with any other dog, and I've had many of them over the years.

Again, Rowdy and Molly don't have this problem. Just Betsy. Even her mother didn't have this issue.........although she did have the claw thing where they don't wear down.

Like I said, doesn't seem to bother her....but it is uncomfortable for us, cuz she likes to put her paw on you when you pet and love on her.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hmmm.. short of dragging her along behind the car a few times around the block... does she get any time on concrete or some other hard surface? That could help wear them down.

flutterby

Fly away!
I've had dogs with pads on their feet like that. I never thought anything of it. Will be interesting to see what others have experienced and done.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Udder Balm rubbed into her paws will help soften them some. Find it at farm supply stores and some walmarts.

nvts

Hey Lisa! I hopped around on the web and found a billion sites that basically said don't mess with them. Aparently, if you soften them, it'll cause damage to the pads and cause the nerves in them to become exposed.

One woman spoke about having the same issue and she put socks on the dog when it came in!

I will also mention that she read "somewhere" that rough, cracking pads could indicate that the dog isn't getting enough fat in its diet.

Good luck!

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
Udder Balm is certainly useful for this. The lab we had as I grew up with had this problem. Nothing would wear her nails down. And the pads themselves would get so rough and scratchy that in winter they would bleed.

I had really great luck with ointments that would create a barrier between the dog and the world on the pads. Plain petroleum jelly works fine. If there are ANY signs of cracks in her pads then put a VERY thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment on them. It is esp good if you can rub it in for a minute or so and then put another ointment over it.

A friend of mine has a mutt with this problem and I started taking over 100% pure shea butter and it was hugely better than udder balm or vaseline. It seems to melt in better and be more healing. I get it from ebay. NOT the body butters in stores, I am talking about 100% pure shea butter.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, this dog eats hamburgers, fries.........the works. lol So I'm guessing fat in her diet isn't an issue. ;)

I'll have to try some of these. I doubt Betsy would go for the socks, even if she does love to dress up. :rofl:

They aren't cracked yet......but not far from it. So I need to do something before they crack and bleed.

Hmmm, yup. She gets plenty of time on concrete. I've got a huge concrete patio she plays on much of the time she's outside. This dog runs alot when outside, which is why I can't figure out the nails.

Hopefully one of these will work. I won't use it constantly, just until they aren't so darn scratchy and are the way they should feel.

Thanks. Knew I could count on you guys. :)

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think a spa day with a pawdi-pedi would be useful -

I would take her to the vets BECAUSE some dogs' veins & nerves grow longer from NOT being cut and thus causing stress when you DO cut them. You can't really tell about nerves just from looking at them. The crush of a dull nail clipper can add to the pain. New clippers or sharpened clippers help but if you cut the nerves it's very painful and crippling.

I would have a vet check her nails NOW - becuase they could put her to sleep and do all the nails at once and shorten them up to a manageable length. Our vet said there is pain when the nerves have grown down - but he did this with our biggest kid - and now his nails stay shorter and he doesn't cry when they are cut. I don't know if by doing it they cut the nerves back or what - but his nails since have not caused him pain to cut.
I'm sure the vet cauterized them as he cut and they bled - I did'nt ask.

As far as the roughness of the pads - LEAVE THEM BE. Unless they crack and bleed? LEAVE THEM BE. If they do crack and bleed - contact your vet as your furkid will need some antibiotic ointment and socks so he won't lick it off and to be caged for a while so the ointment soaks in.

She may - have an allergy to carpeting - she May just lick her paws a lot. But best thought - if they are not cracked - leave them alone and teach her to keep paws on the floor.

Hugs to your furbaby.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hmmm.. short of dragging her along behind the car a few times around the block... does she get any time on concrete or some other hard surface? That could help wear them down.

I can't stop laughing. And you are mother of the year????

Actually, I had a beagle many years ago that would contstantly dig deep holes in my yard. I used to tie that darn dog up to my bike and go biking for hours trying to wear him out. No use. He just went back to digging.