Donating

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've had to sort out my stockpile shelves because currently I have bags of stuff sitting in the corner of my dining room waiting for place to put it.

Months ago I bought fixodent both the adhesive and the denture cleanser for husband for nearly free, some of it was free.......I have quite a bit of it. I don't use either, won't use either. So there is no use in it just sitting here. And I thought of the homeless shelter..... I'm sure there are people passing through there that could make use of it and be glad to have it.

Also in the family room stored in a corner is still a case of ban deodorant (from husband's last job they gave the stuff away all the time). I hate ban deodorant with a passion. And even in a pinch won't use it because for me it's the same as wearing nothing at all. Was thinking about donating that too.

But would that be just too weird to donate? I dunno what else to do with the stuff.

DammitJanet

No...they need it too. I also wonder about prisons or county jails. Maybe call them too. I was thinking about that last night with all those books. I wonder if your local jail would take those books. Inmates sure could use something to read.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hound--

Call a local nursing home....I'm sure they would LOVE to get their hands on that stuff....

Also, check out retirement homes for religious (homes for elderly nuns) - they typically have very small budgets and nuns have few family members that visit and bring supplies.

donna723

Lisa, if you have a domestic violence shelter in your area, I'm sure they would be happy to have anything you could donate.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good ideas. :) I'll check into them. Especially the jail with the books, now I'd have never thought of that. sister in law's dad works for the nearby prison as a guard, I can have him ask and see if they'd take such a donation.

And I dunno why the dv shelter slipped my mind. I like to try to do them first only because they're often forgotten.

DammitJanet

I know when Cory was in one jail I was allowed to take him books. One I wasnt but then I know that one had a library so I have no idea where they got the books. Cory said it was really meager with just a few old torn up books. Maybe people had donated them to the police or guards who didnt have anyone in there.

donna723

Lisa, if it's a State prison, they probably can't take the books or anyother donations. I know the one I worked for couldn't. As with everything else with the State, there are hundreds of rules and regulations and approvals required for anything to be donated ... way too much paperwork involved. We got the books that public libraries and school libraries were discarding and actually our library was pretty well stocked. A city or county jail might be able to accept them though. They don't have nearly as many rules as the State does and could probably really use the books.

DammitJanet

thats why I suggested local jail...much less rules and could probably go through a Chaplin or someone to take in or even the library women who bring used books in.

DDD

Truthfully I suggest that you donate everything you have to a major charity and make it easy on yourself. Goodwill, Salvation Army and Habitat For Humanity all accept bulk donations and then go thru the items to see what they can sell and what they can pass on to others. You have had so much stress for so long that one clean sweep (and subsequent ones if necessary) will ease your mind and allow you to move on. Each of the ideas presented are great but more complicated and time consuming. Make yourself the priority and know that you are helping others at the same time.

by the way, I kinda have been there done that when my Dad passed away. He had some very expensive jackets, for example, and I had a hard time just giving them away. I know it sounds silly but I actually had dreams about seedy vagrants wearing his clothes and especially his gorgeous hats. Finally I accepted the fact that I had to let it all go to one place. Once a little time passed I felt better knowing that the charitable organization was reputable and would benefit. I think there is a closure issue that creeps into the decision making process. Hugs. DDD

donna723

Well, technically the State can accept donations but the volumes of rules and policies are more set up for donations of land and real estate, things like that. Occasionally people do that to get out from under a piece of real estate that they can't use and don't want to pay taxes on any more. The regulations are more set up for something like that than they are for relatively small donations to go to just one institution. It would take months just for the paperwork and approval process to go through but jails aren't under all those restrictions.

DammitJanet

Ok maybe it wasnt such a good suggestion. Nursing homes might be better. I have done that before with old magazines and books. Have no idea if the residents can still read or not but they accepted them.

H

HaoZi

Group homes, halfway homes, even local food pantries might also be able to use them. I know our local food bank accepts toiletries and whatnot, and some of the local churches collect it to give them because it's difficult for a lot of people to drop it off during the hours its actually open.

TerryJ2

by the way, the church I used to go to had Undie Sunday, and we all brought in brand new underwear, male and female, and bras. One of those things you never think of with-people in need. :) To "advertise" for it, board members got up in front of the congregation in their underwear. Mostly, the men. It got a lot of laughs. And no one EVER forgot to donate! :)

InsaneCdn

Ok maybe it wasnt such a good suggestion. Nursing homes might be better. I have done that before with old magazines and books. Have no idea if the residents can still read or not but they accepted them.

One of the volunteer jobs in nursing homes is... reading to residents. So, whether they can read or not, they are still useful. And... staff also read on breaks, and lots of the staff aren't that well paid (the LPNs and RNs are relatively better paid)... so they appreciate the access also.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, as for giving them to different places, I don't mind too much. It's not like I'm uber busy or anything. I'd just like them to go where they're really be appreciated and used.

Our food pantry is a bit tough to donate to, they're open odd days and even odder hours, and I have issues remembering their schedule. But I'll call around to some of these other places and check. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa - nursing homes are a great idea - esp for the fixodent etc.

On the deodorant - you may want to check the expiration date... I got hold of some expired stuff once and WHEW did it reek.

County jails always need books, but of course the subject matter, matters. (husband said in 2009 when he was at the jail for 3 days because of the judge's nuttiness, their books were sadly in need of HELP.)

One thing in my neck of the woods, the women's shelters (DV) do get remembered, the men's (homeless mostly) not so much. Just a thought.