Donna? Are you okay in TN?

donna723

I'm still here. Thanks for asking, TM.

It just WILL NOT stop raining! And it's raining HARD! We've had tornado warnings several times but haven't lost power yet. I haven't ventured any further than the grocery store a block away. My house is located on a street that slopes so the water runs down but my front yard looks like a lake. I'm not sure at all if I can get to work tomorrow because of the flooding everywhere. The town sits right on a river and in places the road I take to work runs right next to the river. After all this, I can't imagine that is HASN'T gone over the road in places.

We haven't had it as bad here as in some places. I have a friend who lives two counties away and they have had roads wash out and collapse and trees falling down everywhere. The flooding was really bad in some places yesterday and there has been so much more rain since then, I can't imagine how bad it must be by now! My son said a retaining wall by a 70-acre lake in Jackson, TN broke and caused massive flooding there. And they have closed down I-24 in Nashville because it flooded so badly that water was up to the rooftops of cars on the road! They showed a mobile home that was being transported and it was breaking up and the pieces were floating down the road! Five people have died so far. And even when it stops, the water will continue to rise for a few days. I'm fine where I am but a lot of people aren't so lucky. Prayers won't hurt!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
As I was driving south today I drove thru Nashville, TN on I-65. At one point the southbound lane went down to one lane (on an eight lane highway), and the northbound lanes were totally inundated with two cars floating on the highway........ the cops were blocking off the traffic and diverting them. It was still raining heavily as I passed thru, so hope there is a break in the weather for the flash flood area. On several ramps to get off you looked down the ramp and there was no road, just water! My heart goes out to anyone who has been flooded........

donna723

The rain is supposed to stop tonight some time. But the worst part is that the flood waters will continue to rise for the next few days before they start to go down. I ventured out today and while the river had come up into the fields by the road, it still has a way to go before it actually comes up on to the road itself. Where I work is two counties over from where I live and they were saying that the whole county is without power and all the roads in or out are closed! My son said that they evacuated the Walmart in the town where he lives. And I've gotten automated calls from the 911 system in my county saying that people should stay off the roads unless it was an 'extreme emergency'. And I don't think that me going to work tomorrow would be considered an 'extreme emergency'! I'm hoping they will close State offices tomorrow - they said that the employee parking lots for the State office buildings in downtown Nashville were under 4-5 ft. of water! I've lived here for 26 years and I have NEVER seen it like this! What a mess!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow!

husband says that parts of cincy are flooded? It is pouring here and has been all night and all day. Makes me wonder how my drive to school will be tomorrow morning. School is south of me by 30 miles. Lots of dips, low land to drive through. And ours isn't supposed to stop for a while yet.:(

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Hound, please be sure to check road conditions and don't drive thru any water that you don't know the depth of.......... I always thought driving a big Suburban I would not have to worry about water, but watched a show on floods and they said that what happens is the tires act as flotation and you lose the ability to steer, so can can end up anywhere the water is flowing........ call ahead to find out! Stay safe.

klmno

I'm glad to see you're ok and haven't lost power. I hope it stops raining there soon- but I don't want it coming here!

donna723

Yeah, Lisa, if you're getting what we've had, I 'd be extremely careful too! Those flash floods can happen so quickly. They've been saying on the news that some people parked their cars, went in to a store for ten mintues, and when they came out their cars were in water up to the windows! I'm afraid of the more rural roads too. What they've been saying here is that they've gotten so many calls and the emergency workers have been stretched so thin, if you get in to trouble your call to 911 may not even get through. Or if the call does get through, it may be a very long time before they can help you, and they may not even be able to get to where you are! Please be very, very careful.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Definately going to check the news before I head out in the morning. Rain is going to stay all night and supposed to get even more severe. UGH We're fine here where I live, town is basically on a hill...hence the name lol

Still pouring outside. Molly just got soaked in a mad dash to potty. sigh

tiredmommy

I'm concerned about Duckie's teacher. She was supposed to run in a half marathon in Cincinnati today. I assume she stayed over tonight and will either be driving or flying out tomorrow. :faint: