Donna, my new puppy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Donna, you asked about my new addition. Thank you. When Honeysue was put down, Cowboy and I just didn't seem complete without her. Even doing our trail walks lost their luster. CB wouldn't move from the truck and I didn't have much heart.
Soooooo, I was looking for a female. Ended up falling in love with a male who had been found in a pound by a woman from Lab Rescue in Cincinatti. She nursed him back to health(pneumonia and kennel cough) He is thin, bony with very thin fur. He is however a pyr. Their calm demeanor suits us. Mr.Darcy is perking up. I'm not sure if he isn't a mix but at this point we don't care. He is as sweet as sugar. I'm working hard at giving him the right kind of calories and exercise. He isn't quite done learning his manners as far as leash walking and to not pull when he sees something interesting(like rabbits). CB is slowly teaching him. It's adorable to see Darcy mimic CB. He does want to play but CB isn't having any of it. I must say that it upped CB's game. He is definitely perking up and trying to compete in the male superiority game. He seems to be grudgingly accepting.

In the end, I am looking for a female to keep Darcy company about the same age. Local rescue has 2 females coming in on Wed. so I may find my Elizabeth(Lizzie) for our Darcy. We will then have 3 with Cowboy being the patriarch. Can you see husband rolling his eyes? He does really enjoy them though. Lots of vacuuming and grooming.
I don't think I will ever get over the loss of HoneySue. I really am not an overly sentimental person but I can't seem to bridge that raw spot yet. I know you understand Donna. Life keeps me busy but if someone unexpectedly mentions HS, I can't help but feel emotional.

Mr. Darcy, is a gangly, skinny, scrawny sweetheart. He may grow a little bigger and grow the fur his brother has. Cowboy was a sad sack when we got him. Now he is a 125lb magnificent beast who is a wonderful companion. He isn't playful but he is loyal and is very close to my leg almost all the time.

How are your puppies?

Not sure if I know how to do this thing with photo's.

lovemysons

Aw, your Darcy and Cowboy are beautiful dogs...they are pretty lucky animals to have you for a mamma.

I understand that special place in your heart you hold for your HoneySue...I had a "Heidi" part australian shepherd/mix that was just as sweet as they come and very smart too. I trained her to sit and shake hands when I was only 17...and it wasn't that I was the Best trainer in the world, lol...it was moreso that she was such a smart, sweet...patient dog. And...She is part of my children's young years. Often featured in pics from when the kids were young and innocent. I have such fond memories of her and the kids.
She passed away at around age 13 and then we got Hunter and Apache.
I still miss my Heidi...

Hoping your Cowboy, Darcy and Lizzie have many, many, fun filled years together. and I'll bet you DO do alot of vacuuming, lol.

Tammy

donna723

Fran, your dogs are gorgeous! I am so glad that you got another pup, and that you got him through rescue. And now you'll be able to watch Darcy grow and blossom with all that TLC you're giving him. And I think it's a very good idea to get another younger one too. That way they can both learn the ropes from Cowboy and Darcy will have a playmate. I can imagine that Cowboy was very lonely to suddenly find himself an "only child".

And I DO understand exactly how painful it is to lose one that you loved so much. I lost my first Boston, my sweet little Ms. Rudy, five years ago and I still get very emotional about it sometimes. She had been my constant companion for thirteen years, the one that grew up with my kids, and the one that was right by my side during some very hard times. She had survived breast cancer and a heart problem over the years, but in the end, she just sort of wound down like a clock. She died just a week before my daughters out-of-state wedding and it helped a little that we had so much going on at the time, but it really did hit me hard. The memories of her are still bitter/sweet but now I find myself more laughing to remember her antics and mischevious personality.

I had gotten my second Boston, Ragan, when Rudy was eleven, so she was two when Rudy died and she missed her terribly. Ragan has a completely different personality than Rudy, very much her own little 'person', an individual in her own right, and I adore her! She's almost seven now, still bouncing off the wall with energy, still teasing and bratty. Then almost three years ago my little Ms. Katy came in to my life, a funny, chubby, toy-obsessed, constantly smiling girl, the friendliest dog on the planet! Katy is the one in my avatar. Katy is so scary-smart she amazes me sometimes and so goofy, she keeps me laughing. She will look me right in the eye and I can just see the intelligence burning in there - you can almost hear the little wheels turning! And now I don't know how I ever got along without her! Each one has been such a little individual. One dog will never 'replace' another but each one brings their own little gifts to the relationship and is loved and cherished in their own right.

And my girls are doing just fine - thanks for asking. They've gotten over the 'trauma' of being boarded while I was in South Carolina for a week visiting the new baby. They 'board' at the home of the vet tech from their doctors office, the one I got Katy and Ragan from, so they suffered the 'trauma' of being constantly babied and played with for a week, running free in an outdoor exercise pen, and eating the $2 a can dog food I bought them to ease the pain! A funny thing ... Ragan had been using a smaller crate than the one Katy has and I had been meaning to buy her a bigger one for a long time, so yesterday I finally did it. I put it together, put her regular bedding in it, then put her in to let her try it out. She whined, she cried, she practically screamed! She must have associated the strange crate with being boarded and thought she was being shipped off again! So we talked and I explained to her that she wasn't going anywhere, this was her new bigger bedroom! A little bigger than Katy's even! Once she understood that it was hers, she was fine with it and she even goes in on her own now to nap, something she never did before with the smaller one! So now Katy is jealous, which suits Ragan just fine!

Last edited:

witzend

They're beautiful, Fran. When we brought Mandy home as companion to Bubba, he was totally unimpressed by her desire to play. There was some territorial stuff going on, but we could tell it was only Bubba being curmudgeonly. Now they play tug of war with the rope toy together. That's a game each of them would play with us but no one else. They sleep together in the same bed from time to time, they lay out in the sun and chase each other in the yard. Of course, Mandy's two and Bubba's twelve, so they don't do as much chasing as Mandy would like! But they're good friends. So much so that we realize that our idea of having Mandy be our dog when Bubba goes wasn't quite it. We will need another dog to keep her company. I'm thinking goldendoodle...

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks everyone. They are more beautiful on the inside than the outside but they do have minds of their own.
Maybe we should start a forum for animal lovers. LOL.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
They are so sweet and beautiful. K and N's best friends have a pup, Mickey and she is just an adorable ball of fur. She comes to pick up her "kids" everyday from from School. We get to have some love!

Their Grandparents breed them out in Texas. She had her first shave last week and hit the mud as soon as she got home! LOL

BusynMember

OMG, Fran, what gorgeous dogs!
I should check the Watercooler more often. I *LOVE* puppies (I call all dogs puppies) and I can see there are a lot of others like me here. I'm a little shy about posting on the Watercooler.
Fran, those dogs look so sweet and smart!!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Fran,
Your pups are beautiful! They would be so much fun to walk! It should be very interesting when you have three:)

Lothlorien

Gorgeous. I love Pyrs. Life will be interesting in the Fran house when the new pup comes. It takes a special person to take on three big pups, like that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Mr. Darcy looks just like - Mr. Darcy - lol

COWBOY - YOU ARE A HUNK MAN!!!!!!!!! What a monster dog! I mean LOOK at him - WOW. And those extra toes - cute cute cute.....:tongue: