Don't some of you have ?? invisible fences for your dogs?

DDD

difficult child's new house is in an area that appears to be fenceless. They have two dogs and are discussing getting the invisible fence system. I'm proud of me, lol, because I'm trying to stay in the "backseat" on their decisions but...seems like a few years ago some of you said negative things about those installations. Figured I'd ask for input from those who know. DDD

StressedM0mma

We have an invisible fence for our 2 dogs. It is great as long as you do not have to worry about other dogs coming into your yard. Or someone wanting to steal your dog. I also never use mine for extended times. My guys may be out there 15-20 minutes tops. And i am always on the first floor while they are outside incase I need to get to them.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ours is on 24/7 and Bubbles does great till his collar battery dies and he figures it out.

Now if it would just shock the snot out of the little terrier next door that pees and poos all over my DECK and GARAGE...

FlowerGarden

My friend has one. The collar battery can be an issue. Their dog will take off as soon as she figures it out. They've had the problem of delivery people and meter readers getting spooked by their dog running at them. The dog has gotten maced a couple of times. The wires have gotten disconnected by animals digging and burrowing.

BusynMember

I was going to buy an invisible fence for my dogs because we have a large yard and no fence and this is rental property...not going to put up a fence nor could we without consulting the landlord. The reason we didn't do it is because so many people told me it didn't really work that well...

I wish your son luck. I was very frustrated with the feedback I got from others about the wireless fence. I thought I'd found a great solution (sigh).

TerryJ2

Invisible Fencing works as long as you are prepared to spend hours training your dogs. They really do work.
However, I would suggest NOT getting Invisible Fencing with-large breeds such as Great Pyrenees or sighthounds like greyhounds or Borzoi. It's just not worth the hassle that type of breed will give you.
I had Inv Fence yrs ago when we had Borzoi. I had to use it PLUS a regular fence, since they could easily leap a 4-ft fence.

Also, I second the comment about other dogs coming in. Large dogs can corner smaller dogs or less aggressive dogs. In our case, it was the reverse, in that the neighbor's tiny King Charles Cavalier Spaniel came into our yard and one of my Borzoi nearly killed it. I had repeatedly told the neighbors to use more than a thin string, and that their dog had repeatedly taunted my dogs, which viewed their dog as a snack. The owners refused to listen. It was an ugly scene.

In general, I LIKE Invis Fence. Just be prepared for some work. :)

InsaneCdn

We've never really understood the need for fence - in terms of keeping our furbabies "in". (keeping other stuff out... is a much bigger problem).

We never, ever "let the dogs out".

We take them. Every single time. It is always an adventure, always a part of their routine. They love it - and they know nothing else. Someone could drive a semi through our fence tonight, and it wouldn't change our furbabies lives at all. They've never been fenced in, although if we are working outside the fence, they do stay on a long-lead (tied to a railing or other major tie-down... we've used the bumper for lack of other things!) while we are out there with them. One loves to chase rabbits, the other chases cats... and they can see "it" far sooner than we can... we learned the hard way once.

It's an alternative approach to being "free" in the back yard. It avoids having your pet stolen, removes run-ins with mail-carriers and meter readers, and reduces the likelyhood of false accusations (your dog dug up my favorite rose-bush...)

LittleDudesMom

I used an electric fence for one of my dogs very successfully and loved it, but not every breed is a good fit for the electric fence. Check into that first. My last dog, Spot the Jack Russell, was not trainable to the elec fence because they are "scent dogs" and no elec fence will keep them in - I think any kind of terrier is not a good fit if I remember correctly. The training time also depends on the breed and the indiv dog.

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The actual Invisible Fence is buried and permanent, so it wouldn't be good for a rental, either...

Ktllc

I have years of experience with different kinds of invisible fence.
We started with a wireless one (no buried wire) and LOVED it. It's simple and portable. The limit: it only make a perfect circle, although you can adjust the diameter.
Then when we moved to NC, we bought a cheap walmart system and new collars. It was a nightmare! The wire was so thin, it would break all the time. Or the connection was bad some place and could not find a break, etc...
So we are back using our wireless system. But since we want more flexibility, I actually just called the invisible fence brand (they do all the instal and the product is top quality and excellent warranties). It is pricey, but we'll go ahead and do it. To give you an idea, it will be almost $2000 for 3 dogs, 1 acre and some additional transmitter to restrict access to my flowers beds, labor included.
The wireless was about $250 for the transmitter and you can get the collars on ebay for about $120 each (if I remember correctly! it's been a while). If you buy an extra transmitter, the 2 can work together to create a bigger area that would look like 2 merged circles.
Good shopping to you son!

Andy

Our neighbor has an invisible barrier that does not include installation of a fence. It is based on distance from the master devise. Their dog can only go so far from the main devise.

One thing to keep in mind when setting up these types of barriers is that some dogs get so fearful of crossing the line that receiving permission to go on a walk with you can be confusing. Train them that if they have the leash on then they can safely leave the yard.

witzend

Andy, that "distance from the transmitter" one sounds interesting. I may look into that. Our neighbor has a dog that they take out and he stays in the yard, and sometimes goes into the woods around their house, but he never runs off. My dogs are off like a shot when I open the door. It scares me to death that they're going to get to the big road and get run over and makes having visitors stressful for me which gets them stressed out. It's a nightmare.

Andy

We did something with Chewy that I just KNOW I will get criticized for but it worked for us. Chewy is a runner as in RUNNER! She also turned her ears off while running and would not return when called. She had to be tied up when outside even with us or she would be down the lakeshore or toward a busy road. We did not want to do the fence because we take her for walks daily and it would be too confusing to her why she could leave sometimes but not others. difficult child does not put a leash on her when he walks her. She also needed to stay closer while at our farm property where we would not be able to fence and where her sister chased a car and lost.

We have always taken the positive routes in all her training. Our own dog whisperer told us that we let her get away with much more then he would have allowed but admitted he was glad we took the route we did with patience and positive reinforcement.

So, we have this dog who we love that will not come when called and is putting herself in danger with her running. After trying everything possible, We made the very hard decision to get a shock collar. It is the kind with a pager and then we can set it as low as we want to slowly work up to get her attention. Our friend was just as hesitant as we were. He came over to see if we could figure out a training program without using the collar. He took her regular collar off and she bolted. He witnessed what we were up against and then agreed we would need to go this route to keep her safe. We use it ONLY to set boundaries and nothing else. After taking over 1/2 hour to catch her, we put on the collar. Our friend worked with difficult child to practice calling Chewy and giving her treats as she came. As soon as she got a chance, she bolted. difficult child paged her (vibration) and when that didn't work, then shocked her. She did not like that and came running to me.

Our friend also recommended that difficult child spend a lot of quality fun time with Chewy which he does. Chewy wore the collar for about a few months but only needed one or two more reminders to come when called. She has since then stayed close by without the shock collar on. The neighbors have also noticed and mentioned how better behaved Chewy is. Chewy can now be outside without being tied up and without the shock collar.

We have not abused her and would never use the collar for any training except setting boundaries. difficult child can now spend time playing with her outside without her bolting. She can also be out at the farm without the fear of getting lost in the woods or chasing cars on the road.

I would not recommend using a shock collar under any other circumstances. No need to critize because it really was needed in this situation to keep Chewy safe and allow her to run within limits. Yes, I know all about the negatives. That is why it was not an easy decision. We had pushed it aside as a non-option until nothing else worked. Chewy is still happy and healthy and comes now when called. She loves to be outdoors and run without being tied up. We did what needed to be done for her. I think a very important ingredient is that she gets so much positive time with us and this is so seldom needed that she is not living in fear of misbehaving wondering when and if a shock will come. She knows she is safe and loved.

My disclaimer:

Before getting a shock collar, I would recommend hesitating, hesitating, and hesitating more, try EVERYTHING else, talk to some one who knows how your breed of dog may behave with a shock collar, and really really really think about what is best for your dog. Just because it worked for Chewy doesn't mean it will work the same for another dog. Chewy defies logic in that she still behaves without the collar on. Most dogs will start misbehaving as soon as they get the collar off as they know the collar is what is shocking them. We were at the point that we were ready to put the collar on her everytime she went outside. We are super lucky she continues to behave without it and are on the lookout for a time she decides she can bolt again. Never over use the collar. It is not a training devise to teach tricks or potty training or to keep off furniture. It should not be used on puppies. To use it in setting boundaries, you do have to be outdoors and watching where the dog is. difficult child lets Chewy go halfway into the neighbors yard before calling her. The neighbor with the wireless fence have their dog also going halfway into either neighbors yard. We have great understanding neighbors otherwise it would not be allowed.

TerryJ2

Andy,
yes, that's a good point about training the dog to go on a walk; it is best not to use the same entrance. We used the back yard for Invis Fence, and the front door to go for walks, so there was no training involved in that part.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Andy, the Invisible Fence we have... Has a shock collar.

Bubbles is very well trained though - he hears the beep or something like it (the microwave apparently sounds like it - rather funny to watch) - and he knows where the boundaries are. The installer/trainer was amazed at how fast our mutt learned... And it's more like a slight tingle. I insisted on trying it.

The people across the street had a dog that apparently had no brains and no pain threshold at all. Or a very high one! They could not train him, and he would charge through their invisible fence (they installed it after they lost THREE dogs, and Onyxx found the last one, it had been hit by a car... UGH). Well, this dumb dog had the collar on the highest setting and still would STAND at the boundary letting it shock him. Over time it burnt hair and skin. They finally got rid of him when he dragged their younger son into the pool.

Andy

I would think fence have shock collars involved but I know lots of people who are horrified that we chose the non-fence collar. A cousin sent me an article from Its Me or the Dog showing how the collar was misused on a puppy and traumatized the poor thing. She was concerned that we were using one. For some reason people think invisible fences are good but the shock collar controlled by a human is not. I think because people have the ability to shock whenever/wherever.

if we didn't have our other property to consider with too much land to set up a "fence", we thought about setting up the back yard with a "fence". However, I wanted Chewy to have more space then a fence would allow. She does need space to run her zoomies out. We wanted her to be able to follow difficult child from the front yard into the back yard. We have a large yard. He often times takes a cart of brush from the front yard to edge of the back yard.

InsaneCdn

Andy,
yes, that's a good point about training the dog to go on a walk; it is best not to use the same entrance. We used the back yard for Invis Fence, and the front door to go for walks, so there was no training involved in that part.

Terry? Sure there was training involved. You had to train the humans! <grin>

At our last house we had a system similar to the one Andy described her neighbor as having - No fence involved, just an invisible barrier with the master device in our garage. We trained our favorite sanity saver from the beginning that as long as she had a leash on, it was safe to leave the yard. We didn't have any problems with her being afraid to go on walks with us.

The system worked great for keeping her in the yard as long as the batteries were good. There was a very low beeping sound transmitted from her collar when they began to drop dead. If my favorite sanity saver heard this sound before we did, she would take baby steps down the side of the hill closest to her best friend's house, a German Sheppard. She knew that when she heard this sound, she could safely cross over into her yard. Just to make sure, she always took those baby steps before running to great her. Our neighbors' had the same kind of system for their German Sheppard.

The main drawback besides our favorite sanity saver being smart enough to realize that the beeping sound meant freedom, is that every other animal in the neighborhood could come into our yard. We had one neighbor who had a dog who loved to travel all over the place, hated other dogs, and would try to attack them in their own yards. Long story made short, this neighbor learned that she had to keep her dog in her own yard if she was going to be able to keep her at all.

Even with these issues, we liked having the invisible barrier because our dog never roamed past the German Shepard's yard when the batteries died. She isn't too adventurous and always preferred to stick close to home. Although keeping other animals out of the yard could be an issue, when our dog was outside, we always kept an eye on her from inside. It was nice being able to let her go out on her own in nasty weather. I really miss this now, especially when it's super cold or pouring out!

If I could, I would install this sort of system where we are now. SFR

Fran

Former desparate mom
We have an invisible fence but my first two pyrs were smarter than us. When we put the collar on they refused to get off the patio even with enticement like chicken. They must have had a negative experience with electric fencing on the farm they were fostered. I ended up fencing the yard for their safety and my sanity.
Pyr rescue groups will not adopt a pyr out if you have invisible fencing. Pyrs are roamers and will not care about the invisible fence.

I saw a dog with a shock collar and I absolutely won't use it. The dog responded the first 3 or 4 times and then turned absolutely vicious for the first time in his life. It's not anything I would put on a dog especially a rescue.

Andy

That is why we really hesitated. We did the home work and asked our professional for advise and to train us on the proper use. It can easily be abused and that scared us. Shock collars have a purpose and must be used properly. There are still no guarantees as to how it will effect the dog. Our dog whisperer warned us that Chewy may get rebellious when the collar is off. She is smart enough to get back at us for using it.

He also emphasized the importance in increasing the positive attention given as well as very minimal use of the collar. If Chewy kept pushing the limits, instead of receiving more and more shocks, she is removed from the area. She would be taken inside and try again later.

I truly believe this worked for us because of the positive attention difficult child gives Chewy. She does not fear going outside or not knowing her boundaries. Each dog is different and the neighbor's dog seems so depressed and unhappy all the time. I never see the kids play with him.

Too many people think that is the easy answer but it does not work that way.