Don't worry, family. I'm OK.

Estherfromjerusalem

There was a very nasty terrorist attack today in Jerusalem. A terrorist who was working on road works, driving a heavy bulldozer, drove it like crazy, very fast, into several cars, and into a full bus, overturning it deliberately. He was killed by a by-standing soldier on leave and police special unit men, while he was driving and running over more cars. In the last car, a young woman was killed and her baby was pulled out alive from the car. Altogether three people were murdered and over 50 injured. I was at work at the newspaper when it happened, so saw it all on TV there.

It's awful. I feel devastated. So much hate. People's lives ruined.

I won't go on -- it will become political and religious. Suffice it to say that I am disgusted and angry.

The last terrorist attack happened at the end of my road, when 8 students were killed by a terrorist, and I heard the shots. That was 3 months ago.

Just thought I would let you all -- my family -- know that I am OK.

Among the injured in the hospital -- 2 babies of 2 years old. No parents have yet come to claim them. What can I say?

Love, Esther

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Glad to hear you are okay, keeping the victims in my thoughts........I can't imagine living with so much fear and hatred......hoping you can find peace in your part of the world.........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, Esther! Such a tragic waste. Sending prayers.

Thanks for letting us know you and yours are ok.

((((hugs))))

Marguerite

I'm glad you are OK, Esther. I feel so awful for the victims.

A TV program we had a few nights ago gave us a glimpse into the mind and motivation of a terrorist. It was really upsetting, because in so many cases they are totally brainwashed into justifying what they do. I've also heard reports of intellectually disabled people, especially young women, being loaded with explosives and detonated as disposable walking bombs - probably totally unaware of what their fate is to be. The people who recruit, train and send in those suicide bombers - I just can't express how I feel about such awful treatment of not only their intended victims, but the people they use as weapons. How can you ever reach such people, to make it all stop?

I am very glad your police and security personnel were alert and responded so effectively, so quickly.

I cannot fathom what it must be like to live with not just the fear of this, but the reality.

Marg

scent of cedar

Esther, that's horrifying. It must take more courage than I can imagine just to get through the days, the normal routines of your lives.

I am glad the terrorist was killed.

Thank you, Esther, for letting us know you have survived everything thus far.

I always think of you, whenever I see a news program about the terrorist attacks happening anywhere in the world.

You are my human face, the real person I know, whose life and whose family are endangered.

It is difficult to envision the tragedy of these events when the stories are sandwiched between the upcoming election, the latest movie star marriage or divorce, and the commercials. When you post, these things I have seen sandwiched between one thing and the next take on a weight and reality they did not have before.

The horror of it seems more real.

I am glad to know that you and yours are alright, Esther.

Thank you for posting to us.

Barbara

Estherfromjerusalem

Thank you for your replies. I still haven't calmed down.

Allen (Matlem) phoned me just before -- one of the women killed in her car was a good friend of his wife, and they are going to the funeral this evening.

The heroic soldier on leave (only 18 years old, and only four months in the army) who managed to kill the terrorist lives just up the road from me and my children know him!

I would love to discuss the whole thing with you all, but I don't dare and I will control my fingertips on the keyboard, since I don't want to get into an argument with anyone.

But I am grateful to you all for your expressions of concern.

Love, Esther

lovemysons

Aw Esther, that is SO SAD.
So much tragedy and pain.
Thank you for checking in and letting everyone know you're okay...well, as well as can be expected. It must be very trying not knowing what will unfold next.

So sorry to Allan too, he and his wife must feel awful.

Love to you and yours,
Lovemysons

everywoman

Esther, I'm glad you are okay. You were in my thoughts when I heard the news. It is so sad that people can get so ugly over politics and religion. I don't know where in your mind the place is that says it's okay to hurt innocent people because they don't believe like you, look like you, think like you.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Esther, so glad you and your family are ok.
Murder transcends religion and politics. What a beast to hurt innocent people.
Sending my prayers and good thoughts for peace.

TerryJ2

Esther, I am so sorry about the woman who was killed.
The story showed up on AOL about 15 min. b4 you posted your note. You beat the news media. :)
I can't imagine how you live every day like that. Too close for comfort.

busywend

Esther, thank you for letting us know you are OK. I am horrified for you, for the world. It is awful. I know you are emotionally scarred by this, I can tell - and who wouldn't be. It is no way to have to live. It can happen to anyone these days.

I send you many, many hugs in the hopes that it helps you get through the days ahead.

:(

Steely

I am so glad you are safe. Please let Allan know the same.
There are no words to express the grief I feel at innocent lives being lost.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Isn't it so very odd - that hundreds of miles - thousands of miles away when I read this story this morning the first thing that came to mind was Esther.

I'm glad you are safe. I am so very sorry for the loss of lives over such ignorant things. Some days I have to ask myself if we really understand why we fight at all.

Peace unto you and your home.

Hugs & Love
Star

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
it makes my heart ache that there is so much evil in this world. Stay safe, prayers coming your way from overseas

susiestar

Roll With It
Esther,

thank you for letting us know you are OK. I am very sorry that one of Allen Matlem's wife's friends was killed. I am sorry the entire thing happened, but so thankful you and Allen and your families survived. It takes such incredible courage to survive and thrive in an area so fraught with terror. I can only imagine.

Sending hugs,

susie

donna723

Esther, like Star, I thought about you when I heard this on the news this morning and was hoping you'd check in so we'd know you were OK. I just can't imagine how horrible it must be to have all this going on so close to you. I think that sometimes we forget how very fortunate we are. So much senseless tragedy, so much hatred and violence in the world.

I will continue to keep you and yours in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Marguerite

Esther, so glad you and your family are ok.
Murder transcends religion and politics. What a beast to hurt innocent people.
Sending my prayers and good thoughts for peace.

Amen!

Please also send my condolences to Allan and his wife, for the loss of their friend.

We've had absolutely nothing on this in Australia, on the news until just now. I didn't see it, but difficult child 3 just came into the room and said that is was so sad about how people were committing these acts of terrorism in such a special place as Jerusalem.

So I have passed on your news to him in more detail, Esther, to try to help him understand the human side of the news that we see. You may be on the other side of the world to us, but when it affects our friends it is happening in our street too.

Marg