jannie

trying to survive....
This morning husband and I had plans to be out of the house for about 7 hours to attend a party for a friend from college.

Somehow as we were running around getting ready we each gave difficult child 2 his medicine; so he recieved double dosage. I stayed pretty calm and called the docs and pharmacy to make sure he would be alright; after all we were to be gone for many hours.

So instead of 20 mg of vyvanse; he has 40 mg
Instead of 125 mg lamictal; he had 250 mg

His day went well except for tics; he had them all over the place; head shaking, blowing sounds etc. I really really hope this goes away tomorrow. This is my difficult child 2 not the one with Tourette syndrome. However, unforunately for the past two weeks and about a month or so ago, we saw tics...:(This makes me very sad; There are some kids who get tics from stimulants, but don't have tourettes. There are some kids with tourettes that feel that a stimulant medication is ok; and that it doesn't really make the tics worse.

Because we have recently seen tics I have been considering eliminating the vyvanse altogether, but it has helped, which make me torn. He's been on the vyvanse since the start of 5th grade and he is just about to compelte 6th grade. He is actually on the lowest dose possible.

Has anyone had tics that come on from stimulants; but than fade away when the stimulant is taken away?

I think maybe I could use some board support to wish away these tics.

Oh and did I mention difficult child 1 threw up 3x since yesterday; you can imagine how the babysitter felt when I told him difficult child 1 is sick and difficult child 2 was just overmedicated; and the pharmacy said he be extra agitated and grumpy.

Last edited:

Andy

Sorry about the double dosage - so easy to do when you are in a hurry to get out the door. Too bad difficult child didn't remember but I suppose he just wasn't going to question a parent giving him medications.

I don't know how the medications your sons take are given. Are they in pill form? To help prevent this in the future, you can get a weekly pill dispenser for each child (should be able to get different colored ones and put their names on).

I started setting up my difficult child's medications in a week's dispenser and then every night I will put the next day's in a 3 oz dixie cup on my dresser where I can remember to give it to him by the time I am done getting dressed. If the cup is gone then I know I have given it to him.

Since your husband is always helping in dispensing, maybe putting the medications out in different colored/designed dixie cups (on an index card with the child's name on) on a counter in the kitchen the night before so it is handy for whomever gives it? (or keep in your room if there is a concern about anyone helping themselves to it?)

I am glad the docs/pharmacist said he will be o.k. How is he now? Did it work out of his system yet?

jannie

trying to survive....
Actually difficult child 2 did tell me he already took them this morning; (this was happening as he was swallowing them!) But he said it at the same time he was watching TV and doing something else. I actually didn't really believe him because husband has never ever given him his medications unless I specifically tell him to...and they are in a weekly counter; I guess I don't pay attention to the days. I just open one and empty.

You had great suggestions and I am going to keep them in mind for now on..

smallworld

Jannie, sorry for the double dosing error today. We have a rule in our house -- I dispense ALL medications unless I specifically ask husband (or another adult) to do it. Less room for error that way.

I also have a system for the morning that works very well. I bought tiny saucers with which I fill morning medications the night before and leave at the kids' places on the kitchen table. The kids take their medications while eating breakfast. If my kids go off to school and the medications are still there, I know they haven't been taken and I need to chase them down at school.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's happened to us before. We were away for the weekend with the kids, and in the chaos and confusion of getting up early to get to our destination, I accidentally gave difficult child 1 two doses of Adderall. I frantically tried to make him throw it up (boy, was that comical -- me with my finger down his throat!). When that didn't work and the motel told me they didn't have any ipecac on hand, I frantically called the psychiatrist's pager. He called me right back and said that it wasn't enough to be a huge problem. That I might notice difficult child 1 would be a little quieter that day. BOY was he ever! Didn't hear a peep out of him for 8 hours -- poor kid. He was very focused, but very introverted that day.

After that, I started using the pill boxes!

crazymama30

We have a arrangement similiar to SW, I always do the Daytrana and I do the evening pills unless I ask husband to do them. They are in a pill box. I think if we asked difficult child to take his pills more than once he would have a cow. He hates taking his pills.

I did mess up his dosages once. Gave him 300mg of Lamictal and it was supposed to be 200. Fixed it and let psychiatrist know. No harm done, but man did I feel stupid fessing up to that one.

M

ML

Janine, I'm sorry this happened!

I would like to pm you to discuss the tics if you wouldn't mind. I've posted recently about my thoughts on possible Tourette's Syndrome for manster and the GP suggested he see a neurologist. I don't know if it's part of his AS cluster of symptoms or a new diagnosis in and of itself.

Hugs,

ML

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jannie,
Wishing away those tics. I'm sorry he got a double dose. I hope difficult child 1 is feeling better today! With all the medications I give out I am surprised I haven't goofed up more. I usually get the medications ready the night before unless I'm really tired. difficult child takes 4 1/2 pills in the morning, easy child 2 1/2, and me 5. I make husband get his own. Of course, difficult child takes medications three more times in the day. Yikes!

jannie

trying to survive....
I skipped the vyvanse altogether today. Tics were still there, but better than yesterday. I am so disappointed thinking about the fact that perhaps the vyvanse could be contributing to his tics. He's been on it for 1 1/2 years at the very lowest dosage. Why would the tics start now???

I think I may need to stop it altogether, which is really disappointing as it really seems to help. I was actually thinking about increasing the dosage.

Tonight I just watched as boys boths tics their heads back and forth:anxious:

On a positive note, they both did a great job today at flag football !:D

And, they are both asleep at 9:30:redface: