Down & dirty blues......warning a whine ahead

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
get out the cheese.

Too many physical changes too quickly are getting to me. My trashed immune system has me down for the count. I went to my GP this past Friday & my cold insn't a cold - it's a double ear infection with bronchial pneumonia. I knew I didn't feel good - I blamed it on whatever is going on with my body.

The rain has GOT to stop - I cannot get out for my daily walks to build up my strength. Pretty soon I'm going to have to drive to a mall (too weird for me) to get my daily walk.

And just when I felt my energy was building, it's trashed again.

Okay, I'm done whining - appreciate the ear.

Because of the need to slow down, I've appreciated the autumn season as I haven't in many years. I sit at my kitchen island & appreciate the activity at my bird feeders; the antics of the squirrels & the many birds visiting my yard.

My nature journal is expanding quickly; I've taken up watercolor sketches. My GP has asked for a picture to hang in her office. I'm off to get my first watercolor framed as a gift for my brother & his soon to be wife (wedding gift).

As you can see, I'm really trying hard to find some positives here.

It helps...a new antidepressant may help even more.

Thanks for the ear...as always I appreciate it.

slsh

member since 1999
One word, Linda...

Moderation.

I mean, really, is a double ear infection *plus* pneumonia necessary? Wouldn't a single ear infection *or* perhaps very mild pneumonia have been enough??? :bloodshot:

Sorry, darlin' - you know (lame) humor is about all I've got to offer. I cannot even begin to imagine how disheartening this all is for you. Five weeks on my own backside and I'm more than ready to start playing with sharp instruments... you've been doing this since 7/4. The fact that you're still coherent *and* haven't caused great bodily harm to a certain doctor is quite frankly nothing short of miraculous.

on the other hand, you might possibly have found a new avocation. :painter: Your artwork is fantabulous, especially when you consider that your motor skills are probably only going to improve.

You know I'm thinking of you, frequently, and sending good thoughts. I hope you're on impressive antibiotics and... well, Linda, I just have to believe that eventually someone is going to figure out what the heck is going on with your body and will be able to start getting you on the road to recovery. :doctor: In the meantime, do what you need to do to rest and conserve.

Mega hugs to you, my friend. :flower:

busywend

I hope you get rid of those infections quick! At least with an antibiotic it has a better chance of clearing.
Glad the huimidity broke!

I love watching the birds at my sister's house. I was there yesterday and got to watch a woodpecker in action!
:thumb:

I am glad you are enjoying your new found artistic talents.

:painter:

goldenguru

You go ahead and whine. I think I'd be doing more than whining. Geesh.

Being a fellow walker I understand the frustration of not being able to get outside. Walking in the mall is OK ... but it's no substitute for being outdoors. Looks like your rain should clear out today (because we're due to get it late this afternoon) ... so hopefully you'll be able to be outdoors tomorrow.

Don't over do ... you're sick. Let yourself brew a pot of good green tea and watch an old B & W movie on the telley.

Marguerite

It's times like this that make you realise that the light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train...

Hang in there. You want an ear - of course you do, with a double ear infection.

That's the trouble sometimes, when your body is a mess - you don't notice the extra few cruddy bits, you lump it all together. I was having trouble with my feet, the doctor thought I should be checked out with a bone scan, and they found my hips in even worse state - and I hadn't even noticed. I was only expecting my feet to show up with any problems and on the scan my body was a rash of white bits everywhere. mother in law says that's from walking with crutches all these years, but I remember my doctor telling me years ago that FAILURE to use my crutches when I should, would cause my hips to give out sooner rather than later. In fact, it's all the walking I've done WITHOUT my sticks that has led to this. Of course, mother in law will use any excuse to say using walking aids is a bad thing - she desperately needs a walking stick but sees it as a disaster, to even have it suggested to her. Only OLD people use a stick!

Linda, keep upright and active, to the best of your ability. It helped me, when I got pneumonia years ago. I'd been ill, I rested too much (I think) in a bed which was too soft (it rounded my shoulders, I wasn't using my lungs properly) and it was only when I made myself take a short walk around the garden every couple of hours, that I started to improve.
We were newly married, had no kids at the time, I was between jobs and really had nothing to do but recuperate. That was my first lesson in NOT resting too much, even when running a fever. Instead I discovered a crabapple tree in the jungle at the bottom of our rented garden and made crabapple jelly.

Hang in there, keep sketching and stop for a short walk even if it's only the inside length of the house a few times.

And if you can't do that - check out pre-exercise stretches, especially those that open up the chest area, make you stretch back with your arms especially. Ask your PT people about them.

Good luck with shaking this one. You can do it!

Marg

ScentofCedar

Well...this may not help at all ~ but then again, it might. I had a tick bite this year. And I got Lyme's disease. I became very, abnormally, horribly weak. Then, I couldn't breathe. Then, because my immune system was shot, I got pneumonia (no ear infections, though! :smile: ). While I was on antibiotics for the pneumonia and just after I had finished antibiotics for the Lyme's?

I caught the very worst, most long-lasting cold of my life.

I am still not breathing properly, but I am definitely on the mend.

I am attributing all of this to the tick bite and the illnesses come of the depressed immune system that comes with it.

Treatment is doxycycline twice a day for three weeks.

So simple.

But the illness itself is frequently missed and progresses to ever more serious illness until it is correctly treated.

Have you been checked for the three prevalent tick-borne illnesses?

Check out the Mayo Clinic site under "ehrlichiosis" to learn which illnesses are present in your area.

I remember when you gave your first piano recital.

How exciting that was for me to think about!

Have you continued to play, in addition to painting?

Barbara

Penta

Allow yourself these small pleasures you have discovered and indulge yourself in them. Who knows where the nature journaling and watercolors may take you. It might open up a whole new world that you never imagined.

You are ill and your body needs this time to recover.

Take good care.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Whine away.

Between the heat and humidity I've barely spent any time at all outside. My allergies are absolutely horrid this year. Plus I don't have the money to buy the medications for it.

I've been looking forward to fall for months, and we've STILL got 90 some degrees outside. Good grief.

I'm glad I asked mother in law for a treadmill last year for xmas. Smartest thing I ever did.

It's gonna be a loooooong winter. (cabin fever is gonna be brutal lol)

With all of the rain, any chance you have some sneaky mold or mildew growing about the house somewhere that's been missed? Like in the basement or around the foundation? It can make ppl really sick even in small amts.

Hope you get over the ear infection and pneumonia quickly. :flower:

((hugs))

That's a good point, Lisa.

A couple years ago, Tink and I were sick. Not horrible, but had this lingering icky feeling and could not shake it. Turned out to be mold.

Not a bad idea to have that checked...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I appreciate the input ladies. I'll ask GP to check out the allergy end of things.

I have been enjoying the drawing & painting. I just want to get out of here for more than an hour or two. That hour is generally for a doctor's appointment or PT. Yeehah!

I'm following doctor's orders & doing the treatment necessary; it's just taking too long (said in a very whiny voice).

I'll continue to enjoy the artistic side of life. I'll continue to document, in word & art, the nature that I've missed over the years by being too busy to sit still. I may even start to write - a book sounds good. War & Peace is taken, but at the rate my recovery is happening I figure I have time to write a book of that length.

How about a novel - the storyline a fantasy. You know, happy well-adjusted family type thing. My fantasy.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sooooooo what your telling us is your watching :nonono: paint :painter: dry.

I would say in a world full on negatives, you have found a positive.

When I am feeling sick(er) I start taking 5000 mg. of Vitamin C a day. It doesn't last, you tinkle it out. That's why you have to take so much. But it helps boost your immune system.

And as far as walking in the rain? I do all the time. I worry that someday there will be a time when I can't walk in the rain. That I'll be in a rest home or something like that.
-It's a secret passion of mine to want to take elderly people out in the rain - I hope if I get there someone wheels me out to let me feel it on my skin. It's mostly why I hardly use an umbrella.

And as far as walking/ YOU GO where ever you can go. Just walk in place.

Glad to see your artwork is expanded! VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU!

Hugs
and here's a bottle of port - if you're going to have a good wine the next time you uncork let it be this! :smile:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
Can't believe I missed this yesterday. Haven't had the time to read all the responses. Whine when ever you want it. I'll bring you some cheese from Wisconsin. :smile:

Seriously, I'm sorry you aren't feeling better. Double ear infection and pneumonia. Take it easy. I'm glad you are finding positives to look at! Hugs.

Sunlight

oooo...watercolors I love them and havent done any in years. hmmm I really must get me some again.

wish we had your rain, my yard is a desert now.

Linda,

I hope you're feeling better ASAP!!! You have such a great attitude and sense of humor - If you're ever comfortable enough with it, please post some of your drawings. They sound so beautiful!!!

And, don't forget all of your cyber friends when you become a famous author and illustrator - How about autographed copies for us??? :reading: :painter:

PLEASE GET BETTER SOON!!! :flower: WFEN

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ladies, I appreciate the support! You, in your own CD board way, help me through my darker days. I cannot wait for 2007 to be over. Rotten year.

Again thank you.

WFEN - I'll consider it. First I have to get a scanner for my computer. husband would go nuts scanning stuff.

Linda,

If I had a scanner, it would be on its way to you now... Thanks for thinking about letting us see your :painter: artwork. It's absolutely amazing that you've developed this talent.

I've always wanted to be able to draw. easy child draws beautifully. My grandmother(father's side)was a wonderful artist - She loved to do landscapes. I was always fascinated by them because she never had a lesson.

I hope each day finds you feeling a bit better and stronger...WFEN

F

flutterbee

I think that you, Sue, BBK, Janet and I need to get get together and commiserate. It HAS been a rotten year.

Sending uber-good thoughts that you are feeling better soon. :flower:

DammitJanet

Hey....maybe after xmas I will just leave town and start driving west...lol. I will have all the addresses off the xmas card list so I can figure out my pit stops...lmao.