drive thru

Jena

bars, yes that's my idea today... what could be wrong with-that? like starbucks yet with a little something something in it.

this way no need to plan an outting, you can just go thru the drive thru. is that wrong?? :)

clearly i need a vacation ya think??? i must sound like an alcholic as of late, funny thing is i never drink.....

now if i could return and begin this drive thru idea of mine i may just drink :)

just think stressed on way back from difficult child's doctor appointment. hey go thru drive thru bar, you dont have to drink on road you can drink once you get home get difficult child settled than sit down with your drink.

i may be onto something here lol

DammitJanet

Not quite the same thing but we had a drive thru convenience store here and I thought it was the next best thing to sliced bread!

Just imagine...you get inline and never have to get out of your car to get a soda, pack of cigs, couple of candy bars, case of beer, magazine, whatever. Heaven.

I have no idea why the place shut down. I thought it was genius. Maybe it was location.

I bet if a place like that offered full service gas and a drive in convenience store it would make a mint! Something to think about...lol.

Jena

lol ahhh

the brave soul to respond to my insane thread lol. we just found out gotta pay for bags, thats another 120, than taxi to get to hospital another 40 from airport..... his card is outta room and we're just like wow we are going to be paying this off forever. he's like this is insane. i said yes it is. maybe i could just nicely ask her to eat?? LOL

lmf64

Wyoming has drive thru bars. You drive up, they mix you a drink in a plastic cup and off you go. (or at least they used to)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have drive thrus here that sell candy, cigs, beer and pop, and chips... Basic vices. One about 3/4 mile from my house... Walk there when the snow's too deep to drive!

susiestar

Roll With It
I worked at a liquor store in OH that had a drive thru. You had to walk in to buy wine and liquor, but beer and low alcohol wines (like MadDog) and many of those pre-mixed cocktails were all available in the drive thru area - cold. We also sold ice but were not allowed to sell cups or straws or spoons. We had all the convenience foods too!

The only customer that really bothered me (besides one difficult child relative who would walk up with his twins in the stroller) was a cop from a different little "city" that is inside the Cincy area. He came through in his cop car and handed us a grocery sack (paper) full of empty beer cans (Hudepohl, don'tcha know!) and get 6-12 cold ones. He came in twice a day - on his way to work and on his way home. I once used a pay phone to call the safety commissioner in his city of employment and report him. They laughed at me and said it wasn't a problem because he was a better driver drunk than sober! So I alerted the safety commissioner of a city that he had to drive through to get from our store to his job. He was a cousin's wife and was NOT amused. I know they pulled him over several times because I saw it. No idea if they ever charged him. I do know that at the same time there was a guy in our town who had over 20 DUIs and still had his license! His driver's license!

But I can see why a drive through bar could be handy, lol!

What I hate about my current state is that you can buy cold beer (only 3.2 beer but you can still get drunk on it) at the same gas station you buy your gas at. It is considered a "non-intoxicating alcoholic beverage" af all the stupid things!! You still get a DUI, open container, etc... if you are caught drinking it and driving. Still doesn't slow lots of people down!

susiestar

Roll With It
In Oregon you can only buy liquor in state run stores but you can buy beer and wine in supermarkets. Portland is esp well known for breweries and that part of the US has some wineries that are supposed to be really good. Alcohol is sold from 7am to 2:30 am. If you get ANY chance and want to go enjoy an adult activity, see if there are any wineries near where you will be. They also have quite a few small breweries (as opposed to the Budweiser breweries, etc...) that are supposed to make great beer. So if you really like beer or wine you may have some opportunities to go and enjoy them. If nothing else, go to the store and ask about locally made wine or beer to take to the hotel and enjoy. Or to go enjoy somewhere else, lol! (I looked the laws up for you.)

If you are going to be in Portland, here is a list on 9 free things to do there (includes a bookstore that sounds amazing): http://portlandor.about.com/od/artsentertainment/tp/Free_Things.htm Also has links to local breweries

Here is a link to factory tours in OR - has several different websites to look at. These can be a lot of fun and you can find some great deals on factory tours. If difficult child is up to a field trip one of these might be interesting, otherwise you might want to take soem time away to recharge yourself. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds...+in+Oregon&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85

I KNOW you are going to be swamped, and likely overwhelmed, but they should be able to take care of difficult child for an afternoon at least a few times during your stay. You really MUST make sure you have time to be away from difficult child and do things that you will enjoy and that will recharge your spirit. It seems overwhelming now, but you will be better able to help difficult child through this if you take time away from her. It will help you BOTH and she is likely to spend a fair amount of time in therapy by herself and with other kids with similar problems. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds...+in+Oregon&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85

If you are going to have access to a printer, you might check out one of those coupon sites that gives you one coupon per day for a local business or attraction. It might get you a nice meal or a discount on something you otherwise would use. The hospital should be willing to let you print something, if nothing else.

I thought if I put these in a link you could pull them up on your phone (if you have that service) and not use so much internet time - might be helpful on the phone bill if you don't have unlimited internet. Also, if you take a laptop, you can put kindle on your it and they have quite a lot of free/cheap books available.

DDD

They used to have drive thru's in parts of La. where you could get mixed drinks on the go. My sister in law used to drive thru and then drive thru and then drive thru. Now she has about ten years of success via AA. I still can't imagine being able to get a Martini to sip on the road. Yikes! DDD

PS: Two more ideas for your trip. You can go to the public library and use their computer to check in and let us know how you all are doing. Also, if you get ragged out and need a break check to see if they have a Ronald McDonald house in the area. Everyone I know who has stayed there praise the support and accomodations.

Marguerite

We have drive-through liquor shops in Australia. We also have strict drink-driving laws - our young people in the first three years of driving must have ZERO blood alcohol.

The advantage of a drive-through liquor store, is if you are going to a party or a friend's for dinner and you want to pick up a bottle of wine or slab of beer.

Marg