DSL internet connection speed question

ctmom05

For those of you who have, or are familiar with DSL - what is considered an adequate upload and download speed?

I've been plagued with connectivity issues(phone/computer) since connecting to DLS about a year ago. Tech support by phone and a home visit did not rectify the problems anywhere close to my satisfaction.

I used what little tech skills I have and may have things back up to snuff. It involved replacing the little unit that the DSL line and phone line plug into; I needed a filter instead of a splitter.

Now that things seem to be back on track, I am curious to know the speed that you have with your DSL connection?

I went to this site: http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/ to test my speed.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ct mom - it has very little to do with speed - it DOES however have EVERYTHING to do with HOW CLOSE you are to the DSL tower that transmits -

You can be just 'in" the area but the signal is weak and this would cause you connectivity problems.

I have had dial up - then DSL light - then ROadrunner - and back to DSL light (I hate Time Warner with a fervent passion) and now I have DSL medium.

When I had DSL light - I had TONS of problems. Constantly got kicked off, wrong port - etc. Went to Road runner and had no problems. Thought HUH!
Then they put up another tower closer to our area and BINGO - even DSL light worked....just not great for music downloads.....DSL medium is good price and does what I need it to do.

Call your phone carrier - and ask them how close you are to the tower for your area. That may be your answer.

wakeupcall

Chris, I just ran mine and it was: Download = 4.544 Mbps; Upload = 362.81 kbps.

Is that what you wanted to know? I am using ComCast (TimeWarner), though I've been thinking of changing to ATT because it's so much cheaper.

ctmom05

I am pleased with myself for accomplishing so much this week.

I rose to the challenge and did some problem solving on my own. Tech issues are not my forte. The DSL signal is now very strong, speed is good, and I am a happier customer.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmmmm, mine is :

Download = 2.099 Mbps
Upload = 380.37 kbps

I'm assuming this is really good. lol Cuz I can download even huge files very quickly.

I won't use a cable company for anything. At least not in our area. First they charge you an arm and a leg, then half the time the service doesn't work or work properly.

I use sbc (AT&T I think it's the same thing) for dsl and dish for the tv. All paid via the phone bill which makes it even cheaper.

We had some major problems with both the phone and the internet the other day. But Nichole discovered the problem was with the outside line coming into the house. A few puppies back one of them chewed it. If it gets moved out of position it messes things up. So she put it back into position. lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
ctmom

Yours is really good.:D

I know that sbc has come up with a level, or more, of faster service than mine that are somewhat more expensive. But although husband and Travis would both like to have it, the service we have now suits my needs.

I think ours does great since it currently has 3 computers and 2 laptops running off it and it's only set up for 2. lol