Duckie has her first state ELA test tomorrow

tiredmommy

I'm not too worried about her understanding the content; she's a smart kid. I hope she slows down to read the directions and each question. And that she remembers to put her name on the test, lol!

I picked her up a cute little encouraging card and a little kiddie necklace with a star-shaped pendant and a rectangular pendant (kind of like a dog tag) that says "shine". I put them in her take home folder for her to find once she gets to school. :)

KTMom91

I hope she doesn't fill in the Scantron to look like a Christmas tree...speaking from experience here...

tiredmommy

Lol! One of her friends got a perfect score on a math practice test... except she forgot to fill-in the bubble sheet. The poor kid could have gotten a zero if it were a real test. :hammer:

Andy

difficult child had State tests a few weeks ago - you know the ones every kid has to do every single year? We missed one afternoon before the tests started and when I asked if he had homework for that day, he said no. The class was spending the ENTIRE class time LEARNING how to fill out those "bubbled" info and answer sheets! I would hate to be the teacher in front of 30 some 7th graders trying to make each of them understand how to do that. It is hard to teach common sense - difficult child thought it all was a waste of time as I am sure most kids would so their attention would certainly not be on the teacher. What a chaotic day that must have been in the classroom as no one probably felt the need to pay attention. This should have been understood years ago for the 7th graders as each state test is a similar format. If they learn it when they are 9, then WHY do they have to spend 45 minutes relearning it when they are 13 and 14? I am sure they were about Duckie's age when they were introduced to "Bubbles".

tiredmommy

Andy- I think they review "bubbles" every year until at least high school.

Thanks for the good wishes! I think she'll do fine. Although I was a little concerned when I learned some of her friends (whose parents are teachers) were reviewing last night. We, on the other hand, went for a relaxing evening, good night's sleep and solid breakfast. :thumbsup:

busywend

You picked the right night before a state test routine, in my humble opinion. You can not study for these things. You either know it or you don't.

I hope Duckie opens her folder this morning and it brings a bright smile! I hope she feels your encouragement and support while wearing that necklace!

Kathy813

Staff member
TM,

I'm sure that she did great! As far as "bubbles" review, I can't speak for earlier grades but we don't review how to fill in bubble sheets in high school. I can't even imagine my students' faces if I told them that we were going to practice filling in circles.

.:rofl:

~Kathy