Duckie might need a new name

tiredmommy

I've been calling my difficult child "Duckie" for most of the time since I joined the board in 2004 (she was three). It started as a joke because she would Duckie and cover when playing catch in the back yard.

But, Duckie turns 9 next week. And Duckie sounds like such a little girl name. I'd like some thoughts on a new board name for her. Maybe we can do a poll if there's more than one I especially like. :)

Here's a bio of sorts: She's a good student but can be very disorganized. She likes Club Penguin, Toontown, Littlest Pet Shop, American Girl and Build-A-Bear but considers herself a tomboy. She has a wickedly evil sense of humor. She plays nicely (and appropriately!) with boys because, in her words, they're people too!

She's lazy and sluggish about chores, etc. Her sensory issues still rear their ugly head from time to time. Has a huge sense of entitlement. Tends to be anxious, which turns easily to anger and frustration. She has music talent but doesn't wish to study and practice. Loves to draw and create things.

Loves animals and they love her right back. Usually empathetic to others that are struggling (unless their behavior impacts her). She loves to swim and is doing quite well in her lessons. Is learning to stand up for others when she has the power to do so. Is a great girl scout. Has been a cheerleader for three seasons. Manipulates her Daddy an awul lot. Is self conscious about her asthma and allergies. An only child.

So... any ideas?

JJJ

Oh no no! :nonono: She remains Duckie! I have a hard enough time keeping everyone straight. And my other board (not parenting related) just had a bunch of old members change their names. I can't deal with this too!!!:angrygirl:

But if you insist...maybe Swan? lol

mstang67chic

Going Green
I agree.....she's always going to be Duckie! LOL Besides, it doesn't always sound like a little girl name. Didn't you ever see Pretty In Pink? I still can't watch Two and a Half Men without seeing Duckie do the lip sync to that song in the record shop!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
You may have to find a different pet name at home but she'll always be Duckie to me.

I still call ktbug, ktbug. Sometimes it's just the Bug. She hates it....I just smile. Reminds me of the earlier days when I could rock her to sleep & dance cheek to cheek with her in the middle of my kitchen.

I won't lose those memories.

DammitJanet

Aww...She will always be Duckie to us...lol. Its not a little girls name anyway...ever watch NCIS? There is a Duckie on there!

Star*

call 911........call 911
After you described her - except for the cheerleader thing?

You could call her Star. lol .....(Oh don't be scared) :tongue: - she's so right on the money about boys.

If there were a name to graduate to from Duckie ---as a young lady?

She has turned into a beautiful Swan....which leads us to calling her Swannie

That sounds like Swammie....and so we are back to

Duckie ;)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hey I have an idea....

How about

Duckie?

N started calling K- Kiki when she was very young from "Kiki's Delivery Service" (Awesome cartoon by the creator of Totoro) and because she could not pronounce her real name. She will always be Kiki even though we call her both names off and on.
Some names just stick.

susiestar

Roll With It
What about Daisy? Girl Scout, great smile, happy child. She may still be thought of as Duckie here, but if you start using another name here eventually it will start to be used.

What does SHE think about the name Duckie? Is SHE ready and wanting a new name? Or is she fine with Duckie? in my opinion that should be the important thing. What SHE wants.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Keep Duckie.

My favorite cousin Anne is going to be 60 this year and she's still "Peach" to me and I'm still "Tudie" to her.

:D

Suz

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone... I guess it stays Duckie! :bigsmile:

Susie- This forum is "my" place to go, I respectfully decline including Duckie in the decision making process. ;)

flutterby

Fly away!
easy child's aunt's name is Merinda. Of course, when he was little he couldn't say Merinda, so he called her ReRe (long e). He's 18 years old and a full foot taller than her (she's only 4'10"), and it's still Aunt ReRe.

Duckie stays.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have a niece ReRe, Heather!

And even tho it appears the polls have closed, I vote Duckie, too.

She may rename herself one of these days, anyway. Who knows. Names like that come from the funniest places and things.