Ducks in a row...

unsure

Hi ladies~
Can I please ask all you experienced mom's for your input. I just got the call about my difficult child's IEP meeting...it's set for March 3rd and I want to make sure I'm totally prepared for this. So any information to have with me or questions to ask to be ready for this, I would greatly appreciate you help.
We had one of these meetings a couple years ago and it's all just so overwhelming when it's new and I think I let alot slip through my fingers the first time around and don't want that to happen again. I want to go in there armed and ready to get my difficult child what we need...proper diagnosis, support system, resources, etc.
I've been quietly reading the posts and they have stuck so many chords in me. You're all such strong, focused, loving and supportive mom's/caregivers. I truly admire each and every one of you and your challenges. I look forward to your advice and guidance.
Thanx so much~

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I went to my stepson's IEP meeting totally unprepared as was husband. However one thing you need to keep in mind is that they are a school and as such are required to make adjustments so that your difficult child gets a decent education. So given the ODD - what adjustments can they make to help? What are some of the issues he runs into in school? Is there anything he needs specific help with?

Just my $0.02. Make a list and then group it all into an outline. It will help!

unsure

Thanx StepTo2...that's what I'm in the process of doing right now...gather all the info, lists needed. Someone, and I apologize for not remembering who, suggested keeping a dairy of difficult child's day to day behavior...I started it the day the suggestion was made so any Dr. appts we have to address this I won't forget.

unsure

I was discussing that with my sister earlier...I have a packet of info from the last meeting at home that I'm going to pull out and go through cuz I'm not sure at this point exactly what is what, but I'm thinking yes and this is a follow-up due to a change in his behavior and needs.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Unsure, I'd start by going to the SpEd Director's office and asking for your difficult child's file to be copied. Then you will know exactly what the school is starting/working with (I just did it today, actually, even tho I have the records - was checking for anything new that might have slipped in).

Once you have that in hand, you'll know where you are starting from. Whether or not he has an IEP in place, you also need to understand the issues that they are reconvening the IEP team. Every 2 or 3 years, they have to go over the IEP whether it needs it or not. But if this is to address new behaviors or issues, you'll want to know that before you go in to the meeting so you can research them before hand so you are not blind-sided in the meeting. Ask for incident reports from his building, ask his teachers, principal, etc.